Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I detailed the bike and decided to use wheel cleaner on the rims. I used Mother's foaming wheel cleaner. They did clean up nice.

However after the fact I read that this cleaner should not be used on motorcycle tires/rims.

I hope I didn't screw them up! I emailed the company.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05924.html#&slider1=13

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are you sure their not referring to chrome wheels ? I can't see the difference between car wheels/ tyres & M/C 1s !!!

Steve

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure their not referring to chrome wheels ? I can't see the difference between car wheels/ tyres & M/C 1s !!!

Steve
It says safe for chrome. I would think my chrome motorcycle wheels and a cars chrome wheels would be similar. That is why I sent them an email.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Haha then they could be on about Ally wheels ?? as some cleaners have acid type cleaner in them :( so if you left it on to long it will take the shine of the ally :( :( & you would not be a happy bunny ! :(

Steve

·
Registered
507 Posts
If there's no damage to the wheels' finish, I very much doubt you did any damage to the wheels. The caution is more likely about your tires.

There's probably some wax in the cleaner. Wax on car tires is no big deal because car tire sidewalls aren't going to come into contact with the road (normally...) so no effect on friction. Motorcycle tires are, obviously, a completely different story. That's why using "New Boffo Shineee-Tire (tm)" type products is not recommended for motorcycles.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there's no damage to the wheels' finish, I very much doubt you did any damage to the wheels. The caution is more likely about your tires.

There's probably some wax in the cleaner. Wax on car tires is no big deal because car tire sidewalls aren't going to come into contact with the road (normally...) so no effect on friction. Motorcycle tires are, obviously, a completely different story. That's why using "New Boffo Shineee-Tire (tm)" type products is not recommended for motorcycles.
Been missing your knowledge I here. Glad to see you are OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts