Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i changed my oil to a synthetic brand , during my change i decided to take out the oil screen to clean it with a high flash solvent. after i was finished cleaning it i had to bend the screen slightly for it to fit back in the bike. just wondering if it will be ok with a bent screen. i took it on a ride after i was done and it seemed fine, thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
I must have missed this thread before, but how do you access the oil screen and when do you need to clean it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
today i changed my oil to a synthetic brand , during my change i decided to take out the oil screen to clean it with a high flash solvent. after i was finished cleaning it i had to bend the screen slightly for it to fit back in the bike. just wondering if it will be ok with a bent screen. i took it on a ride after i was done and it seemed fine, thanks
Yeah, had to bend mine too! By the way mine was clean! Anybody found anything out of the ordinary in their's.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You'll be fine. I took mine out at 8000 mile oil change and to my surpise it was as cleas as new so I won't mess with it til like maybe 15k tune up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I must have missed this thread before, but how do you access the oil screen and when do you need to clean it?
The screen is below the left cover by the kickstand. I forget the size but you'll see a hex head about 17mm. The frame gets in the way. I don't recall what the manual says for periodicity. I did mine at 600 miles and 7000 miles (only got 7700 miles on it). The screen is a large shape about 1" diameter and 4 inches long.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Same here. Checked it at 6000 mi., looked clean, had to bend it to get it back in, will probably leave it alone for a while. For all the many good things about the 900, ease of oil & filter changing is not among them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for the replies. i wouldn't think a bent screen would make a diff since it still provides its purpose. oh, someone asked about the manual and when it says to clean it but it doesn't have a specific time for u 2 do this

·
Registered
25 Posts
Intuitive

There are some threads on the screen. It is located on the port side, behind the exhaust pipe. You will see a plug (I think 17mm?). Be careful not to strip the threads when you put the screen back in. Be careful of the gasket or you will be making a trip to the dealer.

The procedure is pretty intuitive. Remove the plug and the screen, retainer and spring will come out. Clean them, then I poured about 1/4 qt of oil in the case and let it drain through the screen opening, it took a bit of soot out. I blew off the screen and re-installed it. Have fun, but do find the thread that give the url with the printed instructions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My screen had some silicone sealant trapped in it at 600 miles but was clean the next check. I took pictures since it was under warranty and nobody touches my stuff once it's home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At my first 600 mile oil change, noticed my oil screen wasn't together ! Had to sodier it myself,got it out with a pencil magnet. Love the 900 custom 09,better than my 87 750 Vulcan i had for over 20 years. This bike was made for my driving style.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I serious doubt after the first check that it will need checking again. Rarely is anything found and the screen surface area is huge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts