Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read about this strainer on the 900's and wanted to see what the deal was while I was doing my first oil change on my new '06. To just share, the bolt plug is just behind the kickstand. I used a 17mm open end and as tight of space as it seems, the bolt will come out. Next a spring, washer then waaay back there is the strainer. Stick your finger in and pull it out. It's a couple inches long so you'll have to "bend" it to get it out. Be careful. I had maybe just a couple little pieces of shrapnel on the strainer, nothing to be concerned about. Now to put it back....it gets caught up at back end so I used a wooden coffee stir stick to help "bend" the end to get it in. Washer, spring then plug. I can see why peeps check this every 3rd or 5th oil change. I wouldn't be comfortable having to bend the strainer over and over again. Note, after I had drained the oil from the usual drain plug, not even a teaspoon came from the strainer plug. So I would recommend just draining from the latter. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I felt the same way. I didn't like having to bend the screen either. This is the only thing I've found so far that I feel is poorly designed. Well, there is the seat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok. Strainer issue now.

For the experts, my question is:

Is the strainer something we have to check when we service our bikes?

I'd rather think it is there for the lifetime of the bike, what we should worry about is replacing the oil filter every oil change !?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am no expert but like knowing how things tick. Because it IS an accessible part that can be done a half knowledgeable mechanic and no special tools. I personally wouldn't fret. I have seen mine at 15,000 km and probably won't for another 15,000 km. I mean, it's not even in the service manual. Let more people like myself share their findings then use your own judgement whether to check yours out. IMO - Cheers!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I too would not worry to much. That being said I check mine every third change, there is a mention in my service manual.
It is a good way to "see any chunks" that would indicate any excessive wear. I also back drain my oil filter after a change to have a look

·
Registered
341 Posts
@Frenchy
this is the 'prefilter' if you wish... right before the oil pump. if it gets clogged the oil light will come on -says the repair manual. it is supposed to be inspected.
Torque: 20 N.m

if the engine is new or newly rebuilt, that screen will catch shrapnel, gasket loose ends, silicon from the seals... etc.

*when the engine was new, I found all kinds of stuff all around the screen. lately, it's pretty clean.. I once found - rather recently, something resembling oil filter fibers.
it catches the 'dirt' on the outside. no big deal if it's not perfectly straight... and besides, once you clean it you realize it's not that complicated. it doesn't feel like a design problem as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts