Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I am a new 2008 Vulcan 2000 owner as of this March. "We" are still learning to love each other. Since I bought her, I have been actively reading many posts on this site and have come to know that most of the quirks I have noticed with my v2k are very common. The high speed chirps, low speed groan from belt tension and alignment. Coolant leaks, speedometer accuracy all repaired under warranty. I do really like the bike yet am struggling with one annoying issue. Just recently I took her back to the dealer again for rough idle and a miss at low to moderate speeds. It has been like this since new and now I have 3000 miles on her. This motor has soooo much torque that when it has a miss or hiccup it literally throws the bike forward, unloads the transmission gears so the gear lash slops back and forth and it has this herky jerky feel from 20 to 35 MPH. It really reminds me of a 1949 international grain truck. The dealer replaced a gear selector sensor and the EFI computer. Bike is better but still has a rough idle at different times.

With fuel injection and belt drive I expected my v2k to always be a smooth cruise which it is at anything over 65 mph. Around town though my little bike blows it away. My "little" bike is a 1998 Honda shadow 1100. You know old tech carburation and shaft drive. I am really disappointed with the driveability of my v2k around town and in traffic. Not with its girth but with the way it runs. Is this really the best that Kawasaki can do with fuel injection compared to my old Honda? Am I being to critical of this bike due to its size? Is there still something wrong and I can expect much better when fixed?

Help me complete my love story. What am I missing here?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got a 2006 vn2009 LT. Idle is always fine and no misses. A lot better then my previous carbureted Suzuki VL 800. Take it back to the dealer for the fix. Riding at low speeds is kinda hard:)) I just stay in the first gear all the time.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you need a good doctor who knows what he/she is doing

Hi everyone.

I This motor has soooo much torque that when it has a miss or hiccup it literally throws the bike forward, unloads the transmission gears so the gear lash slops back and forth and it has this herky jerky feel from 20 to 35 MPH. With fuel injection and belt drive I expected my v2k to always be a smooth cruise at ALL speeds. I am really disappointed with the driveability of my v2k around town and in traffic. Not with its girth but with the way it runs. Is there still something wrong and I can expect much better when fixed? What am I missing here?
coma'toaster, what you are missing is a COMPETENT dealer. You have some major issue with your ECU-FI system and/or peripeheral sensors feeding it. You should not be experiencing ANY of these problems. When you read here our little bitches about this noise or that noise, believe me they are very little nuances that we are picking on because we've got nothing better to do.. ie, we expect everything to be perfect 100% time. You will read from others who will chime in how great these bikes perform. I own/ride 3 (am down from 5) skoots daily. This bike performs as well/better than any all of them. Powerful and SMOOTH all the time, ALL speeds. I would highly suggest you find another dealer who knows WTF he is doing. my limited experience w/dealers is most don't. can't or won't. I would go to the trouble to find somebody competent even if they are not Kaw dealer. Pay them to fix it. Trying to get your Kaw dealer to do it in warranty will be more time, money and frustrating. certainly not endearing. Is the honeymoon over? Mine is 2yrs and 24k miles, still going strong. out, ponch

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yep, you have issues with this bike.

you should be able to walk all over a shadow an any circumstance.
Something is up with your bike.

Ponch is correct, what we talk about are little nuances, not real problems.

Demand your dealer fix it or as Ponch said, take it to another.

Sumpem's fishy.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
yep... I will add my voice that the V2K is a smooth ride / shifting machine at ALL speeds.... you have something very unusual going on and need to get it fixed under warranty.

good luck !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Hey thanks for you help and support. Today it was 90 and humid. The Vulcan ran better. I was almost convinced it was all better then the wife and I went for a ride on the shadow. The Vulcan still has issues. I'll call another dealer tomorrow!

On a side note. Ponch How did the euro gears work out? Mileage better?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wide gear spacing for lots of troll work. I call it "moseying along"

On a side note. Ponch How did the euro gears work out? Mileage better?
spook'y, much more muey better. took a little while to get used the change in shift patterns. all the gears are taller and you can run em much further out w/o the motor singing. Top end, I have no desire to find out. I am very comfortable running 60-80 tops. The motor isn't even working much, 5th is strictly a hiway gear just coming in the money at 80ish, not that it wont run along at 60 just that 4th is so much more in the money and third is now such a full featured gear with such a broad span low-med-high, its kinda all purpose duty. 2nd will troll right along fine right up to 50. 1st gear loses a little off the line lurch.. just a little almost not noticeable anymore.. 'cause it still can lurch you plenty!
Mileage seems to be the same, 'cept now the speedo/odo are 4% more corrected, so that might mean 4% improvement. The yellow fuel light comes on at 236 same as b4. At 250 she will top off 5.5gal = 45mpg. slightly down from new/stock, I was getting right at 50mpg consistantly. Have pushed her as far as 296 w/o running out. BTW, this thing holds 6.2gal bone dry. how do I know that? go figure. out, poncherino

·
Registered
30 Posts
Poncho. Does riding around 20-35 mpr feel better with the euros ? With stock gears she wants to shift to the second around 20 but then the second is lagging at the low speed.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
EuroGears 10% change. All gears yeild 10% wider span

Poncho. Does riding around 20-35 mpr feel better with the euros ? With stock gears she wants to shift to the second around 20 but then the second is lagging at the low speed.
goobers, let see 20-35, huh? well coming off the line you'v maybe just shifted out of first. at 20, 2nd is trolling. at 40 it is solidly in the money.. not quite boiling. Do you know these terms? It has to do with the torque curve. This motor is most happy at 2800rpms. anywhere from 2-3k is the sweet zone, actually 2.8 is the sweet spot. above 3k is boil work. more power on tap but you pay for it w/the shakes.. vibrations start to show themselves. At 4k the torque starts dropping off even tho hp is still climbing. This is hooligan territory. Its fun but your motor is doing more work than it should and the weakpoints will eventually show themselves w/a premature death. Keeping these big Long Stroke motors down in rpms, they will go 100's k miles. Its what their inherent design is built for. They make bikes specific for hooliganism which tend to be lightweight multi cylinders. Still they blow them up.
Back to gears. Yes 2nd gear will run those speeds just peachy fine. Only because of the very deep broad power band that this motor emits, 3rd gear is the champion. It will troll along peaceably as low as 30, rumble thru 40, snarl at 50 and doesn't scream till 60. by then 4th should have been selected and you still have an ace in the hole.
I think what people are asking, "is it worth the change out" a: YES! kaw should have not built these n.am bikes w/o them. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
what makes a love story a real story... time spent

I do really like the bike yet am struggling with one annoying issue. Am I being to critical of this bike due to its size? Help me complete my love story. What am I missing here? Thanks
trek'r, a love affair w/this big beasty bear bike is a long term commitment. when I first got the 'redbear'n I was not overly enthuised with its handling. This is one humongous mochien, makes my 'lectraglide seem smallish, from a handling perspective. But then I bought this here pup as a project bike to do chop work and am willing to put up with its anomalies as is/until w/mods I can dial the ride in more to my liking. Kinda like working in a new pair of shoes. Now the motor is muchly impressive. A big peice of jewelry work with output even the harley cant match. The stock gear box is lacking in that its only a 5speed and kaw purposefully reduced it for N.Am blockheads who like to be able to smoke thier tires on launch to fill the whole in thier diminished self esteem. other than that its a great bike. The more time I spend with it the more I have grown to like its unique character. As with most hardware that comes from Japan, it is an execellent piece of engineering. Wrenching is what I do for... therapy. This is by far one of the finest well thought out set of subassemblies that compromise a whole unified design. I have and wrench on many brands. Roadstars are in the same catagorie. the Italian Goose is well built, I wish they used standard size fittings, everything is different, not two bolts on the whole bike are the same size. Tho my harley(s) are top notch performers and have given outstanding ride service, they are a nightmare to work on. There is not a single item on this bike that has any forthought into its design for serviceability. everything, yes everything requires you to undue a dozen other things to have access. Its just a conglomeration of parts that have been acquired and attached over the years, where this bolts to that to this to another. layers, I think the call that layers and they all are under something else, under something else, infinum.
ok, But this Beast is a Beau...teaful peice of art and engineering and has character that is your job to bring it out of her. The more time you spend riding, wrenching, serviceing, cleaning, taking her out for midnight strolls under the stars and a full moon, the more your love affair will grow. Treat her well, she will give you lots of good memories.. and stories to tell the kiddo's(they love stories)it helps them dream. out, ponch

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
well done Ponch!

trek'r, a love affair w/this big beasty bear bike is a long term commitment. when I first got the 'redbear'n I was not overly enthuised with its handling. This is one humongous mochien, makes my 'lectraglide seem smallish, from a handling perspective. But then I bought this here pup as a project bike to do chop work and am willing to put up with its anomalies as is/until w/mods I can dial the ride in more to my liking. Kinda like working in a new pair of shoes. Now the motor is muchly impressive. A big peice of jewelry work with output even the harley cant match. The stock gear box is lacking in that its only a 5speed and kaw purposefully reduced it for N.Am blockheads who like to be able to smoke thier tires on launch to fill the whole in thier diminished self esteem. other than that its a great bike. The more time I spend with it the more I have grown to like its unique character. As with most hardware that comes from Japan, it is an execellent piece of engineering. Wrenching is what I do for... therapy. This is by far one of the finest well thought out set of subassemblies that compromise a whole unified design. I have and wrench on many brands. Roadstars are in the same catagorie. the Italian Goose is well built, I wish they used standard size fittings, everything is different, not two bolts on the whole bike are the same size. Tho my harley(s) are top notch performers and have given outstanding ride service, they are a nightmare to work on. There is not a single item on this bike that has any forthought into its design for serviceability. everything, yes everything requires you to undue a dozen other things to have access. Its just a conglomeration of parts that have been acquired and attached over the years, where this bolts to that to this to another. layers, I think the call that layers and they all are under something else, under something else, infinum.
ok, But this Beast is a Beau...teaful peice of art and engineering and has character that is your job to bring it out of her. The more time you spend riding, wrenching, serviceing, cleaning, taking her out for midnight strolls under the stars and a full moon, the more your love affair will grow. Treat her well, she will give you lots of good memories.. and stories to tell the kiddo's(they love stories)it helps them dream. out, ponch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts