Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to check the oil color and level, looking at the sight glass. I couldn't make it out in the sun nor the shade. Not even w a flashlight. No, I don't have glaucoma or cataracts. :)Thanks for help.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
What's the best way to check the oil color and level, looking at the sight glass. I couldn't make it out in the sun nor the shade. Not even w a flashlight. No, I don't have glaucoma or cataracts. :)Thanks for help.
According to the "good book" the bike should be off the stand and upright when checking the oil level. This means a mirror and better than 20-20 vision...or you have someone help you. The oil level is suppose to be somewhere between the upper and lower hash marks that are on the side of the sight glass. If the sight glass is the same color across the face then there's either too much oil in the engine or you need to add more. The color of the oil in the sight glass should be a honey color or darker depending on how long it's been since the last oil change.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, a guy fr way out in Thailand gives me the right answer! (I'm computer savvy but still internet-amazed!) I hope you guys are ok as far as the seismic probs in Asia.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Wow, a guy fr way out in Thailand gives me the right answer! (I'm computer savvy but still internet-amazed!) I hope you guys are ok as far as the seismic probs in Asia.
Thanks for your concern. All is well here but just as in December 2004 it could happen here anytime. We are part of the Ring of Fire. Meanwhile, I keep my eyes open when I ride for any number of different animals and other rolling road blocks that frequent our roads and highways lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the Ring of Fire. Well, as they say-- the arrows that come at you from the back are worse than the ones coming from the front. They found out recently that Yellowstone Park was not just geysers-- turns out it's the biggest volcano in the world! Nice to know we're all able to enjoy what we like-- motorbikes. Happy motoring! Sorry to digress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, the Ring of Fire. Well, as they say-- the arrows that come at you from the back are worse than the ones coming from the front. They found out recently that Yellowstone Park was not just geysers-- turns out it's the biggest volcano in the world! Nice to know we're all able to enjoy what we like-- motorbikes. Happy motoring! Sorry to digress.
TMI!!! Very glad I did not know this when we visited a couple of years ago... :D

Thanks for the question, tedkawi, and thanks for the answer, sojourner. I remember looking my bike over before buying that I'd gotten down to look at the sight glass, and it looked like there was a black splotch on it... I was told this was just because it hadn't been run in a while (dealership). Guess I should look at this again tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts