Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in my introductory post, picked bike up from son of one of my wife's gal friends as a wreck. Bike had been run over a curb then laid down on right side.

Picked it up a month ago and been cruising ebay getting parts and progress in that area is coming along, replacement wheels, pipes, gas tank and a couple other items already on hand.

In viewing the chassis from above it appears to me that the swingarm is tweaked to the left. As I don't have another to view in comparison can any offer an opinion from the attached pics. The guy I bought the wheels from is giving me a swingarm he has from the bike he's been parting out as he's already sold the chassis and has little market for the arm. When it arrives I can compare but am curious in advance of arrival.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Photos are some times misleading as the camera angle can make things appear much different than they really are. That said it looks like you did a good job of keeping the camera lined up vertically directly overhead.

As I look at the photo closely it appears that the swing arm has a slight bend in it (first photo) right near the front close to where it connects to the frame. Could just be a distortion in the photo but it looks like a slight curve if you follow the seam line on the top on the swing arm.

Best to look at a good bike from many different angles to confirm there is an issue. If the swing arm is bent I think you also need to look for bearing damage and also check the frame carefully as well as it is possibly tweaked too.

Must have been one heck of a curb at a fast speed!!

WB

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
what's that short black piece near the bottom? in your pic it looks bent a bit

·
Registered
48 Posts
You cannot tell with any certainty from these photos. A shot looking forward from the rear would be better though keep in mind the ends of the swing arm will flex inward when the axle is torqued to spec. Pics taken from above will give the appearance of a skew due to the angular differences. ....and to throw a bigger wrench in it all not all frame/swingarm combos are centered to the backbone and/or symmetrical.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Met with forum member Wild Bill today and looked at his. Appears that arm is definitely tweaked. Cross section of cast parts of the arm up near the junction of the main weldment is thin and not structurally as resistant to side loading. The good thing is I can tweak it back straight.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
so you going to bend it back straight? can you torch it with heat to make it easier?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The section where it bent is structurally thin, I figure it will go back without too much persuasion and I'd rather not use heat, if there is any temper in the metal at all enough heat to make it easier to move will only anneal, weaken it and make it more prone to move again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so you going to bend it back straight? can you torch it with heat to make it easier?

Well, I've been picking up replacement parts on eBay. The only front wheel I was able to find quickly was black powder coat. The seller also had a complete rear that matched though price wise it was higher than most of the others I had seen. He also had some other items that I needed and he had a swingarm that he was willing to give me if I purchased the other items so I went with the package deal.

Upon receipt of the swingarm it was readily obvious that the original was tweaked, about 3/4" to the left at the axle. Since I had a replacement I decided to have a go at straightening the original. If I could make it good again it would save me the hassle of repainting the black one to match the gun-metal colored frame of the bike I have.

Using the replacement as a visual reference I got out my short 2 lb hammer and had a preliminary whack. It moved about 1/2". A few more judicious whacks and taps and about 10 minutes time I had it back in shape with no apparent damage.

I did it cold, without any applied heat. I figured it was ambient temp when it bent, it can't be that difficult to make it move.

It shifted so easily that it's scary. The cast sections that connect the tubular legs to the main section, while "C" channel shaped are surprisingly thin in cross section.

At any rate it's back on two wheels and able to be rolled about rather than stay on the bike jack. :smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts