Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my cover on too soon the other night and part of it melted to my headlight. of course i didn't realize it until the next day after the bike had ran and it messed up the light even more. does anyone have a stock headlight for a '08 classic they would be willing to sell? seem to be between $80-$90 every where I've looked online and I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
the lens is glass right ? what about heating it up again and scraping it off there with something ?? then acetone or something should get the rest of the residue? Or is that scratches I see in a halo around the plastic?? OOPS>>>

??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I'd hit it with a blow dryer on high heat and scrape off as much as you can, then get some xylol/acetone to melt off the rest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try. I think I still might be SOL even if the burnt part comes off. I'm pretty sure the lens is plastic because of the way it bubbled out. The white discoloring reminds me of plastic that's been bent back and forth. I'm not sure yet if the discoloring is just on the surface or not. I'll cross my fingers and let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Man I want to know what happened, it he got it cleaned off?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The oven cleaner is powerful stuff. I even used that thing to remove anodizing of alloy parts. Use to buy alloy parts for my R/C cars before and stripped the ano color right off.
Not sure what EZ Off oven cleaner will do to clear plastic, (if the lens is, in fact plastic) but a lot of guys with Gold Wings use it to remove pin striping and other custom paint they no longer want on the bike. It doesn't seem to hurt the painted plastic surfaces.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still there

i'm pretty sure it is a 7" light. it's still messed up but usable. i was able to remove all of the burnt material from it but that's the best i can do without replacing the whole piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts