Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cold weather, I mean. We make a few simple remarks about riding year around, northern people can't handle the cold, etc. etc. And you guys blow us down with your artic cold blast. Funny. You can stop now.
Whew, 15*f this morning in NE Texas. Not sure what the wind chill is. High of 60 by Friday, so ha! I'm going for a ride this weekend, just because I can. Sorry. :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've missed more riding days this year than the previous two combined. :(

Southern biker problems:

My bike is dirty; but when it warms up enough to wash it; I can't because I need to ride.

I need to change my rear tire. But, my garage isn't heated; so when it's warm enough to spend a few hours turning a wrench; I need to ride.

The guys from Clearview wanted a pic of my bike with my new windsheild on it but it's too dirty to take a pic because it's too cold to wash.

My fuel bill for commuting to work is more than twice what is usually is because I can't ride.

I'm not getting my wind therapy; but I'm not getting most of the honey-dos finished either. Because it's too damned cold!

Oh well, I got a few hours in the saddle on Saturday and will probably be able to ride this Saturday too.

Ride safe
Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It is always such a coin toss on winter weather here. There are winters i spent quite a bit of time on 2 wheels and it staying in the 40-50 F, then we have winters like this year that we have had some snow and highs of the 30's and lows of teens (not talking about his week). This morning it was -10F when I came to work, not the first time I have seen it like this here but it don't happen often.

·
Registered
226 Posts
SWVA, I'm with you. Here in the middle of the country we normally don't get winters like this. Was -9 yesterday on my way to work and was positive (not much) this morning. We normally don't get this long stretch of cold weather. I really didn't expect to have mine put up since mid November, I am getting itchy to ride but looks like March will be the soonest it will come out now. Streets have to be clean enough (salt) to bring her out.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
SWVA, I'm with you. Here in the middle of the country we normally don't get winters like this. Was -9 yesterday on my way to work and was positive (not much) this morning. We normally don't get this long stretch of cold weather. I really didn't expect to have mine put up since mid November, I am getting itchy to ride but looks like March will be the soonest it will come out now. Streets have to be clean enough (salt) to bring her out.
That is about where I am. The main roads were starting to clean off pretty good after the last snow and now we get this. I keep telling myself, "it's already January, only a little bit longer."

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Put the cover on mine sunday evening, this is only te 2nd time in 3-4 years. Last time, we had snow on Christmas here. Left work lastnight and it was 7 degrees. Bright side is no snow and calling for 60 saturday, but wouldnt you know it, 70% chance of rain. Will probably be riding into work tomorrow. At least when it does get cold here, it only last a few days.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I live in the wrong place! Minus 33 last night but my bike is covered and protected on the garage. Up to minus 2 this wknd woohoo!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A lot of folks don't realize that many parts of Alaska are extremely temperate! There isn't much temperature fluctuation. It's generally fairly cold, but it doesn't usually dip down to these extreme lows.

Missouri hasn't seen these temps in 30 years. Was -11 this morning. Lots of cars not starting.

But I do want to report one thing. Unfortunately, my bike lives outside. I live in an apartment. I just HAD to know, so I took the cover off. As I rode just a few days ago on the 1st, I hadn't gotten around to pulling the battery out and sticking it on a tender. But at -11 degrees F, that fuel injected VN900 fired right up and idled like it was summer. I'd have proof, but my phone wasn't recording like I thought it was....

Way. Too. Cold. Can't even go outside without gloves or a hat on or you'll be in pain! I've never experience so much cold that it causes physical pain in just a short amount of exposure. It felt colder outside bundled up and standing than it ever has riding my bike at near-freezing temps at 60mph!

At this point even if it DOES warm up, we'll need a good rain before I can ride. If we don't get snow, I can generally ride all year round. A TYPICAL winter for us is highs around 40 or 45. Which is cold, but not too cold for a ride in the afternoon. And it also means the occasional 60 degree day. So I pretty much ride year round. But this year, doesn't look to be the case. There's so much salt, grit, and crud on the road it'll take days of heavy rain to wash it all off. That stuff is dangerous around a corner on the bike (not to mention corrosive).

I know everyone talks about cars not being made like they used to, but with all this salt, I for one am happy my car has plastic wheel wells and body panels. They don't rust! (One of the reasons I actually PREFER plastic chrome. If you pick it up, you can tell it's fake. But just looking at it, you generally can't. But it always looks clean, it doesn't pit, and it doesn't rust.)

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love that Rick!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Way back in the day I used to park my Honda CB 750 next to the kitchen table in the apartment I lived in.

It was 9 here this morning. This afternoon it made it to 39, first time we've broken low twenties since Sunday. Water pipes are busting every where. We get cold here but usually not this cold for two or more days in a row.

The low tonight is 27 so I will be on two on the way to work in the morning unless I take to much time fixing breakfast and lunch, or checking mail, or checking in here, or ...

·
Registered
307 Posts
After several days of low 20s in south Louisiana, today is supposed to be sunny and 62 deg. Haven't ridden my bike lately. Last night my brother in law called and asked me to ride his Harley a bit today since he's been working too much to ride it. Think I'll ride mine over to his house and take his for a spin.:eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
when I lived in Chicago the wife wouldn't let me bring the bikes in... I tried. That's half the reason I moved to AZ I hate cold and love to ride

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It was 28 when I left the house this morning, a little cool but worth it. Got to hit 4 1/2 miles of my favorite twisty on the way home.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts