Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well,gang,I know there's been a Lot of discussions on oil;just wanted to say that I tryed out some Maxima 10w40 Pro+. I know from the oil discussions that I don't hear of too many riders using the Maxima oils,but I can honestly say that there stuff works for me:). Engine seems to be a lil bit quieter,&my MPG's are still around 65.4. I'll definately stick w/full synthetic oils from now on. & it has'nt really been too hot here in S.Fla.yet,I'll decide then if I'll go w/a 50 weight oil or not. Ride Safe&Keep the Rubber on the Road:)
:cool:(y):D:cool:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I always wonder how much difference people would notice if the oil was changed to something different without them knowing it it had been changed to something different.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I always wonder how much difference people would notice if the oil was changed to something different without them knowing it it had been changed to something different.
Honestly, I don't know how much difference I would notice between different synthetics with my Voyager, but I'm pretty sure I would know if conventional oil was in it, because I'm sure shifting down to first would get more difficult sooner with conventional oil.

With the Honda Sabre 1100 I had, I could definitely tell the difference between brands of conventional oils and also brands of synthetic. Sabre's are quite finicky about oil. I tried a bunch of conventional oils. Some provided better shifting than others. Then I switched to synthetics and got better shifting and lasted longer, but found that Royal Purple Max Cycle gave the best shifting overall and it stayed good longer than other synthetics I tried.

When I bought the Voyager, it had fresh Kawi oil in it and the shifting started degrading at about 3500 miles. I switched to RP and found that normal (for me) riding results in noticeable shift degradation at a little over 4500 miles, and a bit over 5000 if doing mostly highway riding, like on long trips. I change at 4000 miles (4500 mostly highway) now. RP is the only motorcycle oil I use now.

By degrading shifting, I mean when coming to a stop and downshifting, the more degraded the oil, the more likely I will have to hit the shifter more than once to get into first gear. I ALWAYS want to be in first gear when or immediately after coming to a stop. This has saved my bacon twice when I would have been the meat in a car and/or truck sandwich if I had not been able to immediately scoot out of the way. Always be in the correct gear for your speed, including at full stop.

Reactions: B3Hulk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use a full synthetic because it’s just not that much more for what I know is better protection, but I seriously doubt I could tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
NOT a chance you'd know if a different oil was used.
MOST of it is in your mind.
But all you hear/read is how when I use/switched to brand X - it sounds, feels, shifts, rides better/smoother.
BS!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
But all you hear/read is how when I use/switched to brand X - it sounds, feels, shifts, rides better/smoother.
BS!
You can believe what you want, but I know there was a difference with different oils in my Sabre, especially with conventional oils.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
540 Posts
BS!
My recent oil change from unknown oil to Rotella 15-40 results in a quieter valvetrain as well as a different feeling clutch.
The reduced valve train noise will be due to viscosity...the clutch feel a combination of viscosity difference and a different additive package

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do believe most can feel some difference. But oil is like tires. You are always going from old worn out to new. So there should be a major difference.
Now if you were to put one brand of oil in run for a couple hundred miles. Then switch out to a different brand, would you notice a difference? 🤔I have no idea. Who's going to do that.🤪🤣

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Now if you were to put one brand of oil in run for a couple hundred miles. Then switch out to a different brand, would you notice a difference? 🤔I have no idea. Who's going to do that.🤪🤣
Someone really interested in checking the alignment between their perceptions and actual?

Problem is, when you know a change has been made your perceptions are already biased. That makes it a quite complex endeavour and a lot of work to pull off with any real confidence in the result, which tends to take the fun out of it. Hence, to your point from a practical perspective, probably nobody will do it to that degree.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
AND my point - if you had someone else do the oil change or only fake that a oil change was done, and not tell you any info - you would not know the difference.
Its a mind game.

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
592 Posts
I know I am always "outside the box" of normal, but I agree that perceptions can be biased.

Mine are usually more critical - as when making a change I am actually more critical, more discerning, and wary of what could actually go wrong.

So, if something actually goes right and disaster is avoided, I am a happy camper.

Problem is, when you know a change has been made your perceptions are already biased.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
AND my point - if you had someone else do the oil change or only fake that a oil change was done, and not tell you any info - you would not know the difference.
Its a mind game.
I understand. What you describe is what I alluded to by "...a quite complex endeavour and a lot of work to pull off with any real confidence...". Blind tests or, even better, double blind tests; all that rigmarole.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand. What you describe is what I alluded to by "...a quite complex endeavour and a lot of work to pull off with any real confidence...". Blind tests or, even better, double blind tests; all that rigmarole.
well,w/all the rigamore&all,less than a thousand miles later,still good gas mileage-but No,Idon't the full synthetic in my '17 vulcan. quieter top end(Noise wise)Yes,but now the left side of my motor ,sounds like theres an exhaust leak or something? I had my mechanic Racin Ray take a [email protected] motor&listen to it & he says its ok;I'm just not totally happy w/the results from the maxima pro plus full synthetic oil.....Maybe thats why I don't here of any 1 using it. oh well,back to the drawing board! I guess its true that you should'nt run an older engine w/alot of mileage on full synthetic if you have'nt been runnin it on the full syn from the beginning.... & by the way,to the gentlemen who says you won't notice a difference,I Respectfully disagree:) Ride safe&Be Well:) just turned 38,000 on the odomter last night(If that really makes a difference or not),I always said I would run my ol dog on semi synthetic-LOOKS LIKE I'LL LIVE W/THAT DECISION:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
am into Maxima 10W40 on previous bikes and will have it exchange for Maxima Extra 15W50. some swear by it certain oil make it more smooth, maybe it does, to me any fully synthetic of reputable brand will do and CHEAPEST i can get my hands on...as i change every 4,000-5,000km with fully synthetic. for oil filter i got hiflo oil filter, model 303 i think.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
AND this "I guess its true that you should'nt run an older engine w/alot of mileage on full synthetic if you have'nt been runnin it on the full syn from the beginning.... "
Is as made up as any news on Facebook.
Not true in any fashion!

·
Registered
23 Posts
BS!
I somewhat agree with you that it may not be switching from brand A to brand B but switching from old oil to new oil. I have a new bike and when I switched whatever factory oil they had in there to Motul synthetic, I could totally tell the difference when I was shifting the first ride afterwards. It was buttery smooth for the first little while until I forgot about it.

Can I still tell now that I've gone 300-400 km...probably not. Maybe because I've gotten used to it but the feeling on the initial oil change, I don't think it is all in our 'heads'.

It would be nice to have someone change my motor oil without me knowing and I then I go out for a ride and get asked if I noticed anything...but where do I find an awesome friend/neighbour like that? o_O

A

1 - 20 of 37 Posts