Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing a tune up on my 04 with only 5,000 miles and I was using the wrong tool for the job and I small nut fall into my gear box. I feel so stupid but was able to get it out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Happens. Years back I was reassembling the engine on my Suzuki GS1000. Reinstalling the head nuts onto the studs. Said to myself, "careful, don't drop a nut down the cam chain galley (down to the crankcase)." Sure as hell, slip, Whoop, clink, down it goes. Fortunately it was wedged against the block and the cam chain. Suddenly a straightened out hanger with a hook formed on the end became THE most important tool in my shop. Got the nut, got the engine back together. Live and learn, next time I'll fill the cam chain galley with clean shop rags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya just low miles on it and could have cost my the bike. I bought for 900 dollars and a new gas pump and filter. Plus it's my first bike.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
This is one of those lessons you generally only have to learn once. From then on using rags or tape to block the drop area is never forgotten!

My first field command in the Navy was Operation Deep Freeze. I was an Electronics Tech on UH-1N Twin Hueys in Antarctica. In the center of the Helo is an area where the transmission is at. It's like this large hole with a very large transmission with barely enough space surrounding it to squeeze a body up into from below where the cargo hook hangs. Lots of wiring, fluid lines and components make it a tight place to work in.

Working on top of the tranny where the swashplate and rotor head are is not the place to drop ANYTHING! Whatever is dropped goes down the hole. Since this is an aircraft, it is down (cannot fly) until whatever dropped is found.

Reminder; this is in Antarctica. When working out on the flight line we would wear extreme weather clothing. However, it isn't possible to wear a parka and squeeze up into the Hell Hole. Justifiably nicknamed the "Hell Hole" once you have to squeeze into it without a parka in sub-zero freezing temperatures!

Normally we worked in fifteen minute shifts looking for whatever it was that was dropped. It wasn't a good day if you were the one that dropped something in the Hell Hole.

It was a lesson I have NEVER forgotten! I go to extremes to make sure I don't drop anything since then!

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is one of those lessons you generally only have to learn once. From then on using rags or tape to block the drop area is never forgotten!

My first field command in the Navy was Operation Deep Freeze. I was an Electronics Tech on UH-1N Twin Hueys in Antarctica. In the center of the Helo is an area where the transmission is at. It's like this large hole with a very large transmission with barely enough space surrounding it to squeeze a body up into from below where the cargo hook hangs. Lots of wiring, fluid lines and components make it a tight place to work in.

Working on top of the tranny where the swashplate and rotor head are is not the place to drop ANYTHING! Whatever is dropped goes down the hole. Since this is an aircraft, it is down (cannot fly) until whatever dropped is found.

Reminder; this is in Antarctica. When working out on the flight line we would wear extreme weather clothing. However, it isn't possible to wear a parka and squeeze up into the Hell Hole. Justifiably nicknamed the "Hell Hole" once you have to squeeze into it without a parka in sub-zero freezing temperatures!

Normally we worked in fifteen minute shifts looking for whatever it was that was dropped. It wasn't a good day if you were the one that dropped something in the Hell Hole.

It was a lesson I have NEVER forgotten! I go to extremes to make sure I don't drop anything since then!
You should try it in 110 degree weather like I did in the field while some days taking random fire in Viet Nam soaked in fluids from changing the hydraulic lines. You can't move around. No place to go. I weighed 145 lbs. and it was a squeeze for me. It is a Hell Hole, in any weather, but still I didn't have to feel my fingers were about to fall off from frostbite like yours may have..

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
@Bildak,

I'll take freezing over being shot at any day my friend!

I figured there was a good chance one of the members had been in the Hell Hole. Hell Hole survivors...that's what we are!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was just at High Ground Military Tribute near Neilsville WI, on my way home on my new to me VN1600 Classic from Minneapolis. Salute to all you guys that did service for us. High Ground is a beautiful somber respectful worthwhile visit. Its especially beautiful in the fall colors of early October.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts