Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started after I put the new pipes on. I wondering if having the baffles removed is causing a lean condition. But not sure exactly why this would effect the oil PSI.

After about 30 miles at speeds of 80-110 mph. I pulled over and noticed my oil light was flickering at idle. It has done this two days in a row after having installed new pipes. Now when I take the highway instead of the interstate I don't have this problem. Gonna be ordering the Fi2000r in a few days. But for now I'm gonna reinstall the baffles and see it that fixes it. Anyone have this problem after only installing pipes?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have you checked your oil level? How many miles since your last change?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
What ever it is, it isn't the pipes themselves unless as others have said it changed the idle speed a fair bit, or maybe the sensor got buggered up during install, or maybe heat from different pipes messing with the sensor? Don't know if the latter two are even possible but thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
r you using a recommended oil weight?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, fixed the problem for now. I reinstalled the baffles. Took it for a spin. No problems. I ordered a Fi2000r, so I'm gonna tune it and then remove the baffles again. Still not sure what happened in the first place though.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
This just started after I put the new pipes on. I wondering if having the baffles removed is causing a lean condition. But not sure exactly why this would effect the oil PSI.

After about 30 miles at speeds of 80-110 mph. I pulled over and noticed my oil light was flickering at idle. It has done this two days in a row after having installed new pipes. Now when I take the highway instead of the interstate I don't have this problem. Gonna be ordering the Fi2000r in a few days. But for now I'm gonna reinstall the baffles and see it that fixes it. Anyone have this problem after only installing pipes?
You put new pipes on. Do you mean after market pipes? I can't tell where you're from but did your stock pipes have O2 sensors mounted in them? I don't mean to insult your intelligence but are you sure it was the oil light coming on or the FI light sending an error code?

·
Registered
23 Posts

The new pipes have less backpresssure than stock (especially without baffles) that probably reduced the idle speed, just adjust the idle speed to I think it is 1000 RPM and the oil light will stay off.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Glad you were able to figure the problem out. Let us know how the new pipes and Cobra fuel system update make the bike run. Maybe a fuel system update may be needed to keep the fuel mixture from getting to lean, and causing this issue. After you get it all working let us know what brand pipes you have and what you needed to do. Check out video below.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help.

Reving it up did cause the light to go out, however when I raised the idle speed to compensate it didn't go out until the idle was about 1600 or so (judging by ear).

The only thing I can figure is that the lean condition was causing excessive heat, (did notice the cooling fan was kicking on more frequent) and that it was thinning out the oil enough to cause a psi fluctuation. That's my only theory anyway.

Either way, my new toy should be in the mail Wednesday, and out comes the baffles. I miss the cackle.! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the help.

Reving it up did cause the light to go out, however when I raised the idle speed to compensate it didn't go out until the idle was about 1600 or so (judging by ear).

The only thing I can figure is that the lean condition was causing excessive heat, (did notice the cooling fan was kicking on more frequent) and that it was thinning out the oil enough to cause a psi fluctuation. That's my only theory anyway.

Either way, my new toy should be in the mail Wednesday, and out comes the baffles. I miss the cackle.! ;)
DaSiver, keep a watchful eye...there's something amiss here and it could be as simple as a loose or frayed wire going to frame ground.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DaSiver, keep a watchful eye...there's something amiss here and it could be as simple as a loose or frayed wire going to frame ground.
Thanks, but I've checked and double checked off the the connections. My first thought was that it could have been something as simple as water in a connector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts