Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer talked me into Roadhouse slip-ons not satisfied with sound W/125ci. should have more thumping than the SMALLER Harley motors, any and all help please.:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dealer talked me into Roadhouse slip-ons not satisfied with sound W/125ci. should have more thumping than the SMALLER Harley motors, any and all help please.:D
HK3
Sucks at idle
Sucks even more when trying to be Fonzie at idle and you rev it.
Excellent once rolling and the rpm"s get to mid-range and
Even better when you throttle it from there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I like best is the way my HK3's even have the "exhale" of the old muscle cars. Thyping the sound is aweful, but kinda like "rrrooooo-phfaaah" lol, well I tried... :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love my Vance and Hines Powershots. They have a deep, throaty sound. They sound good, not tinny like some. They have nice, clean lines and they are reasonably priced from Dennis Kirk.............:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I loved my Roadhouse slip ons' sound, just not the size (looking too stock). They sound way better than my H/K exhaust. You can pull out the baffles and take the fiberglass wrapping off, or cut out the cheese grater part of the baffle out and weld in strait pipe. Either way sounds really good

·
Registered
91 Posts
I loved my Roadhouse slip ons' sound, just not the size (looking too stock). They sound way better than my H/K exhaust. You can pull out the baffles and take the fiberglass wrapping off, or cut out the cheese grater part of the baffle out and weld in strait pipe. Either way sounds really good
Just installed a set of Cobra Slashdowns. I can't say enough good about the way the sound and perform. They are the throatiest deepest singin pipes I've ever heard. And I love the billet tips that finish them off too. You should really consider them. :D:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
The techs at Power Commander say that the only pipe combo that out performs stock pipes is the Cobra Shorts. I have a set of V&H Powershots, my brother has a set of Roadburners. The V&H's are a lot quieter but sound great with the throttle opened. The Burners are great for short runs, but I noticed my brother wearing ear plugs on trips!! The Harley sound at idle is unique due to the timing,,,one, two, skip, one, two, skip,,,,potato, potato,,potato etc. The idle on the Vulcan is smooth and uniform. Don't complain, the roar of the 125 inch twin is more than enough compensation.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
difference is like a Tuba vs a Clarinet

The Harley sound at idle is unique due to the timing,,,one, two, skip, one, two, skip,,,,potato, potato,,potato etc. The idle on the Vulcan is smooth and uniform. Don't complain, the roar of the 125 inch twin is more than enough compensation.
curm'y, hd and v2k use single pin cranks.. connecting rods, both pistons rise and fall together with the rear piston (#1) achieving TDC before the front piston (#2). hd are 45* vs kaw 52* angle (= timing difference).

The new hd Twin Cams have the cylinder valve timings opposite each other such that when the rear cylinder is on the compression/fire strokes, the front cylinder is on the exhaust/intake strokes. The actual firing method is more fire-skip-fire-skip with the intervals being fire#1-45+360, fire#2-315+360.
The kaw's are similar w/52* V and the timing being only 7* off, not really discernable at even idle rpms.

ok, so why does the harley have a UNIQUE sound? its not the timing but the fact that they use LARGE SINGLE valves in leiu of smaller dual valves (4 valve head).

Larger valves sound different (deeper per rpm/volume) than smaller (more efficient) valves. Same as on those big block chebby's. hope this clears the air? :lamp:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I now run Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro HP. I had HK 3" big straights, but had too many gripes from fellow riders, about the noise. The big straights are now for sale, if any one might be interested. They sound awesome, but are loud. [email protected]

·
Registered
616 Posts
car alarms worst nightmare

DIY 3.5 " glass pacs, sets off alarms EVERYWHERE! but real dirty to ride behind, hence ?? banished to the rear of the group LOL
Also I tend to lean TOO far

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have Cobra longshots with quiet baffles. They are awesome, still loud when you crack them open but nice low rumble at idle. Your not going to achieve that HD sound no matter what pipe you try, its just not the same. I love the look and sound of my pipes and wouldnt change for nothing. Last time I rode with a group, one of the HD owners did say that it was the closest he heard to a HD and that it was nice and loud but not too loud, I told him thats with the quiet baffles in, so you can imagine what its like with the regular baffles that came with my Cobras. Plus my Cobras were very reasonably priced on Ebay.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Plus my Cobras were very reasonably priced on Ebay.
If your in the market for Cobra pipes Al at Accessories Intl. Gave me a screamin deal on my Slashdowns. I searched eBay, Craigslist and every bike shop from Paskaloola to Tim-buc-2 and he beat em all by 40 bucks. He's really the best I've found to work with. (and I don't get any commission for saying so;);) )

www.motoshop.com

888-725-3679
Intl: 786-242-5400

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hard Krom

Hi there, I created an account just today I had to mention the Hard Krom 3" Big Straights as no one had. I love these pipes, great sound, all the way around. I like a louder pipe but not stupid loud. These have removable baffles. They look GREAT. My wife even loves them. I could not say much to the performance over stock as I don’t have enough experience to judge but I am very happy with them.

http://www.hardkrome.com/pages/productsDetail.asp?productID=5320&appid=101

Curly

C

·
0 Posts
curm'y, hd and v2k use single pin cranks.. connecting rods, both pistons rise and fall together with the rear piston (#1) achieving TDC before the front piston (#2). hd are 45* vs kaw 52* angle (= timing difference).

The new hd Twin Cams have the cylinder valve timings opposite each other such that when the rear cylinder is on the compression/fire strokes, the front cylinder is on the exhaust/intake strokes. The actual firing method is more fire-skip-fire-skip with the intervals being fire#1-45+360, fire#2-315+360.
The kaw's are similar w/52* V and the timing being only 7* off, not really discernable at even idle rpms.

ok, so why does the harley have a UNIQUE sound? its not the timing but the fact that they use LARGE SINGLE valves in leiu of smaller dual valves (4 valve head).

Larger valves sound different (deeper per rpm/volume) than smaller (more efficient) valves. Same as on those big block chebby's. hope this clears the air? :lamp:
I think that means that the Vulcan will NEVER sound like a Harley no matter how much you spend on pipes.

I don't understand what is wrong with the stock pipes. I guess I am getting old, my ears are still ringing from my Yamaha 360 from 40 years ago.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I think that means that the Vulcan will NEVER sound like a Harley no matter how much you spend on pipes.
I don't understand what is wrong with the stock pipes. (theyr big, ugly, heavy and dont rumble)
I guess I am getting old, my ears are still ringing from my Yamaha 360 from 40 years ago.
bugs, Yes. no it wont. and yes you are.
it's not the pipe that makes a harley sound like a harley. it is the way the head is constructed.. w/big large single valves. they aren't the most efficient but sure make for a deep(er) sound. probly why they dont make much power for thier displacement.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi there, I created an account just today I had to mention the Hard Krom 3" Big Straights as no one had. I love these pipes, great sound, all the way around. I like a louder pipe but not stupid loud. These have removable baffles. They look GREAT. My wife even loves them. I could not say much to the performance over stock as I don’t have enough experience to judge but I am very happy with them.

http://www.hardkrome.com/pages/productsDetail.asp?productID=5320&appid=101

Curly
Curly, Sorry pal , I cannot agree about the sound of those pipes. I had them on my second V2K and thought they were great, until I passed the bike down to my son & he passed me on the highway one day!!! From THAT perspective , those are abnoxiously loud & harsh!! They look good , they also perform VERY well, but from ANY perspective other than the rider /psngr, THEY ARE NASTY LOUD!!
Thats just MY perspective , formed when my son passed me at WOT !!! Yikes it was L O U D !!! and HARSH too
As for sounding like a Harley, it will never happen, due mostly to the fact that the V2K is a 4 valve cyl head & the HD is a 2 Valve design
I prefer my DIY glasspacs !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts