Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Just a guess here.
When you had the value cover off, there is a aluminum tube around the spark plug which has an o-ring on the top and bottom. The o-rings prevent oil from getting into the spark plug space. That little hole that you see on the side of the cylinder head just above the head gasket is where the oil will come out if the o-rings have been damaged and are now allowing oil into the spark plug cavity. The only cure for this is to remove the value cover, remove the aluminum tube and replace the two o-rings and be careful not to damage them when re-installing the valve cover.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for response, awaiting new o-rings now, hopefully I won't damage them. I'll give an update once I get around to changing them. Most likely I damaged them because I have trouble separating the tube from the cylinder head when checking the valve clearance. My method is to use a plastic tool to wedge between the tube and cylinder head to tap it loose. Any tips to make this process easier?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the o-rings. so far looks like the leak has stopped. Thanks again for that information. Looks like the previous owner used a flat O-ring on one end and a rounded O-ring on the other end. I probably flipped the ends causing a leak by having the flat end down instead of up.
Just a guess here.
When you had the value cover off, there is a aluminum tube around the spark plug which has an o-ring on the top and bottom. The o-rings prevent oil from getting into the spark plug space. That little hole that you see on the side of the cylinder head just above the head gasket is where the oil will come out if the o-rings have been damaged and are now allowing oil into the spark plug cavity. The only cure for this is to remove the value cover, remove the aluminum tube and replace the two o-rings and be careful not to damage them when re-installing the valve cover.
Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts