Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2011 vulcan voyager with nearly 24000 miles. I noticed oil leak where I park my motorcycle. Upon further inspection, I found out that there is oil leak near the shifter and the chrome cover on top of it. Did anyone have similar experience? ANy feedback is appreciated. Is it an easy fix DIY?

·
Registered
669 Posts
A picture would help. That chrome cover near the shifter linkage is over top of the rear pulley, and the clutch slave cylinder and push-rod. You should take the chrome outer cover and the black inner pulley cover beneath it off to investigate further the source of your leak.

It's all easy to get to. Just tape or zip tie your clutch lever to the grip when you take the slave cylinder off so the piston doesn't creep out & dump your fluid. Instructions are in the workshop manual.

It could be as simple as your oil level being too high.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's further forward than the shifter linkage - nowhere near where I thought. If you're not comfortable tearing into it to see exactly where the leak is coming from, you should probably take it to a dealer you trust?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hard to tell from the photos but i suspect the leak is from the alternator wire harness grommet.
The harness comes through the bottom of the crankcase at the seam for the alternator cover, the proper fix would be removing the cover and replacing the gasket and re-sealing the grommet with hylomar or equivalent.
Try cleaning the area with solvent and look close at the grommet for oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to tell from the photos but i suspect the leak is from the alternator wire harness grommet.
The harness comes through the bottom of the crankcase at the seam for the alternator cover, the proper fix would be removing the cover and replacing the gasket and re-sealing the grommet with hylomar or equivalent.
Try cleaning the area with solvent and look close at the grommet for oil.

Sounds about right. I see a lot of oil around the alternator wire harness. I'll clean up that are and try to check for the leak. Let's say, if it is a leak there, is it a easy DIY to replace the gasket? (I'm due for an oil change)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had the cover off to replace a stator, I wouldn't say it's an easy job but no special tools needed. Oil and coolant will have to drained, and get a service manual for the procedures and torques. The cover is difficult to remove because the magnet in the rotor in super strong.
If you can determine for sure the grommet is leaking you might try removing the battery and laying the bike on it's side, pry at the grommet to open a gap, wash it clean with solvent and squeeze sealant all around it. May be a long shot but would beat pulling the motor apart.
Be sure to use the proper sealant, must be compatible with petroleum, silicon won't work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
+1 to what gv550 says. I had that grommet leak on my 900 after a stator replacement and was able to super clean around it with a rag, cotton swab and solvent, then apply rtv silicon thickly around the grommet, wires etc. It looked like a mess but the outside cover conceals it. Some rtv silicones are gas and oil resistant; you just need to read the labels to be sure. It actually worked and was a whole lot easier than taking that casing apart again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleaned the rubber grommet. It's hard to tell if the leak is from the grommet as of now. I cleaned the area and will install the rtv seal and see how it goes... Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
That magnet is really strong. I just kept working the cover back and forth. Pull hard but don't use any tools to pry it off. It'll damage the cover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the cover off. I didn't realize that I have to remove coolant line. Is there a gasket I need to put back or can I use a gasket sealant?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Finally got the cover off. I didn't realize that I have to remove coolant line. Is there a gasket I need to put back or can I use a gasket sealant?
I would recommend replacing the gasket. It's not worth the risk with sealant IMO. The manual does say to use Kawasaki silicone sealant on the two wire grommets. I believe it's the same as rtv sealant which is what I used without issues.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What is the torque value for crank case? I tried using vaquero service manual and broke a bolt 😞
Per the service manual for Nomad

Crankcase bolts (M10) - 29 foot pounds
Crankcase bolts (M6) - 106 INCH pounds

1 - 16 of 16 Posts