Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the bike with 69,000ks last spring. Previous owner purchased it at 63,000kms from a very reliable kawa dealer that did a valve check and pre-sale verification including new tires. The bike is running perfect: immediate start, no smoke, no weird noise, great mileage and no leaks anywhere.
Upon my taking delivery, I changed the oil ( rotella synthetic ) spark plugs ( they were clean ) cooling and brake fluids and chain, sprockets, front and rear brake pads . I rode the bike this summer with a confident smile for 4000kms with no issue whatsoever.
After reading some posts on this forum, I am wondering if I should check my valve clearances. I do not feel like it is needed but the mileage is an issue.
My mechanical philosophy is not to fix what ain't broke. So I hesitate to open up the engine top.
Here in Canada winter is a bit long and this could be a nice project but again it could be a summer weekend project if I get a warning sign. Are there any signs warning a valve action being off tolerances ?

Just purchased a stock set of mufflers for 60.00$ and de-baffled them, will install them in the spring, I do not like the sound of the stock mufflers.

thank you for your advice,, great forum

Attachments

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
They are easy to check. The hardest part is wiggling the rear cover out to get to them and back in when done. Have done it several times on my 05 800 now, figure about 2-3 hours the 1st time, I can now do both heads in about an hour. If they are quiet, they need checked, should have a light tapping when set right, like a well oiled sewing machine I always say.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
My opinion is, on most vehicles, the first valve adjustment is the most crucial. The initial seating and strecthing of the valve will happen the most drastically in the earlier miles of the engine. It will get subsequently less drastic changes the more you do it further down the road. If they were actually done properly, I wouldn't worry about it. But you do have all winter to fool around with it...

When I do mine here shortly, I'm going to set them at the lose end of the spec. I'll take a little noise over for longevity between adjustments.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Unless you have a work order in hand saying when the valves were adjusted, then they were not done and need checking. Verbal records are not acceptable. This is an item that cannot be neglected.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That is a very nice looking bike. If even one valve goes tight on you the engine will suffer. You may hear all the clacking there could be but you will not here the silent one. Just get it behind you and you will sleep better. Search the forum for "valve clearance conflicting data" and read that a couple times before proceeding. Enjoy your 800...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Another good read here is the sticky in the 800 section "valve adjustment notes". There are only 2 stickies for the 800s, pictures and this one. If not absolutely sure they were done, I'd at least check them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi, thanks for the reply, they were checked at 20,000kms and again at 60,000kms. I talked to the dealer and first owner brought the bike in every 20,000kms from 2001 to 2009, Hey, I get the message, I will do the work anyway I have the time and the tools.

Thanks,
merry Xmas, and a happy new year to all

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Work is done, not as complex as expected. Nice to discover that all valves check well within clearances. Was nice to put everything back together.

thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts