Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the extensive posts in this forum I figured I would order a few things lol. Started with a Cobra Light Bar after i saw the pic of MrCleans bike then the triple Whammy Tail light set up then the Ghost brackets to make the saddle bags easy on and off and finally after a 2 hour ride on Sunday and my butt feeling numb with the stock seat i knew that had to go so I ordered a Saddleman Solo Seat. I now have a stack of boxes sitting in the garage and a weekend Project. The only thing left I want is the scootworks pully but I am not sure if I am skilled enough to take on that project.

:):):)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mods

Thinking about a Cobra Lightbar too, can you send picture of Mr. Cleans plus shots of yours when you get r done

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I don't have a Cobra Light bar I have Wally World lights down low BUT I highly suggest extra light on the front, especially around here where the dear lurks in the shadows. The 55 watts each of the Wally world lights with the 100 watt upgrade bulb on my bike gives me 210 Watts of shadow light to see them beady eyes looking from the bushes.

As far as the rest, I wouldn't call that crazy. Sounds like reasonable bike modifications to me. You wouldn't leave a window busted out of your car would ya? A bad seat or awkard bags are just as bad.

If you can't get that pulley, change the wheel size when the stocker gets low.

·
Registered
711 Posts
upgrades

After reading the extensive posts in this forum I figured I would order a few things lol. Started with a Cobra Light Bar after i saw the pic of MrCleans bike then the triple Whammy Tail light set up then the Ghost brackets to make the saddle bags easy on and off and finally after a 2 hour ride on Sunday and my butt feeling numb with the stock seat i knew that had to go so I ordered a Saddleman Solo Seat. I now have a stack of boxes sitting in the garage and a weekend Project. The only thing left I want is the scootworks pully but I am not sure if I am skilled enough to take on that project.

:):):)
Save your money for something better over the pulley. I just sold mine a week ago. While others will disagree with my next coments on the other hand many more have done what I did. I got the pulley and was very exited. The pulley will give you arround 5 miles over without the vibrations. Most people will get this pulley when they do lots of highway driving. Most of our highways here in texas the speed limit is 70mph (even the tollway). Usually my self and the group I ride with we're always going 75-85mph so this pulley sucks in these range. Most of the vibrations start at 65mph in our 900's but will ease arround 80 so with the pulley you can comfortably ride at 70 but anything above that the bike will rev high again until you hit like 85mph. If you add both front and rear then yes that will make a huge difference. The pulley is fairly easy to install but no matter what you do you will not get rid of the squeeking noise that's quite loud and very embarrasing to have. Anyone arround you will hear it as well. If you read reviews very few say their pulley don't squeek and many will add belt dresser but that only works temporary. The guy who bought it from me can not get rid of that squeeking noise either but he knew that was my issue and that was the reason I was selling it. I personally don't believe its worth the price for that little bit of difference and all those noises that will come along. Even after you install it you will still look for that six gear. Now to each his own so if you don't mind the noise then go for it but do both so you can be happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ejvette...how do u like the saddlemen solo?I was thinking about buying one...
will let you know when i install it...I sure hope its a big improvement in comfort over the stock seat or its going right back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Save your money for something better over the pulley. I just sold mine a week ago. While others will disagree with my next coments on the other hand many more have done what I did. I got the pulley and was very exited. The pulley will give you arround 5 miles over without the vibrations. Most people will get this pulley when they do lots of highway driving. Most of our highways here in texas the speed limit is 70mph (even the tollway). Usually my self and the group I ride with we're always going 75-85mph so this pulley sucks in these range. Most of the vibrations start at 65mph in our 900's but will ease arround 80 so with the pulley you can comfortably ride at 70 but anything above that the bike will rev high again until you hit like 85mph. If you add both front and rear then yes that will make a huge difference. The pulley is fairly easy to install but no matter what you do you will not get rid of the squeeking noise that's quite loud and very embarrasing to have. Anyone arround you will hear it as well. If you read reviews very few say their pulley don't squeek and many will add belt dresser but that only works temporary. The guy who bought it from me can not get rid of that squeeking noise either but he knew that was my issue and that was the reason I was selling it. I personally don't believe its worth the price for that little bit of difference and all those noises that will come along. Even after you install it you will still look for that six gear. Now to each his own so if you don't mind the noise then go for it but do both so you can be happy with the outcome.
Thanks for the input on the pulley you just talked me out of it lol. I was getting it in the hopes that the 70 mph range would smooth out quite a bit. If it does not accomplish that then its usless to me.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yea, I don't know how I put up with all the vibration at 80-85 and that dang squeaking, tremendously problematic.

Oh yea, I don't have any. Hmmmmmmmm.

YMMV

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in Texas and just did well over 1200 miles during the Memorial weekend going from Corpus to North Ft Worth and then back. I have had my pulley on order for well over two weeks, but has not arrived yet. I have no vibrations or squeaks, but what I hate is the high rev at 70 MPH and above. What I look forward to is the drop in RPM's. I wear ear plugs, so squeaks ain't gunna bother me. I have heard no MANY positives on this forum ranting how great the SW pulley is, and you're the first I have heard with a negative response. I look forward to finally getting mine in and I will have my own opinion soon after. I know this...I sure HATED the baffle mod I did on my pipes...but many LOVE that crappy sound it produces, so I respect your opinion's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my sw pulley doesn't squeak......had it on the bike for a year now......

·
Registered
711 Posts
Like I stated on my original post. Some may not like my comments/opinion but a little research will do the job. Most of the SW pulley owners got it, installed it and either took it off and sold it or ended up trading the bike for a bigger one anyways (difference is minimal and worthless if you cruise above70mph). If you change both front and back then it will make a good difference, with only one you'll find yourself looking for that six gear.

Like I stated on the previous post, the 900 will start to rev high arround 65mph and with the sw front pulley the bike will start to rev high arround 70mph so only 5mph difference gained. If the majority of your cruising is at or above 70mph then this is not for you. I will tell you I did like the fact that I could cruise on first in my alley with the sw but it did not make any differnece on high way speeds over 70mhp. Noisy or not is just not worth it if you cruise at high speeds.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Screw it. Deleting the first post. Just want to say it's not been my experience nor my knowledge of the majority of folks taking it off. Maybe it's different there.

Edit, Oh look, it really just disappears so you wouldn't know my argumentative rear end had posted, unless you saw it, and in that case I'm sorry.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Pulley

You can always tell a Texan....

Just not much.

(it's the only Texas joke I know and yes, it's from jealousy)

Seriously, the 3 people I know in town with the pulley on still have it. The people I know that have put it on very few have taken it back off and come on, how many people STAY at a 900 there whole biking career? Heck, I've talked to too many people that have been riding for 15 years and had 20+ bikes.
YOU and some of your friends did not like the pulley. I spend way too much time with the bike maxed out. It is true that I never really experienced too much vibration that everyone else seemed to worry about, but I am 100% satisfied with the pulley. Last fall I took it back off because I wanted to see what it was like. I had put it on after only having the bike 6 months. I regretted it from the 2nd or 3rd ride but at that time I lost my Rotator cup and couldn't do a dang thing about it. Got my arm back about a month and a half ago and it's the first thing I did.

Your Mileage May Vary but you are on the other end of the scale here bub. I'm no too many 900 forums to say otherwise. Maybe there's a Texan only board where you all talked it down. Seems like a small bike for a state that large anyways. But it would have been more believable if you would say, 'I may be out on my own here but, I didn't dig the scoots pulley and my friends didn't either' But the majority? Bah, Humbug.
Seems like you took this one a little too personal (leave that for the kids forum). If you like it so much then good for you and enjoy. Other members are entitle to hear both good and bad reviews prior to their purchase and am just expressing my experience.

It is what it is, these sw front pulley makes very little difference and if you cruise over 70mph on the speedo then is worthless.

On a side note: I'm not sure what the state of Texas had to do with my opinion at all (again, save these type of coments for the kids forum). If you search you will find negative reviews of this product. Sometimes people want to see only what they want to see and I respect that. To each his own.

·
Registered
711 Posts
pulley

Screw it. Deleting the first post. Just want to say it's not been my experience nor my knowledge of the majority of folks taking it off. Maybe it's different there.

Edit, Oh look, it really just disappears so you wouldn't know my argumentative rear end had posted, unless you saw it, and in that case I'm sorry.
I see it now, I wish I had waited a bit longer to reply but is too late now.

No worries, we're just expressing our opinions that's all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is what it is, these sw front pulley makes very little difference and if you cruise over 70mph on the speedo then is worthless.
Makes absolutely no sense to me...70 MPH + in my opinion is where this pulley comes to life...UNLESS...the motor cant pull the lower rpm's in horsepower.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I dug a little deeper on some of those comments way back. I was surprised at the folks that swore against the pulley without ever using it. Oh it's gonna blow out that clutch. It'll ruin your engine because you're putting too much load on it. Just how many engines have YOU prepared for customers? Then I found out that there is a little movement out to torpedo Scootworks. Maybe movement is too harsh of a word. But I have talked to folks that if any product of theirs is mentioned they badmouth the product, badmouth Scoots and so on. Then I go to some folks that I trust and they have had or still have the products with no problems whatsoever.

My only problem with Scootworks is they have a delivery problem. Then again, I've never experienced it but that was luck in my case.

All that aside, I spend the majority of my time between 70-85 mph commuting in traffic. I've no idea the problems you're expressing. Oh well, we're never going to get a big cruiser effect of a motor just strolling along at 70mph.

·
Registered
976 Posts
However, this morning running the Gadgets speedo error page on the before and after the RPM of 70 mph true'd for OEM is 4556 and that translates to 83 mph true'd with the Scootworks pulley on. So yes, if the RPM is what gets you it will show right back up at a little over 80.

I still don't feel anything but then I didn't feel any bad vibration OEM and wouldn't take the Scoots pulley off again for nothing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Question...and I bet Mr Clean can answer it. I don't have my SW pulley in yet, but I noticed on the instructions, it says to use a 27MM socket on the pulley bolt. I don't have one of those, but usually American works on anything over 17MM...Is there an American size I can use instead of the 27MM, or do I need to go to a tool specialty store to buy a single socket?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts