Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen on here that some people remove the oil screen(s) when changing the oil. when i look at this, it seems that you have to remove the cooling pipe in order to get to the left side screen. the screen on the right looks accessible. my question is has anyone removed their left side screen without draining the coolant and removing the cooling pipe?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ive also noticed what looks like oil accumulation around the oil plugs. i never have any oil on the ground, or noticeable leaks. I'm wondering if getting new washers will help this if that is indeed where the oil is coming from

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Service manual says to replace oil drain plug seals when you change the oil. I can see where you may need to replace them after a couple oil changes, but I think you can get permanent seals for any drain plug at NAPA, (not mine of course... it sucks) or any other automotive place, or even replacing the drain plugs themselves. I will look for replacement drain plugs before my next oil change.

From what I have read in all the forums I can find. the oil screen is one of those things the user needs not to know it even exists. It is for collecting boulder size shrapnel. I do not know why it is even mentioned in some of the spec ads.... and nether can a lot of other people.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ive also noticed what looks like oil accumulation around the oil plugs. i never have any oil on the ground, or noticeable leaks. I'm wondering if getting new washers will help this if that is indeed where the oil is coming from
I have never done the screens for the reason you gave. Not gonna drain coolent until it's time to change it.
The seepage around the plugs I believe is when you change the oil and screw the plug back in. No matter how long I let it drain or wipe it before putting the plug back in, there is always a drop of oil that drips out. I just make sure after screwing the plug back in I wipe it as good as I can. I have changed oil 4 times so far and there is a little residue left. My old 1500 namad had 60,000 and never changed the washer. Never leaked either.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never done the screens for the reason you gave. Not gonna drain coolent until it's time to change it.
The seepage around the plugs I believe is when you change the oil and screw the plug back in. No matter how long I let it drain or wipe it before putting the plug back in, there is always a drop of oil that drips out. I just make sure after screwing the plug back in I wipe it as good as I can. I have changed oil 4 times so far and there is a little residue left. My old 1500 namad had 60,000 and never changed the washer. Never leaked either.
so your saying you have what looks like oil accumulated around the plugs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sometimes I think I leave a little oil residue arround the drain plugs. Once my drain plugs are touqued to spec, I spray a little disc-brake cleaner on them and wipe dry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've seen on here that some people remove the oil screen(s) when changing the oil. when i look at this, it seems that you have to remove the cooling pipe in order to get to the left side screen. the screen on the right looks accessible. my question is has anyone removed their left side screen without draining the coolant and removing the cooling pipe?
I thought that the 2010 had a shorter coolant pipe than the 2009?

·
Registered
64 Posts
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE OIL SCREEN MAINTENANCE!! I went thur this with ma-kaw when my 09 was new...I called cust support and had a confrence call with them and my dealer and the end result was the only need to be checked IF YOU HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE/TRANS DAMAGE....otherwise forget about them

·
Registered
274 Posts
Service manual says to replace oil drain plug seals when you change the oil. I can see where you may need to replace them after a couple oil changes, but I think you can get permanent seals for any drain plug at NAPA, (not mine of course... it sucks) or any other automotive place, or even replacing the drain plugs themselves. I will look for replacement drain plugs before my next oil change.

From what I have read in all the forums I can find. the oil screen is one of those things the user needs not to know it even exists. It is for collecting boulder size shrapnel. I do not know why it is even mentioned in some of the spec ads.... and nether can a lot of other people.
Weird? My 2010 VV just has to plugs no washers! doesnt leak,dry as a bone 21.000mls on em:p

·
Registered
394 Posts
Weird? My 2010 VV just has to plugs no washers! doesnt leak,dry as a bone 21.000mls on em:p
No washers and no leaks on my 2009 VN1700, either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts