Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched everywhere on the left (and right) side cases for this oil screen and cannot find it!
The manual shows it but not to be found by me.
2007 900 Classic

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think that I have found the screen.
On the left side of the crankcase in line with the drain plug about two incjes inside the frame!!
Maybe next oil change I will take it out and clean it if I can fiqure out how to get a screen that looks in the manual to be about four inches in length out of a two inch space!
What a joke this bike is. If I only new what a bitch it would be for simple oil changes (the filter is also a joke) I would have not bought the thing and I may just sell it!!
No wonder dealers charge so much labor for a simple service and do you REALLY believe that they actually clean that screen or just say they did?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
On the left side of the crankcase in line with the drain plug about two incjes inside the frame!!
Maybe next oil change I will take it out and clean it if I can fiqure out how to get a screen that looks in the manual to be about four inches in length out of a two inch space!
What a joke this bike is. If I only new what a bitch it would be for simple oil changes (the filter is also a joke) I would have not bought the thing and I may just sell it!!
No wonder dealers charge so much labor for a simple service and do you REALLY believe that they actually clean that screen or just say they did?
They don't clean the screen as it's not a required maintenance item. All vehicles have oil screens. Your car does too. When's the last time you cleaned it?

I can get the oil changed in 15 minutes on mine. It's really no big deal. Filter could be easier, I guess.

·
Registered
536 Posts
WOW...I think this is the easiest oil change I have done on a bike and I have done a lot of them. I will agree that the filter is a little out of reach unless you have the right style filter wrench.Get a K&N filter with the nut on the end to make the removal super easy and you have a 10 minute oil change. Check the BMW forums and take a look at some of their changes...made me not want to buy one...and lots of bike require removal of fairing parts just to be able to see what you are doing. Each time you do it it will get easier.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The bolt that holds the screen isn't that long. Once the bolt is out just angle the assy down to clear the frame...easy.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's always a trade off. Harley's have the oil filter right out there in the open. But A) the oil filter is right out there in the open! B) it makes a mess when you take it off and C) you have three seperate drain and fill places to deal with.

BMW's often require fairing component removal. Some sport bikes are a real bear. Even my wife's little honda requires things to be removed in order to get to the filter. There isn't a lot of room on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I will agree that the filter is a little out of reach unless you have the right style filter wrench
Get a K&N filter with the nut on the end.

Found this at advance auto for $6
Lisle End Cap Oil Filter Wrench. There was a rack of a lot of different sizes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
My bike may not be a 900, but I have no trouble cleaning the screen during oil changes. The filter is easy to get to, it would be easier if I could raise the bike about 4 feet off the ground. Also I am never in a ten minute hurry at this time, if it takes 20 or 30 minutes no biggie. Just saying.....

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
...and then there is the v-star 1100... have to remove the exhaust to change the oil...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found this at advance auto for $6
Lisle End Cap Oil Filter Wrench. There was a rack of a lot of different sizes
I bought a wrench like this that you use with a 3/8" ratchet. Works wonderful.
I guess I was just in a bad mood yesterday cause it was so hot and humid.
The only real bitch I have is taking off all the junk to get to the filter when on my VN750 you don't have to!!
Would'nt it be great if somebody would make a bolt on centerstand for these bikes??
I would be the first one in line to buy one!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought a oil screen way back when I ordered some parts from ronayers, and change it every other oil changem, that way I always have a clean one. Its very easy to change once you figure it out, It takes 5 minutes and ussually do it while I'm waiting for the oil to drain..First couple times I found some residue in the screen but since then it comes out clean...And I have done a lot of changes...55k miles and counting!! I also buy online the K&n filter... its so easy to install and take off with that nut welded on top...!!
I really enjoy working on my bike..But that's me..
Enjoy it and ride safe>>

·
Registered
87 Posts
google "oil change LC4" and you quickly learn the nightmare upon me every two months for my KTM.... and it's not as bad as some because it has a standard oil change interval whereas other thumpers are every 1,000 miles. Takes a solid hour the first time, and that's if you're doing it wrong, 2+ hours and a few gaskets if you're doing it right. Oh, and lets not forget the KTM filter for $29... and the secondary filter which is another $9.

The vulcan - what is it like 3 bolts to remove regulator, 1 bolt oil drain, spin filter off, reverse order, fill, ride all day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
google "oil change LC4" and you quickly learn the nightmare upon me every two months for my KTM.... and it's not as bad as some because it has a standard oil change interval whereas other thumpers are every 1,000 miles. Takes a solid hour the first time, and that's if you're doing it wrong, 2+ hours and a few gaskets if you're doing it right. Oh, and lets not forget the KTM filter for $29... and the secondary filter which is another $9.

The vulcan - what is it like 3 bolts to remove regulator, 1 bolt oil drain, spin filter off, reverse order, fill, ride all day.
I feel your pain...did my last 20,000 miles on supermoto bikes. My KTM powered Beta 525 RFS (see my garage) was 500 mile oil changes with 2 filters and 1,000 mile valve adjusts. You had to lay the bike on its side to take the filters out. 250 lbs. and 50 hp though so it was worth it. This 900 is like a paid vacation...seems like I never work on it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Once you do it a few times its pretty quick. I don't mind it hidden. I've done the screen cleaning many times. It's always pretty clean.

The original filter was on pretty tight! If you get a filter wrench like the one posted its pretty good. I suggest getting the metal one and not the "plastic" one. The plastic one's slip and also crack.

·
Registered
59 Posts
honest, just outta curiosity compared to what bike is the vulcan oil so difficult to change? I'd say its one of the easier bikes to change.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oil filters were easier to change on my Cavalcade, Shadow and Virago. Didn't have to remove anything to get to the filter. No filter on the four bikes before those.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I asked about this the other day at my Kawsaki dealer for the 900. They said they hadn't sold one in about 3 years, if that's any indication.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I asked about this the other day at my Kawsaki dealer for the 900. They said they hadn't sold one in about 3 years, if that's any indication.
It looks like it's just a rubber O-ring for the most part, at least on my BUBF. As long as it's not torn, cut or broken and doesn't leak, should be fine to reuse again and again.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
A gazillion years ago I worked on IBM copiers, because of a few big problems they had with earlier models they changed the way they engineered them.
Which has everything to do with motorcycles and anything that requires repair and maintenance.

One of the paper feed rollers in a copier I was working on, that had a spring clutch inside the roller, was so difficult to get too, it took me (no kidding) 2 1/2 days to change 1 feed roller, that if it had good access would be a 5 minute job. The whole job had to be done by feel, there was no way around it. The most maddening is when I think I got it the whole assembly sprung apart which I then, cursing like a sailor, had to crawl inside of the copier looking for the parts.

IBM did something pretty amazing after similar screw ups, they brought in field techs to their design facilities to help engineer their products so us service people could do our jobs. Engineers would do a bang up job designing stuff, but they did a piss poor job when it came to service, which was a huge part of IBM's revenue.

In the next generation of copiers that job took 1/2 an hour, a few generations later, it was 3 screws, two connectors and the whole paper feed assembly was swapped out in less than 5 minutes.

Taking off the pipes on a motorcycle just to do an oil change is silly. Or my old 1999 Yamaha V Star Classic 650, adjusting the valves was not a job I enjoyed because getting everything off was kind of like working a Chinese puzzle box. Or, I think it was the Chevy Monza, or some similar name, that offered a big block V8 engine that the engine had to be moved forward to change the last 2 spark-plugs. Most people drilled a hole through their firewall to get at them, illegal, but hey, who's watching?

One of the things I hate about cars is most of us can't service them anymore. Just popping the hood and you're lucky if you can see the engine under all the hoses and stuff. Besides, I enjoy wrenching a well made motorcycle, but a car? I'd rather fix it with a pound of C-4.

Trapster :beer:
There is nothing nicer then a cold one after a long ride.
That is, after you put your scooter to bed.
Please don't drink and ride.
25% of all motorcycle fatalities are due to drinking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts