Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I have probably read all the post in this "corner" (Vulcan 900) of the forum since I bought my Vulcan. I don't post much as I don't have much advice or experience to offer yet since I don't even have possession of my bike.
Just like many posts that I have read, I am a middle aged person that after many moons of not riding decided to purchase bikes for me and my better half to spend time on the road. Like any smart person <evil grin> we first purchased my wife's bike which is a '09 Vulcan 500 LTD (she has never driven a bike before). The bike is in brand new condition with 2k kms on it. Then of course, I had to purchase my bike which after a lot of research I chose it to be the Vulcan 900 Classic LT. last December, I found a brand new '09 at a local dealer at what I though to be a great price and went for it.
Well, the dealer called me yesterday and asked me if I would like to have it delivered to my door tomorrow. Even though the weather here is not good enough for riding yet, I said yes! I figured that having all the parts listed in my signature sitting in my spare room, it would take some time to install them and by that time it would be close to riding season.

I am so excited at this point that I feel like a kid again waiting to open my presents the next day.

Thanks to all that post on this board because I have learned so much by reading the posts.

I enjoyed so much reading posts and looking at pictures at what everyone has done to their bike to make it their own, that I figured that my first contribution to the board would be me reciprocating the “favor” by posting pictures and experiences of installing the “bling”.

Thanks again!

X

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
x-Rider... I understand the feeling. Started riding at 57, and just having a ball. Got out today for a 100 mile ride into St. Louie as the weather has finally abated and the ice is gone. As I'm riding down the road, I just had the biggest smile from ear-to-ear on my face. Doesn't get much better that this, in my book. Enjoy and be safe. You might consider a MC safety course to get you back up to speed. It's a good way to get back into the swing of things, and they have a lot of good tips that will help you out during the relearn stage....Keep the shinny side up....Walt E.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome aboard. I hope you both enjoy your bikes I would recmmend your wife, at least, take a riders course. I can't wait to see the pictures. Enjoy the experience of making them your own. Good luck, ride safe

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congratulations on choosing a great bike. I went back to riding 3 years ago after a 25 year absence and love every minute on the bike. The riders course is a good idea and check out Ride Like a Pro series of videos, there are great techniques taught on them.
I'm waiting patiently for winter to end and riding season to start.
Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I guess I failed to mention that we are both booked for a motorcycle safety course on the May 14th weekend. I also ordered and have the ride like a pro DVD. Both suggestions came from the multiple posts that I have read.

As promised here are some pictures of the bike when it was delivered around 2 pm today. Also, I had to make room in the spare room and installed some of the items I was storing there :)

When the bike fist arrived:

Pictures of installing "bling":

Continued in next post...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adding some chrome:

I will add more pictures as I keep building up the bike. Feel free to ask any questions on any of the parts I added already. So far the radiator cover was the hardest to install. I had to ask my neighbour to give me a hand (at a cost of 3 beers) to align the cover. Keeping the bolts in place while aligning the cover was a bit of a pain. Once it was on, it looked awesome!

X

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very, very cool. Welcome back to the brotherhood (that includes many sisters). I love the before/after aspect of your picture posts. I noticed the G.P.S. mount. I always like to get a bit lost and only turn on my G.P.S. when I need it to point me HOME.:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the rest today. Temperature hit +10C! What a great day to spend in the garage and do some work... Below are some pictures from what I installed:

Continued in next post…. and yes... I double resized the last 4 pics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So! Other than the foot engine guard pegs, everything I had stored for the past coulpe of months has been installed. Here are some pics of what I would like to call my "own':

A couple of words of caution:

1. Be extra careful not to spill any blue ANYWHERE when you install the handlebar grips.
2. You need more tools than what is supplied with the parts.
3. PATIANCE when installing… I found that a 24 was just about right for what I did over the past 2 days :)

I hope this thread has given some ideas to some just like I had by reading many post over the past few months.

Ride Safe!

X

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey X-Rider, you and I have the same bike... year, model and color. I sure love mine and can't wait to get it out of winter storage once all this snow melts. You're going to have a lot of fun on it, I predict. Ride safe!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Great looking ride. Black and blue (limited to the bike) is one of my favorite color combos, just behind the red/titanium I have on mine.

You're gonna love the LT. I sure do enjoy mine. Buddy Ron and I are in the planning stage of our next road trip.

I gotta say though, when it gets to +10C (50F), I'll be out riding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to see if I could find a black/red, but when I saw the black/blue I fell in love with it. Mind you, color is only a personal preference... I was tempted to go for a short ride yesterday but being a new rider and all and with all the salt and sand still on the roads I opted not to.
Today’s weather is a different story -10C and winds were howling. I’m glad there were a couple of days break in the winter which I took full advantage of to work on the bike.

X

1 - 14 of 14 Posts