Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Vaquero and went for my first ride. The owners manual says to keep it under 2500 RPM and I have done this. Here is my problem. My first tank of fuel has gotten me 131 kms so far (which is approximately 78 miles) and I am almost out of fuel on my gauge. The dash readout says I have a range of 109 km (which is approx. 60 miles). This should get me around 138 miles to a tank. NOT IMPRESSED!!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Is this something I should be alarmed about? How many miles are most of you getting now to a tank? And how many miles were you getting initially to a tank on your new Vaquero?
I am hoping this is a break in issue (with the engine almost lagging due to the low RPM and drinking more than usual juice) but I am not so sure it should be this drastic. What should I be looking at to improve this? Will it get better?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The first couple of tankfuls on my '12 Voyager were poor fuel mileage. They steadily got better and now I typically run 150-160 miles before it says I need fuel again. My bike now has over 6000 miles on it and I get between 38 and 43 miles per gallon depending upon how I ride.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just got my new Vaquero and went for my first ride. The owners manual says to keep it under 2500 RPM and I have done this. Here is my problem. My first tank of fuel has gotten me 131 kms so far (which is approximately 78 miles) and I am almost out of fuel on my gauge. The dash readout says I have a range of 109 km (which is approx. 60 miles). This should get me around 138 miles to a tank. NOT IMPRESSED!!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Is this something I should be alarmed about? How many miles are most of you getting now to a tank? And how many miles were you getting initially to a tank on your new Vaquero?
I am hoping this is a break in issue (with the engine almost lagging due to the low RPM and drinking more than usual juice) but I am not so sure it should be this drastic. What should I be looking at to improve this? Will it get better?
As a fellow Canadian, I have found that cold weather, like we have had this spring, really reduces mileage on the 1700.

As Motocyco wrote, it takes time (a few thousand kilometers) to fully break in the bike after which the mileage will increase as will the power. In my opinion, though, 2500 rpm seems a little low to properly break in an engine of this type. Depending on how I ride, I can usually get 300 km or more per tank in good weather.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hopefully you did break in drills for the first tank of fuel. No brakes, just bring it up to 2500 ROMs then engine brake. Repeat, and repeat again in each gear for the first tank. Then drop the oil and inspect.

Also, checking the oil is a little tricky on these bikes and some assemblers put too much oil in them which is not good. Check your oil level per the manual.

If I recall correctly, it took over a thousand miles for the economy to improve.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The longer you let it warmup the worse your mileage will be. Both of my bikes were bought new, my 800 got about 50mpg new but increased to an average of 55mpg after it had about 4-5000 miles on it. My Voyager got about 34mpg new, but now at just under 10,000 miles I average about 37-39mpg on the weekends, and around 34 during the week due to short trips to and from work. The fuel additives from the refinery can greatly affect milage also. Once you get a couple thousand miles on it, you should see it improve.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. It helps to ease my mind. I am going to refill the tank and try again. I too believe the 2500 RPM is too low to break in this engine and will increase that slightly to 3000. I will keep you posted on my findings.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
These engines have LOTS, and I mean LOTS of internal friction when new. They are very "tight" and gas mileage, engine performance and smoothness will improve as you accrue mileage.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If it's anything like my car it'll go up alot! I think my first tank in my focus was like 26mpg. Next tank 28. Now with 8k miles on it I'm averaging 34~35, and 42+ if I do mostly interstate.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
My 1700 Voyager stayed in the mid-to-low 30s till right around 1000 miles. It'll get over 40 if I ride it easy but that's hard to do on these with all that power :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I thought I read a post somewhere that said to not baby it right off the bat to help properly seat the piston/rings for better life? search time!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ethanol in the gasoline will reduce the MPG by 20% or more.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ethanol in the gasoline will reduce the MPG by 20% or more.
I think that depends on the vehicle. My car, for example, drops heavily with E85- but no real change with E10 over E0 (in the couple of times I've found E0). It's able to compensate pretty well.

On paper though, ethanol is less efficient than gasoline and thus the more ethanol in fuel, the more you'll need to use to expel the same amount of energy. But how much that affects MPG varies, I think. 20% may not be accurate for all vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I have noticed that my MPG is a little lower after moving to a Ethanol state from a non Ethanol state. BUT.... since most of the roads I drive on now are country roads at 50-60 MPH my MPG is more here than where I used to go everywhere at 90 miles an hour or faster.

On my last scoot I had the Yellow Box speedo compensator on it so I could set the cruise at 95. My speedo would show 85. I would be going 95-96.

By the way I still have a hand held radar if anyone needs to see how fast they are going. But My GPS always shows the same speed my radar shows.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Another things to point out if you haven't already seen it is that the gauge on the dash can't be trusted. You're MPG, as compared to the odometer, will run about 10% less than the gauge.

Here are some notes I took as examples
Gauge / Actual
42.9 / 38.75
44.3 / 40.71
43 / 36.55
40 / 39.34
42 / 40.1
37 / 32.62

Most I've put in was 4.69 gal at 163 miles with the next closest being 4.66 gal at 187. Cutting it close with about a half a gallon to go on both of those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Sandcrawler, my mileage gauge shows my average at 43.5 mpg yet the actual measurement at the pump comes out to 39 mpg

It doesn't matter, I'll put gas in as I need it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just love to ride and don't really pay much attention to the mileage. If I was worried about that, I would have stayed with the 900, which I really enjoyed riding. But when I get the Vaq out on the highway in OD with the cruise on, I am in heaven baby!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. Thanks for all the replies. Since I live in the Great White North, I have not had a lot of chances to ride yet this year as we just had ANOTHER snowfall. I finally got a chance to get out for a second ride. After filling the tank again, this time I did see an improvement as I went 170 kms ( which is around 102 miles) and I still have about a quarter tank left. WOOOHOOO!!!! I was getting scared after the first tank but as all of you have stated, there was an improvement. Hopefully things continue to get better as I am now sure they will as you have said. Looking forward to many more chances soon to experience the improvements.
If it keeps snowing, hopefully the new snowblower attachment doesn't affect the mileage too much...lol

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
don't really pay much attention to the mileage.
What he said............................

I would only care if it started running bad, no power, and uses a tank in 50 miles. Which I have had happen on a FI HD.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
i get around 39 between tanks and thats no highway.. i think i do better with 87 octane and synthetic oil .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts