Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick quesiton - I just did my first home oil change. I don't have a manual and perhaps I'm blind but I don't see over/under indicators on the little window. I checked the bike cold, before I stared and the window was full (in the sidestand). So my quesiton is what's the proper way to check oil level on a 2006 VN 900 classis - on the sidestand, or balanced upgright, and what should the level be in the window?

Thanks!!

·
Banned
148 Posts
Quick quesiton -

So my quesiton is what's the proper way to check oil level on a 2006 VN 900 classis
Balanced upright. Level side to side and front to back.
This requires a "mechanics mirror" or a second person to view.

If you can see the oil line in the window it's good.
ALL full or ALL empty is not good.

Might want to get an owners manual.
It has lots of good info. in it. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
There are 2 lines (one near the top, one near the bottom), those are the "high" and "low" marks. Their is a link somewhere on here to a pdf. version of the owners manual. I've used it several times.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Quick quesiton - I just did my first home oil change. I don't have a manual and perhaps I'm blind but I don't see over/under indicators on the little window. I checked the bike cold, before I stared and the window was full (in the sidestand). So my quesiton is what's the proper way to check oil level on a 2006 VN 900 classis - on the sidestand, or balanced upgright, and what should the level be in the window?

Thanks!!
Follow the previous posters directions but also start the bike and let it run a few minutes before shutting it off and checking the level. Much easier to read.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have a set of plastic automotive ramps from Walmart. I slide one in from the right side so that the lower frame hits it just past level. That way I be down on the ground and use the handle bar to lift the bike off the stand without fear of it dropping the other way. I like the idea of a mirror but I can never see anything useful in something that small.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I just kneel down and balance my crotch rocket to check it. YMMM...not responsible for accidents. :)

As Sojourner said you should run it for a couple minutes first, but be sure to then let is sit for a few minutes (on sidestand is fine) for proper drain back before checking it upright.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. i had my daughter sit on it and balance it for me, with a level...had to siphon some out. Just got back from a short test ride...runs smoother now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts