Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my oil change lastnight and decided to remove that little screen to see what everyones been talking about,well i pulled mine out(the screen)and it is a close fit but came out rather easy,anyway after inspecting it i did find some small debris particals 3 of the pieces were soft and looked like rubber flashing while the other piece not quit sure what it is but it was just big enough not to fit thru the screen but it was hard enough that my pliers would't smash it,maybe solder from the screen,anyway i will start checking this every other oil change.switching over to 20-50.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If this is your first oil change it is not uncommon to get little bits in the screen and the filter. However, since the first time I have not had that issue. Best thing is to keep a watch out to see if there is more. Really, most of it will be caught by the filter since it has the finer element. And stuff trapped in the filter you usually don't see unless you tear it apart after removing it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I uh...actually didn't even know this motor had an oil screen until recently. I didn't check it when I changed the oil at 600 miles. Gonna do a service this week, so I suppose I can check it then. My old 700 had one, and it use to pick up bits of clutch that that old beater use to slough off.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I uh...actually didn't even know this motor had an oil screen until recently. I didn't check it when I changed the oil at 600 miles. Gonna do a service this week, so I suppose I can check it then. My old 700 had one, and it use to pick up bits of clutch that that old beater use to slough off.
A lot of dealership mechanic apparently don't know about it either.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yep, wet clutches do wear out and the pieces have to go somewhere. Usually to the bottom of the pan. The idea of a screen in front of the oil pump is to insure any big pieces don't find their way into the pump. As mentioned, the paper element oil filter will catch everything else downstream of the pump.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had mine off also on the first oil change found some crap in there nothing to worry about ......checked it now every time i change the oil an it is clean as a whistle

·
Registered
217 Posts
You all probably know an automobile engine also has an oil pump pickup screen. I work on cars for a living and this screen is never checked unless there is either sludge issue and or oil light illumination. I looked it up in VN900 service manual and below is all it says. There is no maintenance schedule for removing it.

•Check the screen carefully for any damage.
If the screen is damaged, replace it with a new one. •Replace the O-ring with a new one. •Install:
Oil Screen and Rubber Gasket [C]
Washer [D]
Spring [E] •Apply grease to the O-ring, and tighten the plug.
Torque - Oil Screen Plug: 20 N·m (2.0 kgf·m, 15 ft·lb)

Copied and pasted for you all to read.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I checked mine at 10k and as clean as new.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You all probably know an automobile engine also has an oil pump pickup screen. I work on cars for a living and this screen is never checked unless there is either sludge issue and or oil light illumination. I looked it up in VN900 service manual and below is all it says. There is no maintenance schedule for removing it.

•Check the screen carefully for any damage.
If the screen is damaged, replace it with a new one. •Replace the O-ring with a new one. •Install:
Oil Screen and Rubber Gasket [C]
Washer [D]
Spring [E] •Apply grease to the O-ring, and tighten the plug.
Torque - Oil Screen Plug: 20 N·m (2.0 kgf·m, 15 ft·lb)

Copied and pasted for you all to read.

No, I didn't know that cars had screens. Is it usually easy to remove like the ones on our bikes? Or is it hidden inside the oil pan or something like that?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The screen in a car's engine is attached permanently to the bottom of the pickup on the end up of the oil pump's sump tube. To check one, you'd have to remove the oil pan (which is anywhere from dropping a dozen bolts on some lateral-mount domestic motors, to pulling the motor and unbuckling the transaxle on most transverse motors). Like mdsimon said, you don't have to check them unless you're troubleshooting an oil-flow issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts