Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having nothing but trouble lately. Some of you may have seen my thread about my mis-adventures with my valve adjustment.

Well today is the first time I really drove my bike. When I stopped to park I noticed that there was oil on the left side on the alternator cover. And more was behind the rear cylinder at the base and the same for the front cylinder towards the base. Right away I am looking towards the top of the cylinders to see if it is leaking at the valve cover. But I can't see anything. I look around the breather hoses and nothing. The hoses do pop right off, those spring clamps don't seem to be doing much. Anyhow the only spot I am really noticing the start of the oil looks like at the seam in the middle of each cylinder. But I did nothing that should have affected that.

I haven't had time to really check things over yet. So I may just be freakin out about nothing. When I was waiting for my valve cover bolt to be shipped in I hadn't really tightened down the bolts. So maybe the rubber dried a little, and when I had to remove the other valve cover to find my shim that popped out I didn't re-oil the gasket, So maybe it is getting sprayed out from there and it is spraying out and then the wind is blowing it back onto the engine down lower. Cuz I noticed what looked like oil on my home made Desert Dawgs on the crash bars.
Is there a certain order that I need to tighten down the valve covers?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I took everything apart and cleaned everything up real well. It's not the valve cover gaskets, or the breather hoses. There is a little hole on the sides of the cylinders on both sides. On the front cylinder it is on the right and on the rear cylinder it is on the left. It is right at the seam that the head connects. I was able to put a 5mm allen wrench in about 2 1/2 inches. What is this little hole??? It is weeping oil. Do I have too much in?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Jace, did you place some Vaseline on the O rings on around the spark plug extender (for want of a better description)? I checked my valves around 16000 and at the time, one of the comments on the forum was that it is real easy to mess up the rubber O rings, and then it will leak there. I have also had some leakage at the same spot, so tomorrow, when I check them again, (now at 26,000) I intend to replace the O ring. I had purchased it before and had it ready, but didn't see any issues with it. But I guess there was, since mine has started leaking also... So, my guess is this is what you are seeing. If it's any consolation, the oil leak is minor and not worth (in my opinion) taking it all apart to change the rings out... But then, I ride mine like I stole it, so it doesn't have much time to sit around looking pretty.....I figure it's made to ride.... Walt E.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like the o-rings on the spark plug tubes.It has been mentioned they can get damaged when doing the valve job,do to the angle they are on. 4 new o-rings & take covers back off & when you put it back together some grease on the o-rings. Still cheaper than taking it in for the vavles .

Kawa beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Jace, I just finished my valve adjustment and found one of the O rings was masked up quite a bit from the last time I inspected the valves. So, if you pull your jug heads off, pick up a couple of the O rings from the dealer just in case you have the same issue as I had. BTW, at 26,000 I found one front jug intake valve needed a smaller shim, and both of the rear jug exhaust valves were a little tight, so I changed out three of the shims. Went from a 60 to a 55 for the front intake and 55 to a 50 shim for the rear two exhaust valves. Sounds nice and strong again..... Good luck with your oil leak.... Walt E.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that makes sense those tubes suck. I don't like that you have to use a screwdriver to pry them off. I need a plastic tool.

I don't understand why those rings would have to be relubed since they are blocking oil. I should have just pulled those tubes out completely instead of trying to fight them, then just a little oil would get into the cylinder and it would get burned off.

I wonder if those o-rings are the same as some of the plumbing o-rings at Home Depot and you could get a dozen for the price of one at the dealer? I know that was the case for a o-ring on my Ninja 250 for the oil drain plug.

I still want to know what that hole on the side of the engine is for? I wonder if I pulled the tubes and the valve covers if I would be able to see where it went.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok, so I took everything apart and cleaned everything up real well. It's not the valve cover gaskets, or the breather hoses. There is a little hole on the sides of the cylinders on both sides. On the front cylinder it is on the right and on the rear cylinder it is on the left. It is right at the seam that the head connects. I was able to put a 5mm allen wrench in about 2 1/2 inches. What is this little hole??? It is weeping oil. Do I have too much in?
Jace you could pickup a UV oil leak detection kit, if you have any doubt about where the oil leak is.
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty sure that the holes are where the leak is coming from. Want to know why there

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That is where the leaking oil is coming from. They holes are there to drain water that may get into the spark plug tubes during heavy rain or washing. Oil or water that collects in the tube would dump right into the cylinder when you pull the plugs. The drain tubes dump it "harmlessly" onto the engine case. Once you get the new O rings in, undamaged, the drip with stop. I wouldn't use plumbing 0 rings. Even if you got the right size, they're not designed to handle the heat or the oil. They would harden up and crumble on you.
The real thing is only $2 per ring. I keep a few on hand in case I need to pull a cover. My local dealer doesn't admit to stocking them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems that Kawi dealers don't stock much

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Well, I just went to the local hardware store and picked up a couple of o-rings from them as my dealer never seems to have them in stock. I'll let you know how they hold up in about 10,000 miles, which is when my next valve adjustment will be. The ones I bought from the hardware store seem to be completely the same in size and texture....so we will see how they hold up....The bottom ones on the spark tube seem to be the hardest to keep from screwing up..... I managed to mess up both the front and the rear.

·
Registered
455 Posts
leak

That is where the leaking oil is coming from. They holes are there to drain water that may get into the spark plug tubes during heavy rain or washing. Oil or water that collects in the tube would dump right into the cylinder when you pull the plugs. The drain tubes dump it "harmlessly" onto the engine case. Once you get the new O rings in, undamaged, the drip with stop. I wouldn't use plumbing 0 rings. Even if you got the right size, they're not designed to handle the heat or the oil. They would harden up and crumble on you.
The real thing is only $2 per ring. I keep a few on hand in case I need to pull a cover. My local dealer doesn't admit to stocking them.
+1

SteveJB is right on.

There's things you can save money on. Gaskets and O rings are usually not one of them. Construction and Design includes Heat and particular fluids exposure. You cannot tell by looking.

Veteran/expereinced mechanics have trouble with these O rings. "...put away wet..."

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So do I want to lube up the ring before putting it on?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bad o-rings. They can be a little tricky to seat into the bottom. I had more problems with the rear more then the front. I really lubed up the front so that might be why it went easier. I have put about 70 miles on since I changed the rings and most of it at Interstate speeds and no new drips in the garage yet. So I am pretty sure that took care of it.

I plan to just buy the o-rings right away next time, and make them be apart of the valve adjustment process.

Just another reason to do your own mech work. If I had taken it to a dealer they wouldn't have changed them as a part of the valve adjustment. And then when they were bad it would have taken them just as long as it did me to get them ordered. And they would have charged me extra for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
"If I had taken it to a dealer they wouldn't have changed them as a part of the valve adjustment."

Jace, you're right. After my local dealer checked my valves and I discovered the leak, I went back and told them about it. Their response? Live with it and we'll get it right next time.

There won't be a next time.

Quick question. Are the valve cover gaskets re-usable? Did you use any sealant on them or do you just torque them down dry?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah the valve cover gaskets are reusable. They are thick rubber, so as long as they don't get torn. I didn't use any special sealant, I just coated the head and the cover with some engine oil and dipped the gasket in oil also. I did the same with the o-rings.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
So here we are two years later and this exact thing happened to me. I did the valve check two weekends ago but just rode the bike for the first time yesterday. I'm glad I found this thread. None of the dealers in town have the o-rings so I ordered them from Bike Bandit. I figure I only need one so I got a couple of extras for good measure.

And now I wait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts