Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approached a very familiar (read, daily commute) country road intersection that requires a stop and a right turn for me for my direction of travel. Conditions were perfect...plenty of light and dry road. Intersection has excellent visibility from my approach. No vehicles ahead of me and no traffic approaching. I did a rolling stop and as I powered through the right turn...BAM...the tail end of the bike slid out from under me. The right peg mount dragged...I subsequently saw the marks on the pavement. I over corrected but managed to stay on the bike, straddling it as it came to rest on the right peg mount. I'm guessing top speed during all of this was < 10 mph.

After uprighting and rolling the bike to the side of the road, I looked for the cause and saw a nice trail of relatively fresh oil that made the same right turn.

Damage report: Really, nothing substantial. Since the bike came to rest on the right peg mount, it did not lay all the way down. I see a couple of scratches on the bottom of the right bag but nothing more than surface scratches that are pretty well hidden. My Mustang drivers backrest was bent...not the support mount but the backrest itself...and I bent it back in place easily. Plus the right mirror was mis-aligned...easy fix...it must have knocked into my right arm during the commotion. The only odd thing was the oil light remained on after I fired the bike up. I didn't notice it until I had gotten underway so I stopped and checked oil level and looked for signs of oil leak. I saw none and the level looked normal so I started back up and got underway. Within a mile, the oil light went off. Bike handled and ran normally from there.

Injury report: Strained right hamstring and a little left hip pain from an already arthritic hip...nothing unusual but I'm sure both are a result of wrestling with the bike during the moment. Oh, and a slightly bruised ego...I should have been looking for oil though this was darn hard to see.

Leave it to say, looking for oil on the road is a higher priority now...and if you read this, slide it up your priority list as well.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I'm glad that you and the bike are okay. I always am careful to watch for liquids and loose debris in the corners, and never use the front brake while turning. But, I'm sure my turn is coming, again! The first time it happened at very low speed in a very steep twisty curve, lost my balance and ended up on my right side in the ditch. No damage, no injuries. Just lost my confidence for a day, but got it back the next day and haven't looked back since. Someday I'll go back to that steep twisty curve and conquer it!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Glad you're (mostly) ok. And thanks for the tip; it's always good to be reminded of these things once in a while...

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad you are Ok. Good reminder to all...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words, Kaw-poke, ed and truckie. I keep repeating that I want to ride in such a way that my error wouldn't be the cause of an incident...and I have no one else to blame for this one. Yeah, the leaky cage(s) certainly contributed but that is just reality and it's up to us to be watchful at all times.

·
Registered
166 Posts
glad to hear you're ok !!
Oil on roads is not the best idea .... My son came off his Honda CB400 on an Oil / diesel spill in a roundabout - AUD 2,500.00 damage bill !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a new rider, I love to read posts like this. Kinda the best you can have, a good lesson to learn, and no serious injuries to man or machine. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, big thanks again to all well-wishers. Today, the hamstring is back to normal but the hip is complaining more than usual (it's hell being 38 for 20 years... :) ). Hopefully time will be good for it. AFA the bike, upon further inspection I found some scrapes on the bottom of the lower pipe (stock) but nothing that is really visible especially with the bags. Otherwise, operation was normal.

As I negotiated that intersection on the way home and looked again, it appeared that a subtle leak path trailed for about 50 yards entering and then following the right turn path through the intersection in the right track of the lane...a perfect storm for loss of friction. Possibly, if I had stopped instead of rolled through the sign, my normal accelleration out of the turn would not have been as pronounced and could have prevented the spill. Maybe a good lesson for coming to at least a crawling stop as opposed to the rolling stop I employed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts