Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Northern Illinois it was unusually warm today, in the 70's! I was able to easily knock out a nice 60 mile ride, and this was even after the sun had set. That puts me just shy of 8k for the year. My first ride around the block or so was back in March. For those that can't ride through the winter, here's looking forward to next year! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
don't forget to drain the gas out of the carb bowl, and put 4 ounces of seafoam into the gas tank and fill the tank up full to expell all the air

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good on ya!

We've been in the low to mid 30s in the AM, highs in the 50s/low 60s. I've put 3,600 and some miles on my new Vaquero, which I got in August :D

When you combine the miles of the Vaq and my 05 800, I've done around 5,500 this year :D

Doesn't hurt that my job got transferred from 10 miles away from home to 30.

Just got a pair of heated gloves for cold weather riding :D

-John

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
the last few days I've been watching police chase videos on youtube and I think my head is all messed up now, cause I almost posted comments on one video to suggest that the police install a few missiles on their helicopters and just take the chased vehicle out and be done with that nonsense, on one vid they had 2 k-nine units involved and the dogs almost got killed in the mayhem, why don't the police just all carry shot guns and blast away at the fleeing vehicle and be done with it. see, I told you my head is all messed up watching that crap, now I think I'm going to watch some more of them and yell, 'shoot the idiot'

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
the last few days I've been watching police chase videos on youtube and I think my head is all messed up now, cause I almost posted comments on one video to suggest that the police install a few missiles on their helicopters and just take the chased vehicle out and be done with that nonsense, on one vid they had 2 k-nine units involved and the dogs almost got killed in the mayhem, why don't the police just all carry shot guns and blast away at the fleeing vehicle and be done with it. see, I told you my head is all messed up watching that crap, now I think I'm going to watch some more of them and yell, 'shoot the idiot'
So begins the cabin fever.:grin2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the Nomad tucked away a little over a week ago, and the Spyder tucked away a few days ago. Snowed on Friday and highs are now in the low 30's. Come on April!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got out for a group ride on Friday when the temp was close to 20C (Central Ontario, Canada). We had 13 riders, a few on Vulcans and assorted others. Mine is the Grey/Red 900 Classic on the left. I put on 260kms for the day, breaking 6,100kms for my season which didn't start until August 26th when I got the bike! Putting her in hibernation now. -4C and 70km/h winds today and tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Snown like Hell here,blustery cold wtf,bike is not put up tho,have a bathroom fix to start monday,rotted ext wall wtf,insurance denied my claim,,,Yippie,,Gonna have a hole in my house and ohhh did I say snown like hell,6-18in expected,great start to the week,,Ride side all u southerners

·
Registered
449 Posts
The wife and I got out yesterday for a good 60 mile ride for lunch.

I've got a motorcycle shell that I'm hoping the Vaquero will fit in (bought it for my 05 VN800B, which will probably be under a cover this winter), and with a new driveway being poured this week, the bikes will all be up front - no more battling muddy side yards!

With that said, I won't be putting the bikes up permanently, only running battery tenders for multi-week storage.

-John

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got a ride in Saturday(11/19).Was suppose to go with another guy but he had to much to do so went by myself.Was about 60 here in upstate ny and got in a nice 90 mile ride.Both the R-6 and the 1500 will go into the main garage for the winter,unless we get a nice day and snow goes.I don't usually do any thing to them,I start both of them every two weeks and get them up to temp.Bout the extent of putting them up for the winter

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yep, I never mothball my bikes for winter here in Texas. I might go a few weeks of bitter weather without riding, but when the sun comes out I bundle up and roll, at least around town. Meanwhile my Noco Genius .75 amp charger / tenders keep everything charged 100% during the frozen lonely days and nights in the garage.

That's one advantage of Texas. It gets cold and stays cold in winter, but snow and ice events seldom last more than a few days before the sun burns em off, leaving only a bit of road sand to contend with. At any temp over 40 I'm good to go. It is bracing and enjoyable with some layering of clothes. Motorcycle engines love that cold air on the fins.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
In winter I ride in between our normally frequent rainstorms but rarely miss being able to ride each week. 44F here this AM, had a ride before the next rain which has now arrived. Winter riding advantages - many fewer tourists and other traffic to contend with, most road works have been completed, almost zero bugs. Main disadvantages - road splash from wood chip and log hauling rigs, rare snow and ice (don't ride in either of those).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oregon is one beautiful state for riding.

A band I toured with in the '80s stayed a week on a farm outside of Eugene. The host had a Sportster in the barn that didn't get ridden much. He tossed me the keys and said have at it. I spent a week riding through a green heaven. There's nothing like it here in NE Texas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Colorado has been a strange one this year. Last week I got to ride to work with the high in the 70's, Tuesday it snowed..........go figure. I usually don't winterize my bike either here in Colorado, the weather changes so much you never know when you will get a 50-60 sunny day to go out and ride a bit. Thanksgiving weekend we will be in the 50-60's again so I will take advantage and get some miles on my newly acquired Vulcan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts