Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I were on a ride tonight and got caught in a wicked rainstorm, anyways, I looked down and my oil light was on. It was dim, but on. After we drove out of the rain it went off. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Didn't have the rain event. However, coming to a stop in a parking lot I missed my footing and the bike killed over on it's right. I managed to get it back up before it hit the ground. After that my oil light was on. Investigating ,I found that the oil level was good, no leaks, etc... I figured I'd let the bike settle for a while on it's kick stand while I grabbed some grub at Timmies. After 15 - 20 minutes, I fired the bike back up and the oil light was gone.

As far as I can figure, there is an oil pressure switch on the left hand side of the engine near the oil filter. The oil must of lost pressure when it tilted to its right side. Letting it sit on the kickstand (leans to the left), the oil settle back again and all was well. You may want to check this switch.

Cheers,

Denis

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dennis, I went out and checked what I think is the oil switch/sensor. Seems like the wire is exposed going into it, it might have gotten water into the switch. As to your oil question, keep an eye on the oil and lubrication thread. I currently have just changed to Amsoil. I'll post my observations shortly. I hope the change to Amsoil had nothing to do with the oil light coming on.....I also used a hiflow filter, I know nothing about these (other then they come highly recommended).

·
Registered
976 Posts
Your oil choice/filter choice didn't cause your problem. Clean and firmly attach your wire to the oil sensor, put di-electric grease on it and put the boot over it. Mine came on last week after I washed the bike but I had pulled the wire loose and had to fix it in the parking lot of the trailer park down the road a bit. Phillips screw on the top, loosen, slide the connector in, tighten and then get that boot back over it. Oil light off.

when you tip over to the right the light will come on. Don't worry, it will go off in a couple miles. If you tip over to the left there's no light but to the right it comes on. The sensor is on the lower, front left of the motor. Going over to the right puts it up to the highest part of the bike and gets an air bubble in it. Just ride it and it will go away.

Now, if you're going down the road normal and the light comes on, pull over to the side, verify your wire isn't off and if it isn't get the bike to the shop.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Silenthill // MrClean
Yup!! Same thing!! Got caught in a thunder storm with rain drops as big as marbles!! On comes the light, flickering really dimly, and then came on solid......IF I didn't have an oil pressure gauge in line I'd have been hauled over on the road until I found the problem.....As prescribed...yank the boot off and give it a "liberal" dab of dielectric grease....Problem solved....

By the way there MrClean.......that darkside rubber channels water real sweet!! Didn't feel any "wiggles" at all!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
On a side note, the plug that goes into the regulator/rectifier....next to the oil pressure sensor seems awfully susceptible to water penetration.....would it be ok to liberally coat that with grease as well?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey all,

This same thing happened to me tonight after I washed the clay off my bike from the ABATE Boogie here in Indiana. (Side note, great rally!)

I haven't dug into it very much, but where exactly is the oil pressure sensor at. I took a quick peek around the recitfier but didn't notice anything besides the rectifier. I suppose I'm just taking the easy way out and asking instead of really digging. Well, that and my sweat from all the humidity can't be good for the shine!

Thanks is advance fellas...I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It blends right in with all that is black.It's covered by a black rubber boot. If you look through the shifter side, just under the frame support bracket (as if looking at the oil filter) you'll be starring right at it.

Happy hunting..Denis

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually had to pull the rectifier casing off to get good access to the boot....remove boot, coat the connection with dielectric grease and put boot back on. I also sprayed some ignition stuff into the wires that go into the plug that goes into the rectifier. The water literally dripped outta there when I dropped the rectifier!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks all! I'll tackle it when I get home tonight. Work is always getting in the way?

Silenthill - What is the "ignition stuff" you used? Some sort of alcohol based spray to chase the water away?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your oil choice/filter choice didn't cause your problem. Clean and firmly attach your wire to the oil sensor, put di-electric grease on it and put the boot over it. Mine came on last week after I washed the bike but I had pulled the wire loose and had to fix it in the parking lot of the trailer park down the road a bit. Phillips screw on the top, loosen, slide the connector in, tighten and then get that boot back over it. Oil light off.
Same thing happened to me in a rainstorm a few days ago! I panicked for a bit but then I found this thread! Did everything listed above and bam, light gone. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts