Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question as this is my first non dirt bike and I have not really ridden until a month and a half ago. I go the bike on 5/23/11 an 06 Vulcan 900 classic with 4300 miles on it. Didn't get mi license until the middle of July, and since then have put about 2300 miles on her. I bought it from a dealership and was told that it had been completely serviced prior to my picking it up ( I specifically asked about the oil change). Today on the way to work it seemed to be running a bit off a little rough and the power did not seem right. Got to work nd checked the oil ( it was low just barley in the sight glass). ran to the dealer where i work and bought a quart and filled her up to just under the upper line on the sight glass. Total it took a little over 3/4 of a quart, to mee this seems to be a lot. Or am I off and just have to monitor the level a little better.

·
Banned
334 Posts
The dealer lied to you. He didn't change or even check the oil before he sold you the bike. The only thing he did was hose the bike down with a high pressure sprayer.

Now go and change your oil so you know it's done properly. :)

Joe

·
Registered
451 Posts
+1. Change oil so you KNOW it's done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing that tommorow... Just wanted to see what kind of useage I should expect. It was full in the sight glass when I got it that I do know

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Doing that tommorow... Just wanted to see what kind of useage I should expect. It was full in the sight glass when I got it that I do know
Don't be too alarmed. The level of the bike, or should I say a slight tilt in either direction, makes a tremendous difference in the level shown in the sight glass. Having said that, you did put 2300 miles on since you bought it and it's expected that you would use some oil. Three quarters of a liter would be excessive. As suggested, change it yourself and monitor the level as you ride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with others re: changing and monitoring.

You shouldn't expect oil usage at all...but you should definitely monitor. My '07 has 40k+ miles with no oil usage between changes (every 3k).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Change the oil and filter!
The oil level should be somewhere between the 2 lines on the sight glass when the bike is upright and level. Too low or too full and you will have issues. I try to get mine 2mm lower than the top line.

You should not be burning off ANY oil unless there is a significant problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the oil is going somewhere as the level was just below the upper fill line when I got it. It was just above the lower fill line when i checked and added to it. Got tied up with other things and didn't get to the oil change yet but will shortly, and will just monitor and see. Maybe it will be a good thin I paid for the extended warranty ( but I hope I don't need it)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with those who say you shouldn't be seeing any oil usage. When I last changed my oil at 15,000 mi (6000 mi between changes), there appeared to be no usage that could be detected.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I've got 23k miles on my '07Custom and I never need to add oil between changes. If you're checking the level correctly and you're "using" that much oil, you're either losing it or burning it. The engine shouldn't be "using" any oil at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DW, check your air filter box, the oil may be blowing into the air box through the crank case vent tube that's attached to the back of the air box. Crank case pressure needs to be vented from the engine to prevent expansion to engine seals and gaskets etc. Thanks to the E.P.A. we cannot legally vent engine blow by into the atmosphere so manufactures vent the crank case pressure into the air box to be re burned by pulling the fumes into the engine through the throttle body. High speed riding will cause more oil to collect in the air box explaining where the oil is going.

·
Registered
382 Posts
see my signature regarding keeping oil from getting up in the air filter... no breather needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts