Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my Nomad a couple of weeks ago and after a ride I noticed a little trickle of oil over the side cover. I figured the o ring was getting hard and made a mental note to get a new one. But it wasn't bad and I forgot. Then yesterday I went for a long ride. I did notice it seeping again just a bit during the ride but again, nothing serious.

However, when I got home and shut it off I saw oil all over the right side of the bike, from the side covers up to the seat, forks, exhaust - what a mess. I left it to cool down and this morning I took the oil cap off to check the o ring. It is hard and starting to fray so it's obvious that's my problem. My question is, it doesn't seem to be a regular o ring. It's flat on one side. Can I replace it with a regular o ring from a parts store or does it have to be the original?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey NR
I assume you are asking about the dipstick. I have 2 dipsticks. One Cobra chrome that the PO installed. It stays in the bike all the time. (looks good but isn't worth a flip for checking oil level) The oring on it looks more round but is slightly flat on top I think just due to age.
I have another one that I use to check oil (much easier to see on the stick) . It is brand new and the oring on it is completely flat ( more like a washer).

Both seal well and no issues. So I'm guessing that it doesn't matter as long as it fits right.
Hope that helps

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, mine has a screw in cap that you need a special tool or a huge flat screwdriver to get out (I WISH it had a dipstick). I finally managed to get a hold of the dealer and they didn't have one (big surprise) but he told me it was just a regular 31 mm o ring. With mine being flat on one side it was no wonder it leaked. Found one in town and replaced it then washed the oil off with Dawn before giving the whole bike a wash with Mothers wash soap. I'll take it for a short ride later to make sure that fixed it but I'm 99% sure that was my problem.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I don't know if it is supposed to be flat or not, but o-rings can get flat on one or both sides after a while. I suspect any nitrile o-ring will do. Nitrile will withstand the temps and contact with oil.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, where this one is on a cap that threads in it probably just got worn down over the years. I'm not sure if the one I got is nitrile or not but I had to go to 4 places to find one so I'm hoping it lasts.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
It's probably nitrile. The majority of o-rings, especially black ones, are.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I was wrong. It didn't leak for the run I did the other day, but today I went on a 400km ride and noticed it starting again about halfway through it. It became worse and my riding buddy noticed it was coming from the front of the engine - specifically the crankcase vent hose. I can see it oozing around where it connects to the crankcase. The hose doesn't appear to be cracked or damaged and the clamp is still in place. It's still too hot to work on tonight so I'll take a closer look in the morning. This started shortly after my last oil change. I thought maybe I could've overfilled it, but I put in 3.3 liters as per the manual (with a filter change) and the sight glass is 3/4 to the top. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what the problem may be?

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I may have overfilled it. I checked the manual and it says 3.3 litres. After this happened I've also seen where people say it takes 3.3 quarts. A quart is smaller than a litre. Anyway, when I changed the oil I put in 3.3 litres and when I checked it it looked about right. I did another check today (before washing the oil off it - again) and I discovered that it is very sensitive. It looked like I was holding it level and the window was about 3/4 full. About right. Then I thought maybe I wasn't quite level so I nudged it slightly to the right and it filled the window. When I say nudged I mean I almost imperceptibly moved it. I figure since it was spewing out of the crankcase vent the latter reading was likely right so I drained a little oil from it. Washed it off and I'll take it for a short ride to see if it still leaks. I'll post the results.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still getting oil seeping out from around the crankcase vent hose at the front and there is some in the intake cover. My oil level is halfway between low and high in the sight glass. I let it warm up for maybe 5 or 6 minutes, then let it sit for 5 before checking. I'm at a loss. Is there anything besides overfilling it with oil that will cause it to leak like this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts