Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my classic recently, just the oil. I had changed it already and I felt the filter still had life in it but I was about to head out from Toronto to PA on a 1000 KM round trip and thought I should put fresh oil in it. Anyway, the morning I was about to head out I noticed a small bit of oil on the left side of the bike towards the kickstand. I wasn't sure if it was oil I had dropped while doing the change or if I had a leak, so I checked the drain bold and was able to give it another turn with the wrench. Now, I don't own a torque wrench, but this isn't the first oil change I have done and I normally do it be 'feel', careful not to over tighten it. Anyway trip went fine...but bike continues to leak oil. I know it's coming form the drain bolt because i propped a paper cup with some paper towels right under it and it is soaking through. I remember my last bike had a 'crusher washer' that you'd replace when doing an oil change, but my Vulcan doesn't have a washer on it - should it? Is it recommended to change the drain bold periodically - or is it just likely that I over tightened or under tightened the thing?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yes, it should have a washer. Just a basic crush washer. In fact, periodic replacement is suggested. You can get them at a hardware store or parts store. Just look for a metric sized drain bolt washer. Local parts store here sells a 'universal' pack of 50 for $3. More than you could ever need. Includes 10 or 20 of each popular size. I'm 99% sure it's M12 I just can't remember for sure and don't have the book in front of me.

Also, just an FYI. Not to start that 'flame war' or anything, but the life of an oil filter is generally the same as the life of the oil. Not sure what method or tool you were using to determine the filter was still okay, and it's your bike not mine so do what you want, but just a general "FYI", the filter is only a few bucks and should generally be replaced each time you change the oil. What you do with that information is up to you!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe it was size 12 for the washer. I think I went with the one size up because 12 seemed a bit too tight on the drain bolt for some reason.

I agree with the oil filter replacement interval, especially if you are using a synthetic oil and putting on more miles, it would be wise to change the filter along with the oil. That is what I do, not worth going cheap on such a cheap thing, imho.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Romans. I'll pick up the washer kit.
I agree I usually change the oil and filter together. I wasn't really at the interval to change either but decided to put fresh oil in and I wasn't able to pick up a filter before the store closed, so I just put fresh oil in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts