Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi!
It's hard to say, because it's dirty all over. Is the little plastic bottle also full? Why don't You clean your engine first, wipe all the dirt off and then it will be very easy to find the leak.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with tehnis: clean the engine and the source of the leak will be a lot more obvious. Could be the clutch cover gasket perhaps?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The little plastic bottle is full. Should I empty it out? It was full when I bought the bike last week. I will clean the engine and post some new pics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, empty the bottle. It collects oil that is vented from your crank case breather and into the airbox. Open your airbox and see if it has a bunch of oil in it too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The little plastic bottle is full. Should I empty it out?
Yes! That's why I asked ;)
Seems like we found the possible leak reason ;)

Sorry for oftopic, but is this Your first experience with VN800 engine? Make sure Your valves are adjusted! Never relay on previous owner.
If any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/56-vulcan-800/16917-valve-adjust-notes-i-just-did-em.html
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/56-vulcan-800/146369-valve-adjustment-basic-questions-2.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! That's why I asked ;)
Seems like we found the possible leak reason ;)

Sorry for oftopic, but is this Your first experience with VN800 engine? Make sure Your valves are adjusted! Never relay on previous owner.
If any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/56-vulcan-800/16917-valve-adjust-notes-i-just-did-em.html
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/56-vulcan-800/146369-valve-adjustment-basic-questions-2.html
Yes tehnis, this is my first experience with any motorcycle engine lol. I did do research and knew these engines needed valve adjustments but I'm not comfortable doing this process and will take it to a mechanic. Hopefully it's not more than a couple hundred bucks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
as your bike motor pushes out oil mist from the crankcase, the blowby mist goes to the air intake box, and suppose to be recycled back into the intake for combustion, excess oil will run down the inside of the air box and down a tube the a little bottle at the front of the motor, if it fills up , the oil can back up and overflow around the motor, maybe that's what you see, you may be seeing backed up crankcase oil mist from the full bottle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks btom and all for the help so far. I'm going to empty the bottle, run it for a few minutes and report back with what I find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So yesterday I emptied the little plastic bottle and checked the air filter, sure enough it was covered in oil. Looks like once the oil in the bottle filled up it starting backing up in the air filter and cover.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
If the oil is at the high side of the fill window and or you do a lot of higher RPM riding, it will tend to push more oil into the filter housing. Over filling really shows in the air filter until the level drops some.

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Disconnect the hose from the filter box and route it to a small filter down at the bottom of the bike some where. Oil in the intake does your plugs and combustion chamber no good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Disconnect the hose from the filter box and route it to a small filter down at the bottom of the bike some where. Oil in the intake does your plugs and combustion chamber no good.
If I do this oil will just drip from the filter right?

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
If I do this oil will just drip from the filter right?

Yes, but if you don't over fill the engine with oil, the discharge will be minimal. Easier to clean a small filter occasionally than deal with fouled plugs and a dirty carb. A trick we do on our Yamaha Roadstars is to disconnect the vent hose from the back of the filter box (plug the box hole) and run it up the backbone of the frame under the gas tank and put this filter (link below and available from any auto store for $3) on the end under the front of the tank. This puts the filter higher than the vent so any oil discharge just runs down hill and back into the engine. Search the Roadstar Clinic for the Erbman mod.

Filters | Coolant, Hydraulic & Miscellaneous Filters | Hastings® CB32 Crankcase Breather Filter Plastic Housing - Pkg Qty 2 | B906370 - GlobalIndustrial.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts