Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ShouldI buy an '05 800 Classic in perfect, new condition with less than 1000 miles for $3000.?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Depends on your stable of bikes you already own I guess.

Sounds like a good deal to me, but at the same time I wouldn't be buying one as I don't need that new of one.

If you're asking about resale value, then I really don't know. I would guess a nearly new 2005 model could be sold for more than that.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to know the actual valve clearances on that new of 800 just to see if Kawasaki actually had them to the correct measurements as they went out of the factory, lol.
Is there a reason to think they weren't set right?

Also, this is the first 800 I've ridden, and I was surprised that it shifts more Honda-like, smooth and quiet, without the 900's loud clunking.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Is there a reason to think they weren't set right?
Not on the 800's that I've read - but I don't know as 800's have been out of production long enough that questions as to initial build quality are pretty rare. I ask because I have read the same question posed of another current Kawasaki - I believe the Concours, but I'm not sure. Whichever bike it was, a number of people in a forum thread had the same question - if Kawasaki was churning out that particular bike so fast that it wasn't checking valve measurements correctly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would say yes also!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds like it's priced right to me. My only concern would be, how long has it sat? Those miles are so low I'd be a little leery that it could be the same old oil too.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like it's priced right to me. My only concern would be, how long has it sat? Those miles are so low I'd be a little leery that it could be the same old oil too.
The owner says he used to commute about a half-mile to work everyday for a couple of years, then when his daughter was born he rode even less!
I know what you mean about the oil- when I bought my '06 last year with only 1800 miles on it, I was pretty sure that at least the oil filter was the original, based on the fact that it was put on with 200 ft.lbs. or so of torque!
The oil was clean, but I went to Mobil ! right away and have had zero problems and no oil usage between changes. If I get this one, it will probably get frequent dino changes until 2000 or so, and then go to synthetic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i paid $2500 for a 2003 vn800b classic with 15,000 miles a year ago. it came with windshield, light bar, cobra pipes, padded back rest and led lighting. used bike prices have risen this year so its sounds like a good deal. I share the concern about oil and seals on a six year old bike with so few miles. good luck

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would say it sounds like a good deal. I bought a 95 800A 6049mi this year and had to replace some rubber fuel system part's & clean the stand safety switch ( 16 yrs old ) otherwise no problems & it runs great.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, did you buy it?
Yeah, I bought it and rode it home. It now has just over 1k miles on it.
Can't say that I'm real happy about it since I bought it for the wife, and I like just about everything about it better than my 900! Crap!
Now what am I going to do???

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
How to unlove your 800

Can't say that I'm real happy about it since I bought it for the wife, and I like just about everything about it better than my 900! Crap!
Simple, buy a V2K. You'll never think about the 800 again.:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good luck with it. Sounds like you got a good deal.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well you want to make sure your wifes safe , so you may need to take regular inspection rides with it :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Nice clean bike !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts