Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their oil light come on while riding in a torrential downpour? Last night while riding home in the rain for 100 miles my oil light came on. The bike was running fine. I am thinking that the water made the light come on has anyone experienced this? Later the light was off after it dried out.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Has anyone had their oil light come on while riding in a torrential downpour? Last night while riding home in the rain for 100 miles my oil light came on. The bike was running fine. I am thinking that the water made the light come on has anyone experienced this? Later the light was off after it dried out.
Sounds like the wiring for the sensor found a shortcut to frame ground. Time to buy a few tubes of diaelectric grease and go over all your electrical connections. Open your connectors, spray with contact cleaner then apply the grease. This includes battery connections, frame ground of both battery and component frame ground lugs as well as all wire connectors.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The oil sensor is on the lower front of the bike right where spray would hit it. Really a pain to get to with the voltage regulator on. The electrical connection is covered with a little rubber cap that is also a pain to get back on. Under it should have a coating of grease but if it was ever looked at the grease is probably missing and the cap not quite on good. Get it out, open, cleaned, lubed (all as said in previous post) and back together correct and you should be able to run it through a pond without problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Similar problem, had the FI light come on once after washing. It stayed on about half an hour and went out when things dried out. Just try to be careful now and not direct water around the speedo housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts