Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If searched on here and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.. I have an oil leak on my custom and think it might be the oil screen, but I don't know since I've only seen pics of screens but not where they go, thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oil is leaking from that hole, I don't know what goes in there.. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a classic, but that is not where the oil screen is on mine...Its on the opposite side facing to the side hiding behind the frame... Not sure what goes there...sorry
I hope you fix it soon..

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
If searched on here and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.. I have an oil leak on my custom and think it might be the oil screen, but I don't know since I've only seen pics of screens but not where they go, thanks

If I'm not mistaken, that drain comes from your water pump seal. Is this a new bike or used? It's been reported by others that they experienced leaks for the first few miles after taking delivery of their new bike. That's why I ask. Otherwise, if it's an older bike then you need to replace the water pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had it since new, has over 5k miles on it.. I hope that's not it cause sounds like an expensive repair...

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

What happens if you wipe it clean and let it run for a while (driveway or garage), then let it sit. From the pic it doesn't look like oil is coming from the hole. Almost looks like it's coming from the drain plug and pooling back toward the hole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bottom of the bike was actually covered in oil, so I cleaned it good and rode around for about 5 min and this is the pic from that. It is coming from the hole, it's just leaning on the stand toward that way.

Been researching and as Sojo said, might be the seal on the water pump. If anyone has any info on that, it would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If it's a burst water-pump seal, I would think coolant would also be involved. I had a water-pump seal burst on a '86 Camero and coolant went flying, but no oil. Do you have a service manual, might list what could be taking place.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Here's a page from the service manual on water-pump inspection. This is a passage for coolant to drain if the water-pump seal goes bad. Not sure why oil would come from there (especially with no coolant mixed in). Still looking through the service manual. Hope you can read this....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Here's a page from the service manual on water-pump inspection. This is a passage for coolant to drain if the water-pump seal goes bad. Not sure why oil would come from there (especially with no coolant mixed in). Still looking through the service manual. Hope you can read this.... still do not know how to paste in the bigger pics of anything like I have seen on this forum.
Bosco, see if you agree that the oil seal, ref. crankcase #92049A, may be leaking and would also dump into that drain cavity.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Oil screen

The oil screen resides behind this plug. It faces the sidestand mount on the left side of the bike. There is no need to remove this screen on a routine basis. Check for the presences of oil in the coolant reservoir.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Bosco, see if you agree that the oil seal, ref. crankcase #92049A, may be leaking and would also dump into that drain cavity.
It's possible if the oil seal / mech seal / ball bearings are bad. But would still expect to see coolant in the mix. Or, as mentioned oil in the coolant reservoir. If it's the oil seal the case has to be split to replace it. So, I would want to make absolutely sure it's the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
It's possible if the oil seal / mech seal / ball bearings are bad. But would still expect to see coolant in the mix. Or, as mentioned oil in the coolant reservoir. If it's the oil seal the case has to be split to replace it. So, I would want to make absolutely sure it's the problem.
I would think the seal would be pressed in after the engine internals were assembled. The bearing would be inside the case but the seal should be installed from the outside then the water pump. Never had one apart but just thinking how I would design it.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Take a good look at what's really leaking. The anti-freeze is kind of emerald green, and slimy. Oil will be more brown. Also, don't drive until you check the coolant level as it can already be too low to properly cool the engine.
The water pump water seal can be replaced easily, but recommend a good dealer do this. If you try it and screw up the mechanical shaft, bearing, or shaft seal, then the engine has to come apart- completely apart!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I would think the seal would be pressed in after the engine internals were assembled. The bearing would be inside the case but the seal should be installed from the outside then the water pump. Never had one apart but just thinking how I would design it.
Agree with you. The service manual seems to reference the mech bearing / seal as a combination. Did make much sense to me, but have never gone this far with a motorcycle engine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
First bring the oil level to the center of the window if it is above it at all. Clean off and road test. I once had similar problem with my 09.
Just hoping it is somthing simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First bring the oil level to the center of the window if it is above it at all. Clean off and road test. I once had similar problem with my 09.
Just hoping it is somthing simple.
I've already done this, cleaned everything well and it's just oil coming out.
I got around to checking the coolant by pulling the cap off, and I didn't see any signs of oil, none on the cap or lip and none floating... Stuck my finger in there and the coolant felt a little oily but soon dried completely. The only other way I know to check it is by draining completely but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to... Any other options short of taking it to the stealership??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so I just rode it around for about 5 mins, came back home, used a white paper towel, and wiped the bottom off... Now, it's very hard to tell (had to ask the wife for a second opinion) but it appears the oil may have a greenish tint....

·
Registered
217 Posts
You could go down to the kaw dealership and talk to a cycle tech about the problem. Chances are they have seen it before and you could get an idea of what is going on, weather you can fix the problem or not, and what it will cost..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts