Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you know that I've been losing weight since about mid August of last year. This morning I stepped on the scale and have officially lost one hundred pounds since August.

Pretty excited about that!

Went from a 44" waste to a 36" with a belt (34 is too small, 36 is too big), 2XL and 3XL t-shirts to a large. Biggest problem though is that my riding gear flaps in the wind. So I'll probably post some bigger jackets, vests, pants, etc. on the classifieds here soon! :p One vest I used to have to wear extenders with now I can completely overlap it and if I do wear it, it flies up in my face and tries to fly off my body.

So yeah, just a little bragging from me!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Brag it up. It takes a lot of work. Oh and don't feel bad about the gear, I got some extra big boy jackets and stuff laying around. I did not loose as much as you (65 lb) but I have been able to keep it off for the last 2 years with only a 5-10 fluctuation from my lowest weight (235). Feels good, don't it?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brag it up. It takes a lot of work. Oh and don't feel bad about the gear, I got some extra big boy jackets and stuff laying around. I did not loose as much as you (65 lb) but I have been able to keep it off for the last 2 years with only a 5-10 fluctuation from my lowest weight (235). Feels good, don't it?
Does feel pretty good! I've still got some more to go. I'm at 231 right now and would like to get down to 175. We shall see.

Always been a big guy. As a kid I'd struggle to get through 10 pushups in gym class (usually couldn't, and they were bad pushups). When we ran the mile it took me the entire period to complete the mile! Signed up for a 5k in june and I do 60 push-ups a day.

Last time I wore 36" jeans was 6th grade.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congratulations!! I've dropped about 350 in the last two years with the help of surgery and a serious lifestyle change. I know you feel SOOOO much better! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Does feel pretty good! I've still got some more to go. I'm at 231 right now and would like to get down to 175. We shall see.

Always been a big guy. As a kid I'd struggle to get through 10 pushups in gym class (usually couldn't, and they were bad pushups). When we ran the mile it took me the entire period to complete the mile! Signed up for a 5k in june and I do 60 push-ups a day.

Last time I wore 36" jeans was 6th grade.
Sounds a lot like me. Or at least until I hit high school, then I finally started to get stronger and taller. But I have always went up and down. Went from 230's starting HS to 270s by senior year. Then leaving college I was 220, Worked outside (manual labor stuff) and kept it off, then started working in the office and got up to 300+. This time I have set my head on it and gonna try to keep it down. So far this is the longest I have kept it off.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should mention, my bike is a lot more comfortable now too! LOL! Less weight on the rear end I guess. I've also gained about 2mpg. Losing weight is one of the best mods I've done with that bike!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It's all true, I had my 1100 VStar when I lost mine. I almost thought twice about getting rid of it. Not that I don't love my V2K, but parting with a bike that was paid for, to one that had a payment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So, what did you do to lose the weight? How do you deal with the hunger? How do you keep it off?

Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congratulations on your loss. You should shout it out to the whole world!

I'm another that's been on the weight loss journey since last August. I'm down 45 pounds. I was a whooping 262. Now I'm 217. And it feels so much better.

I have a closet and a bureau full of 2x shirts. I've already gotten rid of a bunch of clothes that are way too big.

My leather jacket is so big on me now that I look silly wearing it.

To all you guys, keep up the good work!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, what did you do to lose the weight? How do you deal with the hunger? How do you keep it off?

Thanks
Hunger only lasted for a week or two. Maybe three weeks.

At the end of the day it's like this. Our bodies use a certain amount of energy (expressed in calories) every day. You can actually calculate this number (look around online) based on age, weight, and height. The more you weigh, the more calories your body uses. That's why people have a hard time with dieting. They go from eating 3500 calories a day to 1200 because some diet book told them that was the magic number. In reality, for them, 1200 might be a dangerously low number. When they could actually lose 2-3 pounds a week eating 2600 calories a day! (Just being mindful that as they lose, they'll need to re-calculate and adjust that caloric intake number, I do it every 5lbs lost).

So once you've figured up your "metabolic rate", the amount of calories you burn in a day, subtract 500 and eat that. So if your metabolic rate is 3000 calories, eat 2500 calories a day. The result is a loss of 1-3 pounds per week.

Stay away from tons of carbs (some are fine, but eating carbs with every meal isn't), trans fats (fried foods), excess sugar, and definitely stay away from diet sodas, "fat free" stuff, and other such nonsense that uses unhealthy sweeteners. I drink water, unsweet tea, or black coffee usually. You develop a taste for these things, after a few days (all it took for me to switch from wanting sweet tea to preferring regular tea was drinking regular tea for a few days).

Write down everything you eat and lookup the calories. EVERYTHING has calories except for water, so look it up! Some fruits and veggies for example, are very high in nutrition, but high in calories too. Bananas, grapes, blackberries for example. All good for you, but you need to write them down and look up their calories because you need to make sure you don't exceed your goal.

If you get hungry, drink water. And especially in the first few weeks, eat a lot of high-density low calorie foods (lettuce, bison, turkey, lean chicken, spinach, etc.) You'd be amazed how big of a meal you can make with just a few hundred calories. Soups are really filling too. I just had some chicken noodle soup for lunch that was 150 calories (soups are usually high in sodium; but that's okay once in a while. The trick with all of this is to just not eat the unhealthy things ALL THE TIME and to find balance). Force yourself to drink a LOT of cold water. The cold water takes energy to process (your body has to warm it up, too), and also being well hydrated (most people aren't. If you aren't peeing clear every time, you aren't hydrated!) improves the efficiency of our bodies. Plus, drinking lots of water curbs hunger.

So that's what I do. Write down and look up everything I eat, I measure portions with a scale, and I take in 500 calories a day less than I need. Occasionally I'll overeat a meal, but I plan it. For example, a few weeks ago I had a burger. A GOOD burger. The kind of burger they serve at a historic bar with jalapenos, barbecue sauce, fried cheese strips, smothered in melted cheese with fries on the side. I had fruit for breakfast, and a real light lunch. Even so, still went way over on calories; but I wrote it down and was very strict for the next couple of weeks!

It's more about how many calories you take in in a WEEK than it is about how many calories you take in in a MEAL.

Also, exercise helps. I don't spend hours at the gym, but I do park in the back of the parking lot, walk fast everywhere I go, do 60 pushups and situps a day and other little things here and there to keep my body moving (since I don't work a physical job).

Eating more nutrituous food helps too. Most overweight people are malnourished! I know I was. Looking back at what I used to eat EVERY DAY, I wasn't getting the nutrients my body needs.

It's like taking care of the bike. Put in what it needs, not too much, not too little, and she'll run well for a long time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm another that's been on the weight loss journey since last August. I'm down 45 pounds. I was a whooping 262. Now I'm 217. And it feels so much better.
Sheesh. A whopping 262? Ha. I was 331 in August of last year, when I got back from vacation and decided I was going to lose weight (I actually DID wake up one morning and decide to lose weight).

231 this morning. And yes, it DOES feel a lot better!

·
Registered
492 Posts
262 and I'm only 5'7. So I was pretty round!

Its so ready to balloon up and not really notice it happening until wham, you get hit in the face!

I got started on this because my wife was in terrible shape. She was up to 330. And had lots of health problems. I found her a weight loss clinic that has helped tremendously. No drugs, or surgery. Just learning what your should eat. And what not to eat. She should be off blood pressure meds by the end of this year. Maybe even diabetes needs.

So we are both loving life!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts

Thanks
I went from 230 to 170 in about 10 months just watching what I was eating and cutting all the portions in half.......Exercise was walking just walking alot of walking maybe two miles a day sometimes more that is every day... my wife got me on it and it worked:)

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Awesome! You guys are doing great! It isn't easy, but anybody can do it. It's all in your head. All you have to do is decide to do it, but you have to keep making that decision every day. A good diet plan helps a lot. I recommend Dr Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" book. You can lose weight and eat right for the rest of your life. I'm currently in the middle of my journey. I've lost 35 lbs and aiming for another 50.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
I should mention, my bike is a lot more comfortable now too! LOL! Less weight on the rear end I guess. I've also gained about 2mpg. Losing weight is one of the best mods I've done with that bike!
I bet your bike is thrilled! I know from reading threads here in the past that you used to do a lot of two-up riding. This is not a slant on your mrs. but your 900 had to be huffin' and puffin' with the extra 100 lb 'baggage' you were carrying.

It's good to see that at your young age you've made a positive lifestyle change. Trust me when I say the older you get the tougher it is to take the weight off. I'm 52 and missing my younger invincible years haha...

Congratulations...:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gained 2 MPG

That is funny. Skinny and a sense of humor. Congratulations, that is really hard to do. Godspeed...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bet your bike is thrilled! I know from reading threads here in the past that you used to do a lot of two-up riding. This is not a slant on your mrs. but your 900 had to be huffin' and puffin' with the extra 100 lb 'baggage' you were carrying.

It's good to see that at your young age you've made a positive lifestyle change. Trust me when I say the older you get the tougher it is to take the weight off. I'm 52 and missing my younger invincible years haha...

Congratulations...:D
Still do two up occasionally. Wife sometimes doesn't feel like riding hers, and occasionally on longer trips prefers to hop on the back.

The saving grace of that though was/is that she's 5' tall and very thin. So I don't think the bike noticed. I can hardly tell she's back there usually.

But that 900 took it in stride. Even two up, loaded down with luggage for hundreds of miles!

·
Registered
487 Posts
That is pretty cool. Brag it up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts