Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im about to get a 1700 nomad and wondering what tools you have in your onboard toolkit (Im not talking about the factory one they are almost useless). I do a fair bit of long distance riding and would prefer to avoid the trial and error thing with a toolkit for this bike wondering about any specific strange tools or sizes I should consider before I end up on the side of the road broken down wishing I had some tool thats sitting at home in my shed.
I would have thought there would be a few threads on this topic but didnt find any but I guess thats probably my poor searching skills.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
No hard and fast rules here, at least for me.
I live in the Philippines, ex pat from the USA and own 3 bikes, 2 here and one stateside.
I'm doing this from memory, since I am getting old maybe I left things out, maybe not. :nerd:

Tools
Combination wrenches, not the big monster ones, but a smaller set.
3/8 socket wrench set
Small crescent wrench
Pliers
Half size slip joint wrench (not big, not small, just medium)
Wire cutters
Electric tape
Small roll of duct tape, all weather
Needle nose pliers
Small bits of fine and medium sand paper (for wire connectors)
Screw driver
Small computer type screwdriver set
Larger flat head screwdriver usually used for prying
Small can of WD40
Really cheap multi-meter or test lamp.
Sharp knife

I think that should do it and don't throw away the one that came with the bike, those may turn out to be very useful in a pinch.

Trapster

·
Registered
204 Posts
Once you get familiar with your new bike, you'll know what YOU could fix/repair, improvise, if "it" happened on the road. Some things you could do, others couldn't. Once you have THAT list, figure out what tools, parts, materials are needed and that's YOUR toolkit.

There are guys on here that could rebuild their bike on the shoulder with the OEM kit (not even using all those tools!), while I only need a way to call roadside assistance to max out my capability!

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
@Trapster and @TrapperAH1G made great suggestions!

@Trapster makes a fine suggestion for tools. I would only add that maybe pack along a pair of vice grips, fuses and some tie wraps.

However, @TrapperAH1G has a great point. What you need heavily depends on what you are able to do when sitting on the edge of the road. No sense in lugging around tools you'll never need.

I have a very well equipped shop. So having the tools and equipment I need isn't a problem. As a rule I try to complete most of my work on the bike with the tool kit I carry on the bike. If I can't do the work sitting in the shop with those tools I am not going to be able to do it sitting on the edge either! This methodology has led to my changing out some of the tools I previously thought would suffice but actually did not when it came time to do the work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also look at possible scenarios that could leave you stranded. Flat tire, dead battery/bad electrical connection/short, dropped bike, low oil, blown fuse/bulbs, loose nuts and bolts, lost keys, bad/fouled/spit spark plug, slow tire leak, etc. Then plan accordingly. I would add a lithium jump starter, air compressor, and an extra set of keys to the other items mentioned, especially if traveling far from home. For tubeless tires I would also add a good tire plug kit. Carb cleaner for carbed bikes. Guess all depends on available storage too. Most important tool is a charged cellphone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts