Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Vulcan,Nomad with the 1500 carb motor. The oil light came on and I shut the engine off within a few seconds. I have already changed out the POG about 4,000 miles back. Had no issues and everything seemed good. I have not taken anything apart yet. Was considering all options. I know the bike ain't worth very much without a good motor. Considering I have time on my side, I have looked at used motors but know I would have to check to see if the POG had been replaced, or rebuild my motor. I'm thinking of at least checking to see if the replacement gear somehow came off. But worse case if the oil pump needs changed (how often do these fail) how big of job, new or used oil pump, is there anything else that I should do once the engine is appart. I love my bike and would just like to get it back on the road but I don't want to be stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Oil Pump failure is extremely rare. Most likely you have a failure in your JOG replacement. You do have a few choices at this point.
The simplest and least expensive would be to pull the clutch cover, inspect, and replace the JOG if it failed. The next would be to remove the engine, tear it down and install a steel oil pump drive gear. Your 3rd option would be to obtain a later model (2000 up)
used engine and install it. Keep in mind if you get a fuel injected engine, the heads have to be replaced with carb heads. (I do not recommend drilling to adapt for carb).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Think i'll do as you say in regards to checking the JOG and see whats going on. In regards to doing a FI replacement engine, would my old heads fit on anything newer?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Thanks. Think i'll do as you say in regards to checking the JOG and see whats going on. In regards to doing a FI replacement engine, would my old heads fit on anything newer?
Yes, your heads are a direct swap. All that is required are some new gaskets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I spoke with Bob Oglesby tonight, and also pulled the clutch out to expose the JOG gear. I think there was some slop in the bearing where the shaft goes thru into the oil pump. That cause some wobble in the gear and cause damage to the teeth on the gear. I also sent him photos of the gear and how much play there is in the shaft. So as it looks, need another gear, a bearing and hopefully that will take care of it. And of coarse an oil change. The oil pump feels solid and turn freely. So maybe I will get the bike back on the road for around $300.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts