Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked into a 1995 Vulcan 88 last fall. Fluids changed, air in the tires, replaced the pipes with OEM and I've been on the road having a blast. Started seeing oil drips by the kickstand. I've seen a few posts mentioning the clutch push rod. When I took the engine cover off it looked the oil was weeping along the seam on top of the inner alternator cover. I don't have the current skill set to remove the engine myself and the local shop quoted me 1500 to 1600 bucks ballpark assuming the gasket required is cheap.

I would love any advice. The shop cost is way out of my price range and I've unfortunately already fallen in love with this bike.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
So, we talk again. First off make sure about the diagnosis of what is leaking? If you are not sure get a second opinion by a knowledgeable motorcycle technician. If the repair requires engine removal, the cost to do so probably exceeds the bike’s value. Probably not worth it.
So the choices are:
Sell the bike as is and purchase a new bike,
Spend the money and perform the repair.
I don’t usually recommend this choice but if this leak is minor could try some engine additive to seal up the leak. Keep in mind these additives are not intended for motorcycles. The oil passages within the engine are much smaller than those in automobiles. Due to this, it does have some risk. If you decide to go this route, buy a good additive (I have successfully used Lucas products). Drain the oil, unless it was just done, then drain a little to make room for the additive. Warm the bike to operating temperature, shut it down and add the additive. The amount you add and how much you have to drive it to seal the leak should be dictated by the products instructions. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, How did you make out?
So far I've just added oil to keep riding. My current work schedule is around 65 plus hours a week so spending my little free time riding won out. I'm still trying to find a local mechanic who might be able to help me out. No cash for a new ride right now and even if i had it, she's still new to me and i dont wanna quite on her just yet :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts