Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what is shaping up to be a never ending quest to deal with the notorious Vulcan engine heat issue, I was ready to apply sheet of stick-on heat shield under my saddle to combat the obvious. I know the drag-bike and racing guys use it to insulate their fuel tanks – am thinking it could go a long way towards cooling the seat. I’m having second thoughts, however, as the battery and electrics claim that area as their own and I’m not sure what would happen under there if the seat pan had a sheet of Lava Shield or similar applied. Any insights appreciated – anybody do it yet??? Thanks ahead of time,.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wrapping the pipes is the best thing you can do for starters. It doesn't cast much and almost anyone can do it.
As far as shielding under the seat, the battery is sealed of course and wouldn't cause any problem.

What bike model are you ridding?

·
Registered
364 Posts
In what is shaping up to be a never ending quest to deal with the notorious Vulcan engine heat issue, I was ready to apply sheet of stick-on heat shield under my saddle to combat the obvious. I know the drag-bike and racing guys use it to insulate their fuel tanks – am thinking it could go a long way towards cooling the seat. I’m having second thoughts, however, as the battery and electrics claim that area as their own and I’m not sure what would happen under there if the seat pan had a sheet of Lava Shield or similar applied. Any insights appreciated – anybody do it yet??? Thanks ahead of time,.
I did just that to the bottom of my Mustang seat on my 1700 Classic. It may have helped a bit, but then I never took an actual temperature reading. It certainly cannot hurt.

The Mustang has a flat, hard plastic pan which seemed to transfer heat more directly to my nether regions. It is very easy to attach self-adhesive reflective heat shielding to this surface.

I never seemed to notice the heat as much with the stock seat pan which is moulded with grooves and ridges which may help to channel away some of the heat, or at least, not conduct it as much.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would apply something to the area between the seat and the rear cylinder to keep the heat from entering that area. Put that insulation between the frame rails and then some black metal to deflect the air flow maybe.

My Voyager mostly gets ridden from the end of September to the beginning of May. Then only occasionally in the summer when the wife wants a ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts