Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom. I have looked in my manual, the gadgets page & asked the Kawasaki mechanics about the oil screens proper installation. The manual & gadgets page does not really show which end to insert first, the open end or the closed end of the screen. I have been putting it back in the same way it was since I bought it NEW. Inserting the closed end first.
Looking at the gadgets page, it appears to me that the open end of the screen enters first. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Thanks in advance for any information on this.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I ride a 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom. I have looked in my manual, the gadgets page & asked the Kawasaki mechanics about the oil screens proper installation. The manual & gadgets page does not really show which end to insert first, the open end or the closed end of the screen. I have been putting it back in the same way it was since I bought it NEW. Inserting the closed end first.
Looking at the gadgets page, it appears to me that the open end of the screen enters first. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Thanks in advance for any information on this.
The open end should face the cap, as the oil enters the screen from the outside and flows toward the threaded cap where it is then picked up by the oil pump and sent through the engine. I believe that if you put the closed end of the screen toward the cap, you would get enough oil bypassing the screen to keep your engine alive, but it's not the right way to do it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you pacomutt for the quick response! Its really hard to tell from the manual or the gadgets page which end is inserted first. I will continue to insert the closed end first. Thanks again pacomutt!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where does the screen go? I haven't been able to figure out where it is.
It is located on the left side just below the oil sight glass in front of the kickstand mount hidden by the frame,It takes a 17mm to remove it,the screen is long and when you pull it out it looks like it will not clear the frame but it will.If you remove it for inspection just make sure it goes back in the correct way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
on the 2010 voyager, the open end faces towards the engine, and the closed end faces the cap. but on your 900, your right. i have a manual and it shows that the open end faces the cap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts