Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my vn900 came of winter storage ran fine for 15 minutes then rough, found a little bit of water in the fuel emptied the tank fresh fuel pulled the plugs cleaned em they looked good checked my wires and coil connections look ok
it ill run but noticed forward cyl is cool and no warm air coming from forward pipe any ideas??? and can i ride it 10 miles to the dealer if im desprate?
thanks to all..

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
loose injector plug on the front jug ?? if you got spark, then maybe no fuel.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check to make sure you got the front plug wire properly seated, first. You might also pull it to make sure that something didn't come up and short out the contacts. You just never know. Could even be a bad plug. Hopefully you didn't get it cross threaded so it felt tight but wasn't actually down all the way. Also, check to make sure the plug wire is OK.

If it were me, and everything looked fine, and I felt I needed to take it to the dealer to look at it, I'd round up a friend with a trailer and trailer it down. I don't think I'd ride that far. I'm just thinking of all that fuel that would accumulate inside the cylinder with each stroke.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your advice ( i was a mech for 10 years plugs in ok and spark is good from coil thru wire . if im not getting fuel to cyl no chance of loading up with fuel right?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Another basic check would be listening to the injectors to determine if they are getting power from the ECU. With the engine running, access the injectors from the right side of the engine using a screwdriver with a long shaft. Tip on the injector and handle to your ear. Check the rear one first and listen for the steady clicking. Now do the same with the front.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
One other thought--after reading another similar thread, check to make sure you don't have a kinked or blocked fuel line to the front cylinder. Or possibly the portion of the throttle body that services the front cylinder is plugged or something.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That should turn on the FI light and set a code.
That's what I thought too but in reading through the shop manual (numerous times last night) there are no codes for the injectors. Seems strange to me. The only service is checking the voltage output at the ECU.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
That's what I thought too but in reading through the shop manual (numerous times last night) there are no codes for the injectors. Seems strange to me. The only service is checking the voltage output at the ECU.
Sojourner, you are 100% correct. 1500 and 1600's have such a code and I should have looked up to ensure that the 900 had one before opening my big mouth!
I am surprised there is none.

·
Registered
498 Posts
kind of a pain but if you have a test light you could unplug the front injector and proe the plug and start the bike. The light should pulse if your getting voltage. Even more of a pain but if you have voltage you could swap injectors (be careful and lube o-rings when reinstalling) and see if the front cyl fires with them swapped Out.

I assume warranty is gone on this bike? Out of curiousity is the bike stock? does it have a fuel processor on it? If so disconnect it and try it. where and how was it stored for the winter? if in an unheated moist environment check the connectors (all) and fuses for corrosion. I had an 05 rev(snowmobile) and every year w/o fail the kill switch on the handlebars would malfunction from corrosion. would have to clean then it would be fine for the season. Have you removed the air cleaner and make sure something didn't make a home in there maybe the front throttle body port is plugged? As you know you need fuel, air, spark to run. you can count air out if everything is clean. use the tool Sfair recommended or grab a spare plug and make sure you have spark. That only leaves fuel.

It would be strange but if a valve was way out of spec or stuck would also make it not fire. a compression test would tell you that.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
As an add, I do not recommend using a spark plug for testing. If you jump, drop, lose good ground, anything that if the ECU trys to fire a gap and there is none, your ECU might just object. The correct tool is the only safe way to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your insightfull reply, i stored it in my new shed and a time or 2 found condensation on the bike changed covers. No warranty totaly stock. I have spark,looks like i would have to lift the tank up a bit to touch injectors, Throttle body is clear. When i rode it the power would come on then bogg on and of so it sounded like water in fuel. I guess im headed for those injectors after i check the fuses. Ill keep you posted
Thanks to all for taking a moment to help me sort this out..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts