Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I gave my bike a bath finally. The bugs on the windshield were getting too thick. So I took her to the DIY carwash. I used the high pressure at close range to clean off the bugs on the shield and engine guards. Then with care and distance I hosed the rest down, spray waxed and spot-free rinse. After I left I noticed the oil light come on. But it went off after about 2 miles. Oil level is good and I was careful not to direct spray the wires and stuff.

Any ideas why the light came on?

Could it be that when I was spraying, it may have chilled the oil down so it was slugging a little bit and took time to build pressure properly?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
So today I gave my bike a bath finally. The bugs on the windshield were getting too thick. So I took her to the DIY carwash. I used the high pressure at close range to clean off the bugs on the shield and engine guards. Then with care and distance I hosed the rest down, spray waxed and spot-free rinse. After I left I noticed the oil light come on. But it went off after about 2 miles. Oil level is good and I was careful not to direct spray the wires and stuff.

Any ideas why the light came on?

Could it be that when I was spraying, it may have chilled the oil down so it was slugging a little bit and took time to build pressure properly?
Not uncommon. The oil pressure switch closes to frame ground when there is no, or low, oil pressure. You have water inside the connector to the switch and the warning light circuit took a short cut to frame ground. Once it dried the problem went away. Best to unplug the cover, spray with WD40, coat with dielectric grease and cover. The switch is located next to the oil filter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts