Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I hit a patch of ice and dropped my 900 on the right side at slow speed. When I got it back up and started, the oil light was on. Rode about 3 miles and it died and would not restart. My buddy said it sounds like the battery is shot, so I replaced the battery. Now it starts fine, but the oil light is still on. Oil level looks good. I don't trust putting it on the road until I know it is fine. Any one have any suggestions on what would be causing the oil light?

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If the engine was running when it went over the oil pump has lost its prime. Try 'burping' the oil filter to reprime the oil pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Loosen it just enough so the gasket isn't making contact..then start the engine..be prepared to immediately shut it off as it can make a giant mess fast.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Thanks...I had never heard of burping an oil filter....but I will store it in my sponge of a brain for future use. :)

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
23 Posts
Thanks...I had never heard of burping an oil filter....but I will store it in my sponge of a brain for future use. :)
Try and rig up something where the oil shooting out all goes down..split an old can and have the slit pointing down for horizontal applications..on vertical applications..no slit..just a can with no top or bottom.
Some people run into trouble just changing the oil..they can't get the to pump suck up the oil .

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts