Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
541 Posts
Most of the oil labeled synthetic nowadays is just highly refined mineral oil anyway...so a switch really isn't a switch in most cases anyways.
When people change their old oil they may hear a difference in valve train noise as you have a viscosity change as the oil is fresh compared to the older oil ...sometimes it can as simple as fuel contamination that we didn't know we even had.
Or engine may feel free-er after an oil change if the new brand has a lower viscosity within the scale itself

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most of the oil labeled synthetic nowadays is just highly refined mineral oil anyway...so a switch really isn't a switch in most cases anyways.
When people change their old oil they may hear a difference in valve train noise as you have a viscosity change as the oil is fresh compared to the older oil ...sometimes it can as simple as fuel contamination that we didn't know we even had.
Or engine may feel free-er after an oil change if the new brand has a lower viscosity within the scale itself
Seems like my ol dog('17 ) likes semi synthetic,Why,I have No idea-in any event,after runnin the ol dog on 10w40 for what seems like forever,I do beleive I'm gonna try 15w50 semi syn oil&we'll see how that works\No matter what oil I run in my bike,seems like the hotter the weather,the "noisier" &or More 'Rattlin' comes from the fuel injectors!?!/'like I said,another 1000 miles or so,&we'll see what 15w50 seems to do for the ol boy-Still gettin round 65.5 M P G 's-so No [email protected]:)(y):sneaky::cool::p;)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So you riders that have been not using ear plugs, and probably have not great hearing, can tell that the valve train is quieter with using brand X oil.
Oh and did I mention that loud exhaust you have as well.
I'm sure you can hear it above that quiet exhaust!
Again I cry BS!

·
Registered
23 Posts
So you riders that have been not using ear plugs, and probably have not great hearing, can tell that the valve train is quieter with using brand X oil.
Again I cry BS!
Could it be that you're the one that has a hearing problem? Perception is subjective. Objective analytical tests with sound methodology resulting in good empirical data is what counts. Just saying...🤓

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
541 Posts
Again I cry BS!
Its not the brand its the viscosity.
Some of us run stock intake and exhaust and have quite bikes..I can hear my valve clack no problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its not the brand its the viscosity.
Some of us run stock intake and exhaust and have quite bikes..I can hear my valve clack no problem
Well,first of all,Stock exhaust(&All stock on my17 ol dog for that matter)-Secondly,the noise I heard from the left side of the motor was Actually a Stupid crack'd vaccuum hose under the gas tank!!?!!/& definately&3rd'ly the oils I've had the Most success with is the Maxima 10w40 semi synthetic\Why?-I have No idea,but MY Vulcan s seems to like semi-syn oils......On that note,I do beleive I will be trying out Motul's 15w50 semi syn,just too see how it works out;Unfortunately,w/all this Rainy weather here in S.Fla lately the oil dog's been spending more time covered up than ridin time......If we ever get Back to this nice&Hot s. fla weather(Which I Hope is Soon) I'll be back to happy riding Again:) My current oil only has around 5-6 hundred miles on it,so it'll be a lil while before the next oil change/Still No complaints-w/almost 39000 miles on my ride,still gettin 65.5 M P G 's:) I will gladly say,that I can't wait to get these Dunlop tires off my [email protected] end of the year&put some Shinko's on my ol dog:)-*Dunlops are a Wa$te of Money!!?!!:) Maybe *1 day I'll be able to afford $ome Avon tires-I'm Very curious how'd they work out on a Vulcan s:):cool::love:(y):sneaky:

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
541 Posts
Well,first of all,Stock exhaust(&All stock on my17 ol dog for that matter)-Secondly,the noise I heard from the left side of the motor was Actually a Stupid crack'd vaccuum hose under the gas tank!!?!!/& definately&3rd'ly the oils I've had the Most success with is the Maxima 10w40 semi synthetic\Why?-I have No idea,but MY Vulcan s seems to like semi-syn oils......On that note,I do beleive I will be trying out Motul's 15w50 semi syn,just too see how it works out;Unfortunately,w/all this Rainy weather here in S.Fla lately the oil dog's been spending more time covered up than ridin time......If we ever get Back to this nice&Hot s. fla weather(Which I Hope is Soon) I'll be back to happy riding Again:) My current oil only has around 5-6 hundred miles on it,so it'll be a lil while before the next oil change/Still No complaints-w/almost 39000 miles on my ride,still gettin 65.5 M P G 's:) I will gladly say,that I can't wait to get these Dunlop tires off my [email protected] end of the year&put some Shinko's on my ol dog:)-*Dunlops are a Wa$te of Money!!?!!:) Maybe *1 day I'll be able to afford $ome Avon tires-I'm Very curious how'd they work out on a Vulcan s:):cool::love:(y):sneaky:
Which bike are you getting 65 mpg on..thats pretty good...what speed is that at.
Being able to hear that vacuum line is testament that some engines are indeed quiet.
I can hear my tank whistle...the roll of the tires..as well as that valve clack..front sprocket as well ..stock exhaust and intake...I like quiet..I can make some noise if I open it up though.
I have an attached garage and can leave the house half the time without anyone knowing it if a fan or the AC is running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which bike are you getting 65 mpg on..thats pretty good...what speed is that at.
Being able to hear that vacuum line is testament that some engines are indeed quiet.
I can hear my tank whistle...the roll of the tires..as well as that valve clack..front sprocket as well ..stock exhaust and intake...I like quiet..I can make some noise if I open it up though.
I have an attached garage and can leave the house half the time without anyone knowing it if a fan or the AC is running.
'17 Kaw 650 Vulcan s is my ride(my ol dog),@almost 39000 miles-&Yes,my 17 ol dog is Fairly quiet w/the stock exhaust-the only Real noise is the rattling from the fuel injectors on these bikes-Although Alot of people ridin these 650 Vulcan s's Think the noise is from the valetrain,it's Actually from the dog gonn'd fuel injectors!??!/As far as the front sprocket noise,Yes,it's There!-*Along w/the drive chain noise,too(lol:)-&Yes,I can Hear a lil More from the motor when I open the throttle up on the highway:) The tank "whistlin",that usually occurs after the bike's been sittin in the Heat for awhile; as far as the 65.5 mpg's goes-Yea,sometimes I can't/don't beleive it myself-lol:) & as far as "valve noise",I've Literally had my valves chek'd *3 times since I've owned my ol dog(I'm the Only/Original Owner:) )-&as to What speeds I've been doin? Well,its like this-10 miles,highway,then 5 miles city,thats Goin to work\5 miles city,then 10 miles highway goin home(w/about 2-4 miles runnin after work errands);Now That's the Estimated daily mileage(Work mileage,Weather Permitting). City riding,I Try to do the speed limit,its Kinda Dangerous down here in S. Fla unless you wanna end up as Road Kill or in a Hospital:( - On the hughway I Try to stay out of Harms way,Speed limit or not,on I-95,Especially during mornin rush hour it can be bumper to bumper,Alot!!?!! On the ride home,it usually [email protected] decent pace,Unless we're blessed w/an accident!?!- I used to run my ol dog wide open about once a month-111 miles an hour(approx) -until I very recently had to have my rear tire Plugg'd! But usually,I try to run 75-85 miles an hour on any givin day on the hwy. Maybe the fact that I always run high test gas in my ride helps,too-lol:) By the way,that 65.5 mpg is what the digital readout is every nite before I shut the ol dog down. I guess 1 could say that I 'Baby my ol dog-Largest bike I've ever owned,but actually,No complaints:). New pair of Shinko [email protected] end of the year-We'll see how those work out:) Ride Safe&Keep the Rubber on the Road:)
:geek: (y):sneaky::love::cool:

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
541 Posts
Pretty efficient....stock for the win.
I can get in the 50s with my 500 but have never achieved 60s....she is most happy around 70 mph....but will taunt many a larger bike at any speed..I doubt she would taunt the 650..but I expect the 650 is one taunting machine while gingerly sipping on that gasoline...all while doing it quietly...further taunting the noise makers .
Small majestic twin whilebyou can still hear the church choir down the street on a Sunday..Hear the could of that beautiful Ferrari as it eases around rather than our own pipes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty efficient....stock for the win.
I can get in the 50s with my 500 but have never achieved 60s....she is most happy around 70 mph....but will taunt many a larger bike at any speed..I doubt she would taunt the 650..but I expect the 650 is one taunting machine while gingerly sipping on that gasoline...all while doing it quietly...further taunting the noise makers .
Small majestic twin whilebyou can still hear the church choir down the street on a Sunday..Hear the could of that beautiful Ferrari as it eases around rather than our own pipes.
yea,its kinda funny,seems like every 1 wants a V twin(w/Big cc's-lol);yet even goin back to my honda rebel 250 twins(Which I actually enjoy'd alot),I've always Loved these Paralell twin motors;There just too much Fun:) As far as yer 500,I can almost Most certainly Enjoy ridin that bike:) *&Besides that,(in All Actuality,the kaw 650 vulcan s twin motor is simply a 650 ninja motor thats been de-tune'd,More or less for a sport cruiser/Probably a milder cam,I'd bet-lol)....Besides,the Joy of these lil kaw motors is the fun of takin 1 of those OverPriced$(lol)Hogs off the line in local traffic:) Nuthin like low end torque!?!:) Ride Safe&Keep the Rubber on the Road:):unsure:(y):sneaky:o_O:cool::p:geek:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You must have an extreme sense of touch/feel if you can tell if you have 10w-40 or 10w-30 oil installed.
I think there are places that would like to hire you with such a skill!
Not to mention if there is wind that day, the humidity in the air, ect all would make you hear a different sound as well as the speed your going.
That you can tell such differences is fantastic! Great hearing on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
24 Posts
You must have an extreme sense of touch/feel if you can tell if you have 10w-40 or 10w-30 oil installed.
Not to mention if there is wind that day, the humidity in the air, ect all would make you hear a different sound as well as the speed your going.
If you'd been riding my ol dog as long as I have,You'd know every sound it has, too:) 🤓 :ROFLMAO: :po_O

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
541 Posts
Who put in10/30?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No,no hearing skills here(Hell,Sometimes I can't even hear myself thinkin-lol) /are'nt you being just a little harsh-I strongly beleive the more you ride your bike the more you get used to its sounds......As far as an oil discussion,I'm tendin to wish I had'nt started this 1/Let me explain;Have you ever had a shop do an engine re-build?(That they Totally SCREWED UP?)- the 1 that did my re-build "Claimed they had a Good tech,Who turned out to be a total peice of shit that screwed up my motor by filling it w/Gear oil!!!!!-I'm still looking forward to the day when I can Slash the tires on his ride,&Maybe Torch it,too..... I had to trade that old bike in,&for a Mea$ly $3500 engine overhaul. I have absolutely No respect for the shop,their owner,&the Jerk off that calls himself a Tech\So if that makes me seem just a lil bit upset,Well,it Does..... By the way,2mos.later&2 attempts by this "so called" tech to try & correct his F...ing Ignorance&he Still Could'nt fix his own Stupid ass mistakes-SOME PEOPLE SHOULD'NT BE ALLOWED TO TURN A WRENCH!!!?!!! I don't care how many Hrs they Claim to have gone to a Trade school OR how many darn'd certificates they can show you-Those are the very 1's I LEAST Trust..... PLEASE EXCUSE MY SLIGHT AGGRAVATION,FORUM MEMBERS-So, now,lets get the B.S. started on engine oils,Shall we? 1st of all,I do know of a Very Good tech who can even tell you Where to send your oil out to be tested,If 1 chooses to do so. 2ndly,we can all talk about the brands of All oils,All day long-Every 1's got the oils they Love and/or Dislike or Refuse to try/use:) Some will swear by Motul,Royal Purple,Castrol,Shell Rotella,the "in famous" Mobil 1,Amszoil,Lucas,& ON&ON&ON......Personally,if any 1 out there can Afford to try out different oils until they find 1 that there happy w/its Performance/Longevity,More Power to them:) &I do mean that in a + Positive way,Please:). I'm actually 1 of those *Idiot's(Call me what you will,no offense taken here:) )-that tryed ,(on my Honda Rebel 250's in the old days),I actually tryed Bel Ray,&Valvoline Motorcycle oil's;&@the end of the day,No Real noticeable Difference-lol:) & I also feel that its 'kinda a Myth' when some1 says that 1 oil will make there ride shift smoother than another brand will.... *Maybe the Viscosity(Thicker?) may make an difference,Maybe/If Aint Broke,Don't Fix it:) I DON'T CARE IF IT'S A CAR'S ENGINE,MOTORCYCLE ENGINE,LAWN MOWER ENGINE,OR DEISEL TRUCK ENGINE!?!-When they get Old w/More mileage on em,They're gonna Tend to Make a lil bit of "sounds",No? What I do see on the forum is some members will Critisize (Sorry if I got that Spelling Wrong) some of the other members/Vulcan riders for trying out different oils and/or asking questions about different oils/weights to try out. I Personally Am 1 of the members who has both tryed out different oils&have had plenty of re-marks about my continuous oil changing(@low mileage). I realize that some members here Don't change their oil as often as others do,But is that Any reason to " Harp " on people for trying something different Too See What advantages OR Disadvantages it has on their rides? Yes,Most oils are pretty much the same these days,I can only imagine. &Last time I looked,Every 1's entitled to their own opinion:-Me personally,4 years Later&Still payin off my ol dog/So,when I'm tryin out different oils&or oil weight's,I'm simply Tryin to pro long my engines/gearbox life as long as I can:) Sorry for such a L O N G paragraph on what should be a fairly Simple topic-I also realize that some members here like to use 'sarcastic' criticism as a way to get there points across,&Thats O K....-But hey,as Crazy as times are in this day&age/Lets Try to UPLIFT EACH OTHER,NOT PUT SOME 1 DOWN..... I'm in Retail,&I can tell you(&my customers),When my customers are confused about their products&want to try to fix things themselves(alot of times because they Can't afford the repair CO$T)I Kindly remind them,Don't be afraid to ask question's-BECAUSE THE DUMBEST QUESTION IS THE 1 THAT YOU DON'T ASK:) :cool:;):rolleyes:(y):love::geek:Thanx for lettin me speak on tha1,Forum-RIDE SAFE,KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD/&KEEP YOUR RIDE PROPERLY LUBED-LOL:)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
As posted by someone trying to disagree with me -
"Perception is subjective "
Your mind tells you that the oil you just put in is far better than others you've used - subjective!
I'm not belittling anyone or telling anyone they dont know anything.
I'm just calling BS that you can tell one brand oil from another.
Its your perceived "feeling" that this oil is better than others you've used.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As posted by someone trying to disagree with me -
"Perception is subjective "
Your mind tells you that the oil you just put in is far better than others you've used - subjective!
I'm not belittling anyone or telling anyone they dont know anything.
I'm just calling BS that you can tell one brand oil from another.
Its your perceived "feeling" that this oil is better than others you've used.
:)&Ya know,You're probably right-as I've said before,I do believe that Most of these oil on the market today are probably close in any/&or most comparisons:) I think the Only time 1 should worry about using an top of the line oil is when they're Racin:) ..... Ride Safe&Keep the Rubber on the Road:) 🤓 :ROFLMAO: 🤓:cool:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts