Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
The lower W number is affect how fast the oil gets to the needed areas on startup. The higher number will affect gas mileage. Not sure how much or if it will improve protection

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower W number is affect how fast the oil gets to the needed areas on startup. The higher number will affect gas mileage. Not sure how much or if it will improve protection
Just curious-one of the bike mechanics I know talked to- 1 of his [email protected] Kaw Dealership/HIS FRIEND SAID THAT AFTER 15000 MILES you should be running 20W50 FULL SYNTHETIC &THAT SHOULD QUIET DOWN THE MOTOR A BIT(!?!?) I've been Reading a Shitload of VARIOUS Articles on motorcycles oils,Mind you-&QUITE FRANKLY I'm Seriously thinking of just runnig 10w40 FULL SYNTHETIC in my ol Dog&Callin it a Day1111111......Hell,I Change the Darn oil EVERY 3000 MILES/&or when it Looks Dirty!! (my father was an auto/aircraft/Re-tired Deisel Mechanic)& I never remember him reccommending 20w50 oil in ANY ENGINES(MAYBE IN THE DEISEL TRUCKS)-So quite Honestly,I'm leanin on to beleive that 20w50 oil for this Vulcan Kaw Twin MAY BE OVERKILL!?! UNLESS THE 20W50 FULL SYNTHETIC is Thinner? Hell,I'm CONFUSED!-&NO,I'm Not tryin to start some B S ing oil debate on this Forum/JUST TRYIN TO PROTECT My Engine:) As far as the MPG's are concerned,I Know that a Higher mileage engine is going to lose them Eventually-My Main Concern is NOT Tearin up my motor-&By the way\I Do'nt Remember-WHAT MODEL IS THAT LONGER OIL FILTER YOU USE? THANX FOR LISTEN TO ME BEARSLAYER(&COMMUNITY):) I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL YOUR ADVICE&FEEDBACK1:)

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
PL 14610 or variation ( Boss) . The Wix NAPA, or Mobil One are all excellent alternative so find the equivalent.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
No 20W 50 is not thinner. I would not be afraid of the 50 but I wouldn't want to raise the Winter (W) component of the oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Proper lubrication comes from having an oil thin enough to get between moving parts and thick enough to stay there. As engines get older and wear increases those gaps, moving to a heavier weight maintains that balance. I don’t think 15,000 miles calls for increasing the oil weight. Also, with only two quarts of oil lubricating that thing, I’m not sure I’d want to slow down how quickly it gets moving through the engine. Just my opinion...

I’m at 14,000 miles. I change every 3,000 with a full or semi synthetic 10w40. I don’t pay much mind to this brand over that brand.

·
Registered
793 Posts
OMG what has been posted here!
VISCOSITY
Most oils on the shelves today are "Multigrades", which simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades.
Multigrades were first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the old routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.
In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature/cold start performance.
The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C etc. Your owners manual will specify whether a 30, 40 or 50 etc is required.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Your choice of oil can depend on a number of factors. Since you change the oil every 3000 miles, you don't need to worry about how you ride (stop and go, lots of short trips, etc. vs. long steady cruises on the highway). If you change that often, you probably don't even need to worry about synthetic vs conventional oil, but I would still use synthetic.

So the main questions are what do you call hot weather and what is the lowest temperature you ride in? If you regularly ride below 40°F and only change the oil once per year, go with 10W-40. If you park it when the temps drop below 40°F and you have a lot of summer highs 95°F up to triple digits, 20W-50 may be what you want to use. 10W-40 may not stand up as well as 20W-50 to summer heat, but it's better than running an oil that is too heavy in colder weather. If you change it often enough ride in cooler weather, and it is very hot in the summer, then using 10W-40 in the cooler months and 20W-50 in the summer may be the way to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your choice of oil can depend on a number of factors. Since you change the oil every 3000 miles, you don't need to worry about how you ride (stop and go, lots of short trips, etc. vs. long steady cruises on the highway). If you change that often, you probably don't even need to worry about synthetic vs conventional oil, but I would still use synthetic.

So the main questions are what do you call hot weather and what is the lowest temperature you ride in? If you regularly ride below 40°F and only change the oil once per year, go with 10W-40. If you park it when the temps drop below 40°F and you have a lot of summer highs 95°F up to triple digits, 20W-50 may be what you want to use. 10W-40 may not stand up as well as 20W-50 to summer heat, but it's better than running an oil that is too heavy in colder weather. If you change it often enough ride in cooler weather, and it is very hot in the summer, then using 10W-40 in the cooler months and 20W-50 in the summer may be the way to go.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES-I BELEIVE I'M JUST GONNA RUN THE 10W40 FULL SYN/BY MID-SUMMER I MAY TRY 15W50 FULL SYN\WE'LL SEE&I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE RESULTS-......THANX AGAIN:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had 2 Nomad's... a 1999 1500 and an 05' 1600, and now a 17' Voyager, covering over 17 years, putting on a total of almost 130k miles. I live in West Central Fl. and been running 5w 50 Full Synthetic for ALL those years with excellent mileage, and no engine issues. If I lived up north, I'd likely be running with a 10w 40 or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear ya,but those 1500&1600's yer runnin aint exactltly the Same as a 650 TWIN!?! JUS SAYIN..... i think the 10w40 full syn OR maybe the 15w50 full syn for this Fla.(South) Heat will do just fine for me/THANX JUST THE SAME FOR YOUR INPUT-WHAT SYN BRAND OIL R YOU RUNNIN?:) ALSO BEN GETTIN CAUGHT IN *ALOT OF RAIN LATELY/I THINK IT MIGHT BE TIME TO CLEAN MY AIR FILTER AGAIN.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear ya,but those 1500&1600's yer runnin aint exactltly the Same as a 650 TWIN!?! JUS SAYIN..... i think the 10w40 full syn OR maybe the 15w50 full syn for this Fla.(South) Heat will do just fine for me/THANX JUST THE SAME FOR YOUR INPUT-WHAT SYN BRAND OIL R YOU RUNNIN?:) ALSO BEN GETTIN CAUGHT IN *ALOT OF RAIN LATELY/I THINK IT MIGHT BE TIME TO CLEAN MY AIR FILTER AGAIN.....
Then again,MAYBE its just time i got a BIGGER Bike-LOL:) this 'ol Dog 650 V S Sure is Gettin a Good Workout!!?!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
AMSIOL V Twin

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I use Royal Purple Max Cycle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use Royal Purple Max Cycle.
OK,I'M REALLY CONFUSED NOW!!/EVERY1 I TALK TO ON THIS FORUM SAYS 10W40 FULL SYN IS JUST FINE; OK-FIRST OF ALL,DOES ANY1 W/THE *650 VS HAVE AS MANY (or More miles?) on their 650 vs as i do? 30,500+ /Secondly,Has any1 had Any Major Issues w/this motor? I DO ALL * THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE ON THIS BIKE-OIL CHANGES EVERY 3-4 THOUSAND MILES,SPARK CHANGES @ LEAST ONCE A YEAR, *2 VALVE ADJUSTMENTS IN THE 30 THOUSAND MILES THAT I'VE OWNED IT(3YRS. NOW) 2 AIR CLEANER CLEANINGS\ COOLANT FLUSHES-TWICE;WHAT AM I MISSING HERE? I DO'NT ABUSE THE BIKE-THE ONLY TIME I RIDE IT IN THE RAIN is When I get caught in these S.Fla. rains when I get off work..... Yet the Motorcyclist's (KAWASAKI riders) I talk to down here in S.Fla ALL say w/this much heat I SHOULD BE RUNNING 20W50 OIL...... NOW I'VE GOT A LOW HUMMING SOUND COMING FROM MY TRANNY SIDE OF THE MOTOR-IDLING/SITTING STILL-or When riding!! Could this be my STATOR/ALTERNATOR TRYING TO CHARGE MY BATTERY? Is the Transmission Supposed to Humm? Or am I just imagining things? &Yet,All in all, NO TAILPIPE/ENGINE SMOKE,NO ENGINE LIGHTS WHATSOEVER,STILL PLENTY OF PICK-UP/ACCELERATION\EVEN WHEN TRYIN A TANK(@LEAST,I TOP OFF MY TANK W/ABOUT 1/2 GAL OF GAS EVERY NIGHT) OF MID GRADE GAS FOR A WEEK-&*NO,I DID'NT REALLY SEE ANY MAJOR&or BIG DIFFERENCE 'S THEIR EITHER!?! THIS BIKE REALLY HAS ME CONFUSED!!!!! I GUESS I'LL JUST RIDE IT TIL A *GOOD MECHANIC TELLS ME DIFFERENT!?! I can only say-as NOISY as these Kaw twin Motors r-SO FAR ITS BEEN1 HECK of A Dependable bike!!!! Maybe w/the Saddlebags,Windsheild,luggage rack&Engine guards on this ride-Maybe I need to lighten up its load(&by the way/I only weigh about 145 Soakin wet!) DOES ANY 1 RIDE THEIR 650 VS 7 Days a week-Weather permitting(!)? I really Thought that this bike being a 650 would'nt be up too this much Longevity-I WILL ADMIT,IT DEFINATELY HAS SURORISED ME:) ONCE AGAIN-THANX FOR HEARING ME COMMUNITY-ANY FEEDBACK IS *ALWAYS GREATLY APPRECIATED\ JUST CURIOUS-ANYONE EVER SPUN AN ENGINE BEARING ON 1 OF THESE KAW 650 V S's? &or Had to have their engine torn down or overhauled? Thanx Again for Listening:)

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
OK,I'M REALLY CONFUSED NOW!!/EVERY1 I TALK TO ON THIS FORUM SAYS 10W40 FULL SYN IS JUST FINE; OK-FIRST OF ALL,DOES ANY1 W/THE *650 VS HAVE AS MANY (or More miles?) on their 650 vs as i do? 30,500+ /Secondly,Has any1 had Any Major Issues w/this motor? I DO ALL * THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE ON THIS BIKE-OIL CHANGES EVERY 3-4 THOUSAND MILES,SPARK CHANGES @ LEAST ONCE A YEAR, *2 VALVE ADJUSTMENTS IN THE 30 THOUSAND MILES THAT I'VE OWNED IT(3YRS. NOW) 2 AIR CLEANER CLEANINGS\ COOLANT FLUSHES-TWICE;WHAT AM I MISSING HERE? I DO'NT ABUSE THE BIKE-THE ONLY TIME I RIDE IT IN THE RAIN is When I get caught in these S.Fla. rains when I get off work..... Yet the Motorcyclist's (KAWASAKI riders) I talk to down here in S.Fla ALL say w/this much heat I SHOULD BE RUNNING 20W50 OIL...... NOW I'VE GOT A LOW HUMMING SOUND COMING FROM MY TRANNY SIDE OF THE MOTOR-IDLING/SITTING STILL-or When riding!! Could this be my STATOR/ALTERNATOR TRYING TO CHARGE MY BATTERY? Is the Transmission Supposed to Humm? Or am I just imagining things? &Yet,All in all, NO TAILPIPE/ENGINE SMOKE,NO ENGINE LIGHTS WHATSOEVER,STILL PLENTY OF PICK-UP/ACCELERATION\EVEN WHEN TRYIN A TANK(@LEAST,I TOP OFF MY TANK W/ABOUT 1/2 GAL OF GAS EVERY NIGHT) OF MID GRADE GAS FOR A WEEK-&*NO,I DID'NT REALLY SEE ANY MAJOR&or BIG DIFFERENCE 'S THEIR EITHER!?! THIS BIKE REALLY HAS ME CONFUSED!!!!! I GUESS I'LL JUST RIDE IT TIL A *GOOD MECHANIC TELLS ME DIFFERENT!?! I can only say-as NOISY as these Kaw twin Motors r-SO FAR ITS BEEN1 HECK of A Dependable bike!!!! Maybe w/the Saddlebags,Windsheild,luggage rack&Engine guards on this ride-Maybe I need to lighten up its load(&by the way/I only weigh about 145 Soakin wet!) DOES ANY 1 RIDE THEIR 650 VS 7 Days a week-Weather permitting(!)? I really Thought that this bike being a 650 would'nt be up too this much Longevity-I WILL ADMIT,IT DEFINATELY HAS SURORISED ME:) ONCE AGAIN-THANX FOR HEARING ME COMMUNITY-ANY FEEDBACK IS *ALWAYS GREATLY APPRECIATED\ JUST CURIOUS-ANYONE EVER SPUN AN ENGINE BEARING ON 1 OF THESE KAW 650 V S's? &or Had to have their engine torn down or overhauled? Thanx Again for Listening:)
Just ride Bro. Kaw has run this same motor in the ninja since 2006 and bullet proof twins for even longer. I would never hear a hum since my ears have been ringing since I was 50 lol. Run the oil you been running or if worried bump up to the 20W-50. probably wont hurt a thing either way. Its not like you are running the oil past its useful life. Hell I bet you can read a newspaper through the oil changing it that often. Long gone are the days of needing a rebuild at 25000 miles.I mean right now the purchase price has been $0.05 a mile for you, so you must be doing something right.(y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANKS BEAR SLAYER/I REALLY WANT TO RIDE THIS BIKE TIL I'M DEAD!!?!! (WE'LL SEE IF THE BIKE OUTLIVES ME,or vice versa)\TONIGHT WAS PERFECT RIDING WEATHER-OL DOG SCREAMED LIKE A DOG IN HEAT,(75-85 MPH)-LOL:) SO,I GET OFF THE HIGHWAY(10 MILE RIDE),MY LOCAL Chevron station is about1 1/2 miles from there-I'm goin down my local street thats roughly a mile long;I slow down for a car turning in front of me,then after accelerating back to 35-40 miles an hour,I Start hearing this CREAKING/SQUEAKING SOUND'S-Intermitment mind you!!?!! I pull over just to make sure its NOT the pick up truck in front of me, the bike squeaks a little More,Then goes AWAY-(WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!) THIS DARN KAW IS TRYING TO GIVE ME AN ULCER!!!! SO I go home ,park the bike,let it COOL DOWN FOR 10-15 MINS.-So I figure,IF I'm Spinning a Crank Bearing(or ANY engine Bearing's for that Matter!) I'm gonna test ride the bike;AGAIN,ON THE HIGHWAY,THEN TAKE IT FOR ANOTHER 1-2 City Miles on the local streets-Just to see if I CAN get it to Repeat the sound(s)-NO LUCK,OF COURSE-AGAIN,WTF!!!!!!!! I EVEN TRYED Running it up to 100 MPH on the highway-Nothin different?!? AGAIN,WTF- ALL I CAN SAY IS,I GOT AN APPOINTMENT FOR THIS COMING WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR AN AIR CLEANER CLEANING/SUPPOSEDLY THIS NEW SHOP I'M TRYING OUT HAS A MECHANIC W/30+YRS. UNDER HIS BELT-I'M INTERESTED TOO SEE WHAT HIS OPINION OF MY BIKE/ MOTOR IS?.......I'm Really Not Looking for Any Trouble(S)/Problems-I'm just a Dumb ol Illinois Farm Boy tryin to Keep my bike in*1* Peice!!?!! AM I MAKIN ANY SENSE? OR AM I JUST Losin My Mind? ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE,I GUESS.....THANX FOR YOU BEARSLAYER,&ALL THE FORUM COMMUNITY MEMBERS* FOR LISTENING TO ME:) I trully LOVE THIS BIKE-Even though I'd LOVE to have a LARGER Belt Driven Ride(like a Vulcan900) but for the 3yrs./30,600+Miles it sure is FUN to ride-EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A 650:) @THE END of the Day-Bearslayer,You're Totollay/Absolutely Right-I just need to ride the Tires off this bike:) On Another Note,ONE THING I *DID ABOUT THIS BIKE-EVER SINCE FROM THE BEGINNING-I NOTICED THAT IN THE HOT WEATHER THE REAR BRAKE CALIPER TENDS TO STICK*&*SQUEAK-&*YES THE REAR CALIPER *HAS BEEN REPLACED!?! GO FIGURE-'RIDE YOUR KAW 'S TIL YOU DROP:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2 Notes for any1 thats gonna ride there 650 V S as much as I do-The rear brake Calipers on these bikes SUCK!!!/I'VE ALSO HAD TO REPLACE MINE-ALONG W/THE FRONT ROTOR(About a year ago) Other than that,A Pretty Durable Ride OVERALL:) I UNDERSTAND THAT KAWASAKI HAS A FACTORY IN CHICAGO-ANY1 THAT KNOWS THERE ADDRESS I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW IT:) THANKS AGAIN:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts