Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've listened to what seems like a million exhausts clips and have come to the conclusion that they don't really tell you much other than they are all louder than stock. I'm interested in opinions for those who have actually compared different pipes. From the sound clips I've listened to, it seems like the V&H slash-cuts (My personal fav looks wise) have a very blat blat blat type tinny sound. The cobra speedster longs seem to have a nicer tone to them, deeper, they look OK also. I wouldn't want something that is to loud or annoying. I know some have wrapped the V&H baffles to subdue the exhaust note a bit. Some Metric cruisers just sound crappy with aftermarket pipes. I heard a Honda last week (Not sure of the model) with V&H slashcuts on it and it really sounded like krap-o-la. I probably wouldn't even entertain changing them but the chrome on my exhausts is a bit pitted from previous owner lack of proper care. I thought about having my stockers Jet-Hot coated......had great luck doing this with other bikes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You want to hear what my Cobra Longs sound like.....exactly? Go to the Cobra website and listen to their soundclip of the Longs on the 900.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a set of the Bub Jughuggers on mine and it's a bit loud. But then when your going down the road most of the noise is behind you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure what kind of bike you have but have V&H bagger duals on my 06 Vulcan Nomad. They come with some type of fabric looking stuff wrapped around the baffles. Took out baffles, removed the fabric and put baffles back in. When I crank it up and let it idle and close my eyes it almost sounds like a hog.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You want to hear what my Cobra Longs sound like.....exactly? Go to the Cobra website and listen to their soundclip of the Longs on the 900.

Thanks Jim but unfortunately at work (My only source of internet....believe it or not, I live in an area with no high speed internet available) youtube is blocked. I can get photobucket sound/video but that's about it. Would you say it sounds similar to a Harley? My sisters 06 750 Honda with cobra's sounds similar to a sportster but not quite as loud. Do you feel it is irritating at a cruise (Highway) or is most of the sound behind you? I figured the longer exhaust would be mellower and put it more behind.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Your 900 has a totally different (to me) sound at idle than a HD. The idle is way too fast to get the lope you need and if you slow it down you can starve your engine of oil at idle. FYI, the Cobra website doesn't use YouTube for it's sound. You log in and go to the page for the 900's. If you click on the sound byte, it plays over Windows Media....a temp download to the 'puter. The Longs are kinda sharp at first, but quite frankly, I thought they were a skosh easier on the ears than my debaffled stockers. They do mellow out some after a couple thousand miles. There are quiet baffles on the market for them from Cobra and a couple of others. To really get them to "bark" add an aftermarket intake. That seems to really open things up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My VN900 had V&H slash cut pipes installed when I bought it and I struck a deal with the dealer to swap them out for stock pipes. The V&H were way too loud, particularly when just idling and putting around. Its one thing for pipes to be load when your on it, its another thing altogether how loud and obnoxious the V&H pipes are when just idling. I have heard a VN900 with Cobras and they sounded very good - not as barky as the V&H and deeper and more satisfying than stock pipes. Maybe someday I'll pony up some $ and swap the stock for Cobras...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jim...........didn't realize that. I'll give it a listen. I'll most likely just keep it stock and try some chrome polish to pretty it up or send them out to Jet Hot. Maybe I'll go with the black look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Hard Krome Strippers, the sound clips on you tube are better than what I can record. But, a lot louder and deeper sound than stock or de-baffled. As already stated, it doesn't sound like a Harley though. When I cranked up my bike the first time after installing the pipes, I smiled bigger than I have in a long time! I highly recommend Hard Krome.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I just put V&H baggers on my 1500 and last weekend went on a long ride with a firend and his Harly Heritage softail... the two bikes are indistinguishable if you arent looking. He rode mine at one point and as he was driving away and as he came back the pipes sounded just like his harley sounds to me.
my bike has that same loping "potato potatoe" idle and sounds very much like harley now...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I saw Samson came out with a few pipes. has anyone tried or heard them???

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here is a link to a sound clip of my Road Burner 3" Road Pros:
These are quieter than my stock debaffled pipes at idle, and have a much deeper sound out on the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didnt like how every pipe for the 900 Custom was straight so I went with the Cobra Speedster Swepts.. I think they match the line of the bike great.. They are not too loud when riding but in low rpm's when you get on it, they sound really nice.. Got alot of compliments on them.. Dont you just love the way the sun hits off them??:D:D:D

I think you can goto Cobras site and hear them.. I also bought the PCV, personally I think it did make a difference. It was popping alot the first few days when I had the pipes on and not the commander.. They didnt have a map for these pipes so I used the cobra speedster straights..

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Creeping up on it

Hello,

I find the appearance of the stock pipes okay but it appears that there is added horsepower at no cost by drilling the baffles. While I don't mind a bit more noise (back in the day we used Smitty mufflers and echo cans on our cars) I wonder if anyone has sort of creeped up on it by drilling a few holes and evaluating the extra loudness or pleasantness versus the apparent increase in power. In other words, do you get most of the increase in power by drilling two holes witha resultant medium increase in loudness?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a link to a sound clip of my Road Burner 3" Road Pros:
These are quieter than my stock debaffled pipes at idle, and have a much deeper sound out on the road.

Those sound really nice! They look great also.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I suggest you call an inspection station and ask what the rules are regarding exhaust. Some may be more lax than others regarding exhaust, but if the trooper who oversees the stations in your district catches them violating the regulations on inspections, they will be cited. I'm sure that the rules have probably changed since I retired from the PSP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts