Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 2007 vn n900 with 7000miles it has cobra exhausts fitted and a fi2000 fuel managment system fitted,the settings are 4 2 2 i took ot to get it on rolling road and it only produced 39 bhp,why???? i am now depressed and dont know to do,any help please

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Stock intake? How much power are you expecting?

Next time you get it on the dyno, play around with the settings and find a better spot, my guess is that you are seeing a drop in power because of poor fuel mapping. From what others have said on this forum, I doubt you'll see much of a gain in power with JUST pipes. You'll see some, but not that much, the biggest gains seems to be when people couple it with an intake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
39 bhp

hi thanks for the imformation,it is on stock intake but manufactors state 52 BHP on kawasaki website when new,why the drop,i will be fitting a hyper charger soon ,what BHP should i expect then,thank you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Let me see if I understand. You have a 900 cc with cobra pipes (what kind), and a Cobra FI set at 4 2 2, but no after market air breather. You took it to a dyno to have a check and it read 39 HP not BHP, BHP is horse power at the crank, the dyno checks the HP at the rear wheel, BIGGGG differance. Advertized BHP is 50 but dyno is around 42-43 for Stock.

Pipes alone will not allow the engine to breath. No extra air going in no extra fuel needed.
Set your Cobra FI to 0 0 0 or remove it, you are running WAAAYYYY TO RICH.

When you get the air breather then you will need the Cobra FI, then you should get about 47-49 RWHP.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Kawasaki hp is measured at the crank, dyno hp is at the rear wheel. Normally 43 hp stock at the rear wheel. Get the bike professionaly tuned. Pipes plus air kits, properly tuned should result in 57hp at the rear wheel on the dyno on documented reports I have seen. One mans map is another mans nightmare ....

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Btw ... get a FI2000 power pro, it has auto tuning, no guess work needed.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I too would recomment to upgrade to a better fuel management. I stared with the Cobra FI2000R and upgraded to a PCIII with noticeable results.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Really????
Yes! Take a straw and pinch it in two places with your fingers, then try to blow through it. No go, right? Okay, let go with one hand, but keep the other hand pinching the straw. You still can't blow through it.

This is exactly the same thing that is happening with the VN900 stock setup. The stock exhaust are bad enough for reduced air flow due to the catalytic converter and all the baffles. But they are nothing worse than you would expect for stock pipes. However, the intake air box is its own little nightmare and should be ranked in the top 10 of engineering failures of all time. If you take it off you will see that air has to enter from the rear jug side of the air box after feeding between the cooling fins on the rear jug. So you are getting a very small amount of low pressure "heated" air into the air box. Then the air which has already made 2 right angle turns to get in the box, has to make 3 more right angle turns to get into the intake. This is why K&N took so long to make a filter to fit our bikes. K&N likes to say that their filters will give you more horsepower. But they don't stand a chance of doing that on the stock VN900 air box.

So adding pipes will help with the sound of the bike. But they can't touch the performance unless we also replace that twisted straw of an air box with something that will actually let the bike breath.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lol...I think Sfair was being uh...sarcastic.

And for the record, I do subscribe to the idea that if you want a powerful bike, buy one that comes that way. The 900's great, and has plenty of oomph for its size. But why torture the poor thing by pushing it past its mechanical limits? Drop 2-3 Gs and you'll be lucky to see 60 hp on the back of the motor, likely around 50 at the wheel, and the 900s famous reliability could likely go right out the window. What you end up spending in parts and professional tuning, you coulda just bought a nice used Meanie or M90. Never mind the fact you could be shopping for a new scoot in 30k miles anyways.

·
Registered
782 Posts

And for the record, I do subscribe to the idea that if you want a powerful bike, buy one that comes that way. The 900's great, and has plenty of oomph for its size. But why torture the poor thing by pushing it past its mechanical limits? Drop 2-3 Gs and you'll be lucky to see 60 hp on the back of the motor, likely around 50 at the wheel, and the 900s famous reliability could likely go right out the window. What you end up spending in parts and professional tuning, you coulda just bought a nice used Meanie or M90. Never mind the fact you could be shopping for a new scoot in 30k miles anyways.
I did think in the back of my head that it may have been sarcasm, but I figured the silent readers out there who didn't know about this might find the info useful too. I know it has been covered a hundred times in the last 2 or 3 years. But there's new riders on here every day.

Also, I agree with you on the whole buying the right bike for the job thing. I have switched to Cobra Exhausts and I made my own dog bowl air box. But the exhaust were mainly because I messed up the first ones when I learned to bounce off a pick up truck. And the air box was more for looks and to get a reusable air filter. The stock one is outrageous in cost when you have to replace it every 7000 miles. I love my 900 and will not be trading anytime soon. But I know her limitations and my next bike will probably be 1600 or bigger.

·
Registered
600 Posts

+1..............................

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Heres a copy of a post dating back to last year .... i have no reason to doubt its validity ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

problem was fixed with bytehead's info but thanks anyways guys. i already have a custom map for my bike and mods and byte head has the same one (i sent it to him) i had the 500 and 750 slots with 0% throttle set at -13 so i set it to +1 along with 1000 1250 and 1500 set at +1 then i have 1750 and on (which was set at +60) to +10. everything is perfect now.

i got it on the dyno that i took it to to get work done. my V&H SCS and Dobeck made 49hp, this setup made 54hp with a stock map. took it somewhere to get a custom map and they got 57hp SAE (real world). then this weekend i took it back to the first dyno and they got 59 hp uncorrected, both dynos were dynojet. i got 5ho extra just with a map. my mods are in my sig.

2008 Custom
Cobra Power Pro HP 2-1 Custom Baffle
Hypercharger
PCIII
Secondary Throttle Plates Removed
Dyno Tuned Custom Fuel Map
Lowered 3in
ISO Grips
Switchblade Windsheild
Custom Lights Under Tank
Kury Cruiser Kuzy

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Getting back on Thread.

hi i have a 2007 vn n900 with 7000miles it has cobra exhausts fitted and a fi2000 fuel managment system fitted,the settings are 4 2 2 i took ot to get it on rolling road and it only produced 39 bhp,why???? i am now depressed and dont know to do,any help please
Please post back with results. Some one else may have better settings for the Cobra Fi.

Don't Worry Be Happy. You have a great Bike, just need to dial it in. When you get it right it will make you smile every time you look at it just remembering the last ride.

If there is improvement you will feel it in the autonomic dyno. :) (That place between you thighs and your back).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts