Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Newbie here (new to the site not to riding). My current ride is a VN750 (2000 with 16K on the clock) and I think I'm ready to step up to a 900 custom. But before I pull the trigger let me ask would you do it again or would you make another choice. I know this is kind of a biased group but you also know the bike better than anyone else. So spill it!

Thanks,
Ron G

·
Registered
658 Posts
2007 custom here... no regrets.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd buy mine again in a second!!
I can't think of a better bike even if you kick the price up a thousand or two...:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I down sized from a 1250 sport tourer to buy my LT Classic .... It was my first (and only ) cruiser. My friends said i was crazy going to a smaller displacement and that i should be looking at a much larger bike but there was something about this bike that really appealed to me.

After lots of research and review reading, the only thing that appeared to be negatives were the stock seat, the passenger pegs to close to the pipes (heat), and the RPM's at a higher cruising speed. Thses are common to most bikes in this gendre and cc range so i pressed ahead and did the deal.

All of these "faults" can be fixed with minimal cost and i have done so over time. My conclusion is that this was the best suited bike that i have owned and the decision to purchase was the right one. It does not do all things great, just most things well. If you are looking for a daily driver with touring capabilities that provides good rider/passanger comfort giving good fuel milage for a reasonable buck ... this is a great bike. If your expectation is for something more, you may want to consider something else.

While the Custom 900 has a different seating / stance configuration than the classic there is a great range of aftermarket accessories for both at reasonable prices. This bike does have it nuances and buy no means is it perfect, but either model is a great bang for the buck.

Would i do it all over again ...... Hell Yeh

·
Registered
451 Posts
'07 LT here. I'd do it again in a blink. Great commuter, good touring bike--easily maneuverable in town, reasonably comfortable on the road. I think it'd be a little light for two up touring, but there are many here who do it, and say it's just fine.

MSRP on the '10 is a little high at $9300 plus prep and freight, I think, but 06 to 08's are all over the place for $4-5.5K. A genuine bargain.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was looking @ vtx 1300,1800 , yamaha 1100 & a few others but seen this great deal on this bike.I think I lucked out as you don't see many for sale around here.What really sold me is the position of the foot boards,gives the most forward position of all the bikes mentioned.Over the summer I have made this bike mine now with the extras.Its a great running bike,cool & consistant,don't think I'll ever get another carbed bike or sled after this.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ron G,

I also came to the 900 after six years on the 750 (had 48k on mine!). As much as I enjoyed the 750, the 900 is so much more... I don't think you would regret it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I picked up in May my first bike in twelve years, a '08 Custom 900. I did a lot of research and shopping around, and was focusing on the 900 Custom, a Yamaha V-Star 1200, a HD Sportster 883, a Vulcan 750 (a '04 for sale locally) and a Triumph America (among others (Honda, etc.)...but those were the main contenders).

Narrowed it down to the two Vulcans. I went back and forth many times, but ultimately went with the 900, and I'm even more confident today than I was then that I made the right decision.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've had my Redemption for a year and a half now (over 13,000 miles, both 1 and 2-up) and every time I step into the garage, I can feel the smile jump onto my face. Hopefully, that says it all.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I just upgraded from a 2007 Spirit 750 ( 19,000 miles in a year and a half) to the Kow., in February, and I got to say, this is the best deal I have come up with so far. After a 2700 mile ride from St. Louis to Sturgis and then out to Colorado before returning, this is one multipurpose bike. Small enough to still have some fun in the twisties, and large enough to handle a 16 hour ride at one time to Sturgis. The Spirit was a good bike, but the 900 "is' the man, in comparison. Would not hesitate to do it again

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here's the deal. I've got a good line on a real cherry 09 custom. But I've also found a really nice 07 classic with some nice farkles (bags, running lights, etc.) and although I wish it had cast wheels I like the way the classic sits. But I have a friend who recently went down in a turn because she rolled it over a little too far and as soon as it hit the floorboards she lost traction on the front tire and the bike just came out from under her. Has anyone else had this happen?

RG

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought my 09 900 custom less than a month ago and I've put 600 miles on it so far. I love it. I think it's more comfortable than my friends 1200 sportster. I won't be upgrading for awhile. The only downside is after my 200 mile ride today I wouldn't mind the gel seat. Once the car is paid off in 2 months I'll get to start making it officially mine with some nics mods ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
go for it

Scouted out all the various makes and models. My 06 900 classic Lt was the perfect fit for comfort. Greatly admire the Harley Heritage Classic.....but,
quite honestly...this Kaw is more comfortable.
It has performed flawlessly after nearly 10,000 miles and has not burbed
once. True, I sometimes try to find the sixth gear....but, will not alter the current gearing, like the torque too much. Knocked out the first exhaust screens and like the sound that gave so will not go further. A local upholstry store added about an inch or so foam to my driver seat and boy did that make a difference....Passenger seat doesn't need it. All I've added is a pair of cheap driving lights to my stock light bar, some highway bars, and a tack.
The tach is not really needed but did it for old times sake. Now, I just sit out in the garage a lot with a cold beer and admire the classic look of a great bike which I had the exceptionally wise judgement to purchase for a third of what a Harley would cost. And I'll Proudly park it beside any Make or model out there. Go get one...you won't be sorry. Then kick back and enjoy.
Don't forget to drop us a line about how much you're enjoying.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Now, I just sit out in the garage a lot with a cold beer and admire the classic look of a great bike which I had the exceptionally wise judgement to purchase for a third of what a Harley would cost.
nothing better than at the end of the day, after a great ride , cleaning my bike while enjoying a beer, thinking about that and reading your post put a big smile on my face.
Cheers

·
Registered
450 Posts
So here's the deal. I've got a good line on a real cherry 09 custom. But I've also found a really nice 07 classic with some nice farkles (bags, running lights, etc.) and although I wish it had cast wheels I like the way the classic sits. But I have a friend who recently went down in a turn because she rolled it over a little too far and as soon as it hit the floorboards she lost traction on the front tire and the bike just came out from under her. Has anyone else had this happen?

RG
nope and I've got plenty low and my floorboards are evidence. sounds to me like she hit the floorboard and panicked instead of riding it out (throttle up a lil and straighten her up).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I traded in my 750 at the beginning of the summer, and I am on the verge of ecstatic, and I loved my 750. The main improvement is comfort. The forward controls and lower handlebars make riding this bike a pleasure. Went on a 4 hour ride this past Labor Day and I had no back pain or leg cramps. I also appreciate the fuel injection.

Lee

1 - 20 of 38 Posts