Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I put on a Hypercharger. I plugged up the breather hose that people marble. Yesterday I noticed oil leaking from the center disc on the outside of the hypercharger. I haven't had time to disassemble. But wondering why I would get oil there. A little scared it might mean trouble. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Do you mean that you plugged the air intake to the reed valves and not the breather? The engine needs a breather. Otherwise crankcase pressure can build up and you can blow seals. Piston rings do not provide a 100% seal and some combustion products do get into the crankcase under pressure. A number of folks run the breather to a separate air filter or straight to the ground, after making mods to their intakes.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it the way the instructions told me. It has been over a year, so who knows what I screwed up. I kept the paperwork so I will have to take things apart and see. I physically haven't been able to ride for most of this year, and put the filter on middle of last year, so I haven't needed to clean the filter yet. So I haven't disassembled anything since I put it on.

Whats seals may have I blown? Scaring me now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am assuming that the hyperchager gets hooked up the same as any other air cleaner in which case this is normal. There is a vent hose from the crank case that allows oil to get to the air filter just clean it up and keep it moving.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
To add to the previous post. If oil has been over filled in the crank case it will blow out through the breather tube, and if connected to the intake as most are at the bottom it will collect the oil there and leak out. The 9's stock airbox has the same set up with a little bubble collector that can be drained and clean out from time to time. I figured this out when I over filled on my first oil change, has not happened since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most likely some excess oil from the crankcase breather hose. Regardless of the intake you have, this hose should enter into the filtered side of the assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
One way of avoiding the accumulation of blow-by oil in the air cleaner is to replace the hose coming from the engine case with a longer piece that is routed up to the backbone of the frame then down to the air cleaner housing, or simply to the bottom of the bike frame venting to atmosphere.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally got around to disassembling my hypercharger today (7 months after the OG post). I actually completely removed the hypercharger so I could get some pics. Glad I did, cuz the screws that hold the adapter plate onto the throttle body were really locked into place. Steel screws into aluminum. So when I put it back together I put some thread sealant on them.

Anyhow I took pics of the hoses.

Here is the hose that adapts to the back of the adapter. Don't like the look of the oil around where it attaches to the engine.

And this is the one they said to cap off. There is no way that this could adapt. I am pretty sure that I caped the correct hose.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Well I finally got around to disassembling You maybe getting some blow by bat if it's not much I wouldn't worry.my hypercharger today (7 months after the OG post). I actually completely removed the hypercharger so I could get some pics. Glad I did, cuz the screws that hold the adapter plate onto the throttle body were really locked into place. Steel screws into aluminum. So when I put it back together I put some thread sealant on them.

Anyhow I took pics of the hoses.

Here is the hose that adapts to the back of the adapter. Don't like the look of the oil around where it attaches to the engine.

And this is the one they said to cap off. There is no way that this could adapt. I am pretty sure that I caped the correct hose.

I'am surprised both hoses are not connected. But I understand the top one. the bottom hose how wet is the hose? It doesn't appear too wet, You maybe getting some blow by but if it's not much I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what that top hose connected to on the factory airbox. If I figure everything out right I plan to make a video showing coversion to the hypercharger. And while it's opened up how to remove secondary throttle plates.

I took pictures inside past the primary plates and you can see the intake air and condition. Would like opinion on that.

First pic is the front jug

Second is a better shot of the front jug

This shows the rear jug

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
The top hose connected to the top of the air box for the air switch. So having it plugged is not a big issue. You basically did the marble mod.

As for the intake it looks clean. Not sure what appears to be marks on the back of the intake are or what would create such marks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts