Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I heve been reading and researching among the site and haven't found what I am looking for. So maybe some one can point me in the rite direction.

Problem: went for a ride last night and found my speedo light was out. Got home, checked over the bike and found my brake/tail light and liscense plate light out. So today I went and started her up and found my front driving lights out also (may have been out last night but I didn't notice). So today I checked the fuse and found the tail light fuse burnt. Problem solved? Nope, burnt the fuse as soon as I turn the key. Tried to start ohm'ing out the lines and found the tail light fuse out put side ohm'ing to ground. I disconected the tail light, plate light and turn signals just to make sure no load was going to the rear end. I also disconnected the speedo wire connecter to try and ohm straight lines.

The fuse output side ohms to ground. From the fuse block to the speedo ohms end to end and to ground. This has me thinking that there is a rubbed wire some where, or is this normal? I am able to ohm the rear turn signals end to end, but those are ok. I can not figure out what wire is which. I raised the tank to try and look for a rubbed wire, but HolySiznat theres alot of wires under there.

So what I am looking for is a wirering schematic or advice on what I should be looking for. Other than these lights being out, she starts and runs good. And the thing I am worried about is the stator going bad. I do have a winning noise, but it is mainly during shifting. So hopefully thats a belt issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jeep Pirate for the help. Well this is what happened today:

Got the schematics today. Spent all day at work today studing and learning all the wires and connection points. Had it down pretty good. Came home and tore into my bike. The tank is fairly easy to get off. Started ohm'img out the wires and traceing the problem, And believe it or not, but I got it fixed. Now remember, I have my poor bike torn all apart. Seat off, side covers off, tank off, all connection points disconnected. Still couldnt find the problem. So now I started to take the front turn signals off and the head light. While removing the left side driving light, checked it to ground, still bad. Opened up the right driving light, removed the bulb and did the test ohm before taking it apart, and no ohm to ground. Thats rite, a burnt duel element bulb caused all my problems. I put my bike all back together and installed a new dual element bulb and tested the whole system. It works! I never thought it was a bulb issue since it still worked as a blinker. But aparently when the run elelent burnt it laid across the leads causing the run power line to ohm to ground which burnt the fuse which killed power to all the run lights and break light.

So the good thing is I now know the wires on the 900 modles, I learned to take my tank off, and I learned that when there is a problem- check the easy stuff first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts