Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my tires and were looking at ME888s or Dunlops. Does anyone have online recommendations for tires?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
I shop JP cycles pretty regularly if I can't find the specific tire I want elsewhere (eBay, etc). They usually have a pretty good selection, and can get quite a few harder to find sizes as well.

www.jpcycles.com

One question before you buy... Have you considered Shinkos? Won't go into them too much here since there are plenty of other threads over tire brand, but did want to ask...

·
Registered
314 Posts
+1 on Rockymountainatvmc.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I have seen Shinko online, but do not know about them. A local shop has decent prices for Dunlop and there is a $40 rebate through Dunlop if you buy two. I wanted to compare the local shop prices of the two brands they recommended. They said the ME888s last longer than the Dunlop.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I will see what I can find on the forums.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I need to replace my tires and were looking at ME888s or Dunlops. Does anyone have online recommendations for tires?

I say go to your local dealer and give them a shot at it. Tell them to price match and show them the prices they have to meet/beat. They may also cut you a deal on an order/mount/balance combo. The online places get the tires from the same places your local dealer does. There is no reason your local dealer cannot be within a few dollars (yes even tax included) of online pricing. Plus you will be cultivating a local relationship that may well be worth more then the $10.00 you save on-line.

Oh yeah... and by the way... Shinko 777 series tires will serve you well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just be aware that if you live in PA you will get hit with an additional 2% sales tax on top of the 6% because they have a warehouse in Philadelphia. I recently ordered a set of Michelin Commander II's from them online and I noticed the tax charge was a lot more than it should have been. I emailed corporate and that was the response I got.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think if you shop among the "big" on-line sellers, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread, you'll do well...pretty much boils down to price shipped. I bought my ME888's at Dennis Kirk. Great price, fast shipping, and the tires I received were less than 6 months old. My local Kawi dealer (where I bought my bike) would not price match, however he did install them at a good price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The shop I talked to gave prices of $45 and $65 for tire install plus $50 tubes with $7 disposal.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I put pirelli's on my Vulcan 900. Had a lot of vibration from day one. They changed the front tire said it was a little out of round and rebalance the back. 4 or 5 trips back to the tire shop the technician rode it twice and he said it's just the nature of the tires but they pick up vibration from the road. I've never used pirelli's before and I never will again. But what he recommended what he puts on all his bikes are Bridgestone so that's probably what I will use the next time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put Shinko 777HD's on my 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT and they grip well and ride well, not disappointed at all as well as a great price.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The shop I talked to gave prices of $45 and $65 for tire install plus $50 tubes with $7 disposal.

That labor rate sounds about right. The shop I part-time at has a labor rate of $75/hr.

The tube prices sound a bit high to me. Last time I bought tubes, I found them around $15-18 each online. Don't forget wheel bands while you're at it. While usually not a necessity, it's a good idea to swap them out, and they're usually cheap, $5-8 each I think.

As for tire disposal, shops vary. The shop I work at is $2 per tire. You can always opt to take your old tires and do whatever with them yourself. Locally, once a month, the county will send a truck around and pick up a max of 8 tires for free if you have them out next to the road. Your area might have something similar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. Does anyone have links to the tubes and the liners for online? I feel like I trust the shop's expertise, but have not determined their labor for the job. Maybe it is $65 an hour and they are not charging a full hour for the front wheel.

I am considering the Shinko tires and will look into Michelin. Which line of Shinko is best? My wife has Michelins on her '08 Vulcan 500.

I have been a bit busy and have not had time to shop online for comparisons to bring to the shop to see if they would do anything with their pricing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts